• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too Many Barrels... I Am Lost

@TonyTheTiger said that Rosco Mft. makes a better barrel than they have any reason to make, given the low cost. I don’t know, but he shoots way more than I do. I’ve got one coming to me, based on his rec.
I do say that. I hope your experience mirrors mine and I didn't just get a freak barrel.

Reactions: Jsp556
I really had no clue just how diverse the barrel world is and I am not afraid to admit that I am stuck. Here is what I am hoping to find... 16" barrel, 2lbs and under to keep it lighter, 223 Wylde chambering, will be using this for possible courses and bench shooting so I would like to a do a bit of everything well if possible. My wallet cap is probably around $350.

Based on your criteria the below is a no brainer.
On sale as of now. Sale Price shows in cart only.

Couldn’t find any reviews on these so I’ll be your Hukleberry.
Ordered one last night. No idea how long the sale is, but they’re 20% off all proof barrels right now & that’s an additional 20 off their advertised “sale price”.

The AR 15 Button Rifled Barrels are available in the 223 Wylde 8 Twist 16.25" .750 Mid Gas Length

A1201D13-BAB5-4585-86A0-4A609295C6E1.png

Reactions: JS8588
Must have had a bug when you got that price. It will not give me the $59.80 discount you showed.

Must have had a bug when you got that price. It will not give me the $59.80 discount you showed.
Sale probably ended at midnight e.t. on the 5th.
Was still working for me last night. Couldn’t resist at that price.

I have a few BSF barrels, some of my friends have them as well. They are super light and work well for us. I wouldn‘t say they are great mag-dump barrels but they are accurate, and very light for normal shooting.

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread. Didn't make my choices much easier with all the debate though hahah!

I did actually end up ordering the Rainier 223 Wylde in a 16". I know it was a tad outside my budget but I figured for the quality, it would be worth it in the long run (and it's pretty in line with most barrel's in terms of weight so that's nice). I appreciate all the help!

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread. Didn't make my choices much easier with all the debate though hahah!

I did actually end up ordering the Rainier 223 Wylde in a 16". I know it was a tad outside my budget but I figured for the quality, it would be worth it in the long run (and it's pretty in line with most barrel's in terms of weight so that's nice). I appreciate all the help!

Congrats. Surely you're going to let us know, specifically, which barrel that you decided on. :)

Thanks,
Keith

For anyone researching this topic, I would skimp anywhere possible and put ALL possible money into the barrel for your first precision build. Cheap bolt carrier, standard charging handle, cheap lower parts kit, etc.

The key to barrel price is NOT going fluted. Fluting makes hitting your weight goal easy but is very expensive costing almost half your current barrel budget on a custom barrel. I would not get a Criterion, personally, too hit or miss in my experience. I would look at a CLE and WOA on sale but ask them specifically about their 16" SPR profile weights. Some exceed 32oz. slightly. That Ranier 16" may be over 32oz. as well.

Also, be prepared to try lots of different factory loads to see what your barrel likes and be prepared to buy 1000+ rounds of the EXACT lot of ammo you find your barrel likes, not just make/model/weight but the actual LOT. Ammo is AS important as the barrel when it comes to accuracy and if you find a .5 MOA loading you need to buy it in bulk because seating depth, powder, primer seating/sealing, etc. frequently change in factory ammo. You can tune any handload via seating depth, but factory ammo is what it is and the "same" ammo is only the same in a given lot.

So, how'd it turn out?