• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fuzzyone

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
MN
Does anyone here have any experiece with tomahawks. I know that there are several manufactures, thats the problem. I hope to learn from your experiences.

Thank you,

Fuzzyone....

Re: Tomahawks

You might want to look at the Cold Steel Trail Hawk and the COld Steel Norse Hawk. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't you watch Top Shot? It's all in the shoulders, haha.</div></div> We don't get The History Channel here, but for some reason I can tell you what's going on in the Cricket World Cup!
laugh.gif

I was more curious as to why a tomahawk question was in the marksmanship forum......

Sorry that I posted on the wrong page, won't happen again.

Fuzzyone.......

actually the follow through after the release is critical..

If serious get a good old style single edge hawk head that slides tight up a taper handle and about a half dozen good hickory replacement handles... mount a wood block on a tripod in front of a 8 foot by 12 foot privacy fence..

a trip to a primitive rendevous could get you pointed in the right direction..... then practice .....

you need to learn the rotations for given distance and the hold and force required to acheive a blade first stick.....get to where you can hit a card on a 4x4 post and you might find it a useful weapon.... good luck!!!

Dang Big Joe,Please tell me that's for camping, fire wood, small tree clearing, that thing would make me want to get shot instead of being hit with that! LOL!

i have the one with the smaller handle (shrike) use it for breaching, break locks, brake and rake windows, etc. very usefull tools. i don't think of it as a weapon, some BAD BAD shit has to happen for me to go to the hawk

hydro, i don't think we loaned them some, i think we gave them to them. (at taxpayers' expense).

tomahawks are for people that run out of ammo lol

they look cool....

we had a fresh Lt. in iraq that loved to carry one and it was pretty dumb. cool thing and all but come on...

but i guess for throwing around in the back yard that could be fun but the practicality for combat is not to good in my mind

Although I have practiced for many years at throwing knives and other edged weapons, I continue to believe that there are far too many variables that can go wrong when you throw a weapon at someone else. You can screw up your throw, estimate distance wrong so the weapon does not hit as you want it to, simply miss, or many other problems.

Then the real problem starts when you realize that you are now without a weapon, and the person you threw your last weapon toward, picks up your weapon and decides to keep ahold of it, and use it to end your life. You should have kept your last weapon when you had the chance. Darwin rules.

Hawks aren't always thrown, and are deadly when used in hand-to-hand CQB in which they offer significant advantages over a knife. I ordered a custom hawk 2 years ago from Isaiah Harrill of Rogue Forge ([email protected]). The advantages of ordering a custom hawk are better steel, better design features (like having a tapered eye where the head slides on from the bottom of the handle so it cannot come off during use), and sheath included for only a little more than you would pay for a commercial mass-produced hawk.

I'd add some nice pics, but can't figure out how to attach them. !@#$%

Carried one for years on my LBE. I was taught to throw it by an old Virginia black powder Mountain man. Throwing them was and still is for fun around the camp. They are great camp tools with lethal capability. If you want to really want to focus on the martial aspect of it work on striking, paring, hooking and slashing techniques.

Or if reality sets in, how to spit camp wood, butcher game ect.
As said above I like a single blade model with a hickory handle and flat striking surface on the back of the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southern_Partisan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....deadly when used in hand-to-hand CQB... </div></div>

Too bad Magua does not give lessons.

Not a true tomahawk but as a tool the little Gerbers are tough to beat. The fiberglass handle can take a beating but the flair at the bottom makes it a poor choice for throwing. I can be pretty minimalist for equipment sometimes but the weight to value ratio is high for it.

Whenever I think of a tomahawk as a weapon I think of the scene in Patriot when crazy mel ambushes that group and goes to the tomahawk...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzyone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here have any experiece with tomahawks. I know that there are several manufactures, thats the problem. I hope to learn from your experiences.

Thank you,

Fuzzyone....
</div></div>

Has somebody been playing COD Black Ops?

I'm an ornamental Blacksmith, I make Axe's and Knives, never understood why you would wanna throw away your weapon/tool like that. If you want a nice hand made Axe, call Joe DeLaRonde, you can google his contact info. The Army wouldn't let me bring my Axe over here with me, I can have an M4, M9, A Gerber but no knives over 3 inches. gotta love it.

When the French were nothing more than a barbaric hord running rampent in Europe they used an axe called the Francisca. They would often start the battle throwing these weapons at the enemy in such a way that they would bounce off the floor, and hit their opponents in unpridictable ways. It proved effective enough for them to spawn their own country in which it derives its name.
Proved effective then and can be today if you know what your doing. Like most weapons its effectiveness is dependent on the user. Practice enough and you'll begin to see advantages of having one. The fact its silent is a plus. Easly available anywhere you go making it replacable. Practice is alot cheaper than using a gun IMO which is an other plus if you ask me. The more you practice the better you get, and we all know practice makes perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbtA0TIyoI8

Most of the "Hawks" that I have tried like the SOG are too lightweight and don't have good balance.

A good solid heavy head, with a counter balanced handle, will do the work for you.

I have never tried throwing one, just used it as a workhorse while out running around in the woods.

Per the clip above, given it is Hollywood, they can make one hell of a CQB weapon if you know what you are doing!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

My tomahawk beats your tomahawk...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIyjbYxDQNQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIyjbYxDQNQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Norcal Phoenix said:
Not a true tomahawk but as a tool the little Gerbers are tough to beat. The fiberglass handle can take a beating but the flair at the bottom makes it a poor choice for throwing.
I have one of those right next to me. I bought it as a handy tool to carry on an elk hunt that never happened. It is light and would be much better than a knife for many tasks in the woods.

Rangers? Tomahawks?
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfdY0NMDqYQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfdY0NMDqYQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly are the fundamentals of tomahawk marksmanship? </div></div> Whenever I need a good laugh I just come here...........nothing gets missed, and I love the rehtoric. Too funny!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzyone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here have any experiece with tomahawks. I know that there are several manufactures, thats the problem. I hope to learn from your experiences.

Thank you,

Fuzzyone....
</div></div>

Has somebody been playing COD Black Ops? </div></div>

Yeah..........ME! And now I'm stuck with that damed tommyhawk & cant' get out without gettin' killed.
frown.gif

A true hawk with a sharpened underside (beard) of the primary blade is an awesome weapon and tool as long as you keep it in your hand. Strike, block, push parry, hooking, are only some of the interesting things you can do with them as weapon. As a tool, I don't think there will be much argument about the usefulness of a decent hawk or hatchet.