• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too many trees...

Cira

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
I belong to a range that has a 500 yard line, which is great fun to shoot. I'm really interested in trying 1000 yards but there just isn't any place I can find. 600 yards is the longest range in the state. Up here in New Hampshire, there's just way too many trees :)

I've asked around some local guys and no one has any ideas. The only thing I could think of is along stretches of power lines in the woods. The problems with that are they are tough to get to and usually littered with ATV trails. So I don't feel comfortable.

Aside from moving out west, does anyone have any ideas on 1000+ shots in New England? Are there any clubs or competitions that might help me find a place to shoot?

Re: Too many trees...

I went to SE Maine and shot across a lake where a friend's parents have some property, range out to the little island with the target was ~1200y

We also shot down the beach for about 700 yd

We also shot in a logging clear cut that hadn't grown up too much. It did require us to use a 2x4 that placed the targets about 6' above the ground so that the grasses didn't obscure the targets.

Backdrop was a mountain.

stihl.jpg

Fort Drum has a 1000 yd range and I think they just had a .50cal shoot there this year. Look for Nick Mull.

Be careful shooting across water. It's illegal in most places.

Maine has areas up past Bangor to shoot long if you can get up high enough on a cleared hill.

NH and VT are tough unless you own a ton of land and can go across a valley. That in itself has issues.

Powerlines are a bad idea.

Regards,

Mountain Rogue

LOL at the chainsaw. Maybe I have to buy myself a few hundred acres first. :)

Someone else mentioned http://www.pemi.org/ was planning for a 1000 yard range. I contacted them and they are still quite a ways from being complete if they ever finish it at all.

For the mil bases, do they generally allow civs to shoot the ranges or only former mil? During special events or something?