• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Too much Scope?NF

LineofDeparture

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
New Roads, La
Well guys i received my second NF 5.5-22x56mm NpR1 zs,MOA/MOA for a current Gap-10 that i am having built.(should be done Feb-1 or so) I think i may have purchased too much scope. Anyone have any input that may have a gap 10 already? I mounted this identical scope on my TRG-42 338 and I feel in love with it.... Im thinking i should have stepped down to the 3.5-15x50 since i will be using this Gap-10 to deer hunt as well as plink steel at long ranges...

Re: Too much Scope?NF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the same setup on my 308 for quite a while and never thought it was too much.</div></div>

Im glad you said this.... Gives me a little warm fuzzy..

Too much for deer hunting unless all your shots will be over 100 yds. I tried hunting with my GAP 10 and found it to heavy. I have a 2.5-10x32 NF on it. Never had a situation where I needed more scope.
Granted I move a lot and hunt with dogs...

depends entirely on how/where you hunt.

here in Va you would be lucky to get shots over 100 yrds unless it was across a field. where we hunt the deer are smart enough to only graze the fields after dark so most of our shots are in relatively thick woods.

for here, its probably too much scope for a shot on a 60-100 yard runner. across the fields it would be great but you'd need night vision.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much for deer hunting unless all your shots will be over 100 yds. I tried hunting with my GAP 10 and found it to heavy. I have a 2.5-10x32 NF on it. Never had a situation where I needed more scope.
Granted I move a lot and hunt with dogs...</div></div>

I do a lot of still hunting. Not so much dogs. But I'm starting to think ill keep my toys separate from my hunting tools....Back to the old browning...:)

I have a 3.5-15 on my 308 and I sure would like to have more power some days. Going from 3.5 to 5.5 in the low end is not that big of a deal. If you are walking around and shooting either on the low end will work unless you are right there.

If you're just shooting "deer" about any ole scope will do. If you want that special buck, extra power is really nice, especialy when you aren't going to have time to switch from binos to the scope. Even if so, it's easier to grade a buck with a 15+ power scope than 10X binos. I use a 6.5-20 and a couple of 6-18's. I hunted with my MWS a couple of days than went back to the BAR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you feel it is to much scope turn it back from 22 power to 15 real simple</div></div>

uh...... or 5.5

Scopes are simple -buy for purpose.If you hunt and need to lift that rifle to free shoot then a heavy scope with big mag even if wound down wont be as good as a smaller lighter "hunting scope".
If youre prone alot then weight doesnt matter get as much as magnification as you can an alter the power to suit -it aint hard to work out

If I were going to try and reduce the size of the scope you mentioned I would still go with the 5.5-22, just get the 50mm objective instead.
I don't think you'll feel "over-scoped" with any of them on your GAP10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were going to try and reduce the size of the scope you mentioned I would still go with the 5.5-22, just get the 50mm objective instead.
I don't think you'll feel "over-scoped" with any of them on your GAP10. </div></div>
I would have to agree, but i already purchased the 56mm.. oh well ill rock on with it...

I've got a 5.5-22x56 on my .243wssm coyote/deer AR and a 8-32x56 on my 300saum AR10 I use for deer and long range.
I've never felt over scoped with either one and I'm considering switching to put the larger 8-32 on my wssm.
I have no problem getting on a hard charging dog with 8x and I will benefit from more elevation in the 5.5x22 on the .300saum