• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Too old for the military

Bowman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2009
Last week I made a decision to join the military...again. I was an 0311 in the Marine Corps from 94-98 and thought that it was worth another try. This time around I really had my heart set on being a helicopter pilot. I was open to any type of helo pilot...it didn't have to be an attack capacity.

I went to the Army (they have the best helicopters) and spoke with a good man, Sgt Page. He advised me that the pilot program eligibility age ends at 30 years old (recently reduced). I'm 5 years past that. I thought for some reason that rotor wing pilots were allowed to be older....I was wrong. I explained that I would sign a contract that would include multiple voluntary deployments along with mandatory pumps. I also volunteered to take the Warrant Officer route in attempt to back door the pilot program. I was continuously denied. I thanked Sgt Page for his time and walked into all the other armed forces, recruiting offices.

I was rejected 5 times in a row for the pilot program. Jesus Christ...when did 35 become the new ol' fart? I've never been 0 for 5 before....it's a humbling eye-opener and it sucks.

I'm still interested in aviation and guess I will pursue the civilian side as a hobby. The only problem with that is it will cost an arm and a leg and take a hell of a lot longer.

I would appreciate any advise on aviation (both military and civilian). Also, if anybody knows how to obtain any crazy waivers to back door ANY military flight program....I am game to try.

Re: Too old for the military

Right now the military is shrinking, the economy is bad, and people right out of college are getting turned away from pilot.
Enlisted trying to move up and fly are being denied and sent in other directions.
As I am 2 months away from retiring at 41. I will miss the military and miss military flying. My last tour is in the training command, teaching flight students. I haven't seen anyone get around the "rules".

Thanks for the heads up maxpower. If I could do my life all over again, I would've had a career wrecker transfer me into pilot training during my USMC enlistment. Isn't hindsight a bitch?

I'm pretty envious that you are training. Your flight hours must be going through the roof. I wonder if flight hours are being cut across the board in the military. Seems like deployment or training is the best way to get stick time.

Bowman, training any military aviator requires a sizable investment. The government requires a return on that investment. 35 is not old, but the hard truth is that as we age things are more likely to function incorrectly or break. Aviation Medicine is pretty discerning, and it doesn't take much to get grounded by a flight doc. A 22 year-old is more likely to return more on an investment than a 35 year-old. It's in the government's best interest to screen out older applicants. And like maxpower said, things in the services are very competitive, right now. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Best of luck.

Bowman,
You owe it to yourself to get at least get a private pilots license (fixed wing for me) if you have your heart set on flying, That's what I did. I was in the Marine Corps 87-92 0341. I got my private while I was in college after the corps.

At least take the written exam and go take lessons until you solo, you can proceed at your own pace. ( and Yes I know its expensive) but at least then you will know.

I promise you won't regret it. I never pursued it as a career but always in the back of my mind is an "escape plan" to be a bush pilot in Alaska.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowman,
You owe it to yourself to get at least get a private pilots license (fixed wing for me) if you have your heart set on flying, That's what I did. I was in the Marine Corps 87-92 0341. I got my private while I was in college after the corps.

At least take the written exam and go take lessons until you solo, you can proceed at your own pace. ( and Yes I know its expensive) but at least then you will know.

I promise you won't regret it. I never pursued it as a career but always in the back of my mind is an "escape plan" to be a bush pilot in Alaska.

Good luck and let us know how it goes </div></div>

HAHA! That sounds like a good plan. There is a local airport about 5 minutes away from me that offers introductory flights. I'll probably start there and see where it takes me. Thanks for the reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowman, training any military aviator requires a sizable investment. The government requires a return on that investment. 35 is not old, but the hard truth is that as we age things are more likely to function incorrectly or break. Aviation Medicine is pretty discerning, and it doesn't take much to get grounded by a flight doc. A 22 year-old is more likely to return more on an investment than a 35 year-old. It's in the government's best interest to screen out older applicants. And like maxpower said, things in the services are very competitive, right now. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Best of luck. </div></div>

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct. I don't like it but if I were running the military I would probably have the same policy. Return on investment is the big picture here. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I will pursue flight in the private sector and see what happens there.

Crazy Thought, re-enlist and pay for flight school with the GI bill and top up. What rank were you when you left? Just something to ponder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bowman, training any military aviator requires a sizable investment. The government requires a return on that investment. 35 is not old, but the hard truth is that as we age things are more likely to function incorrectly or break. Aviation Medicine is pretty discerning, and it doesn't take much to get grounded by a flight doc. A 22 year-old is more likely to return more on an investment than a 35 year-old. It's in the government's best interest to screen out older applicants. And like maxpower said, things in the services are very competitive, right now. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Best of luck. </div></div>

Also, in case you did not know: the pay back is a 8-9 year commitment after you get your wings. Typical flight training is 18-24 months. Starting right now, you would be 37-38 and would then owe 8 years. mid to late 40s and you you would need to do a few more years to be retirement eligible.

Go take the intro flight at your local airport. It should be around $50-75. You should get some stick time and see if that is where you want to spend your money. If not, you got a cheap plane ride over your house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last week I made a decision to join the military...again. I was an 0311 in the Marine Corps from 94-98 and thought that it was worth another try. This time around I really had my heart set on being a helicopter pilot. I was open to any type of helo pilot...it didn't have to be an attack capacity.

I went to the Army (they have the best helicopters) and spoke with a good man, Sgt Page. He advised me that the pilot program eligibility age ends at 30 years old (recently reduced). I'm 5 years past that. I thought for some reason that rotor wing pilots were allowed to be older....I was wrong. I explained that I would sign a contract that would include multiple voluntary deployments along with mandatory pumps. I also volunteered to take the Warrant Officer route in attempt to back door the pilot program. I was continuously denied. I thanked Sgt Page for his time and walked into all the other armed forces, recruiting offices.

I was rejected 5 times in a row for the pilot program. Jesus Christ...when did 35 become the new ol' fart? I've never been 0 for 5 before....it's a humbling eye-opener and it sucks.

I'm still interested in aviation and guess I will pursue the civilian side as a hobby. The only problem with that is it will cost an arm and a leg and take a hell of a lot longer.

I would appreciate any advise on aviation (both military and civilian). Also, if anybody knows how to obtain any crazy waivers to back door ANY military flight program....I am game to try. </div></div>

Lets face it Bowman, your an old fart, used up, past your prime, burnt out, no good for nothin but a badge. LOL. What does that maked me at 61? Dont answer that.

Have you looked into ultralights. Perhaps a cheaper way to get your wings.

Things are about to get tight in the military! Reduction in forces is looming just around the corner with proposed cuts ranging from severely drastic to still pretty bad and the final outcome still has to be decided by congress.
Do more with less is going to be the norm in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Things are about to get tight in the military! Reduction in forces is looming just around the corner with proposed cuts ranging from severely drastic to still pretty bad and the final outcome still has to be decided by congress.
Do more with less is going to be the norm in the future. </div></div>

Concur...One of the FEW areas not really being touched too bad by the cuts is the Speacial Ops community. I know it's not avaition...but if you wanted back in and are a PT stud that could be a route. GENERALLY speaking the military will subtract the number of years you have in from your actual age...making you 31 in the eyes of the Marine Corps. I came back in after being out 7 years...

The military is thinking of doing some ridiculous cuts.

I picked up a copy of the air force times, and what do you know... BLAM

Front page states:

44 Generals added, 43,000 Airmen cut.

I mean, i know we're top heavy, but holy hell, what kind of fucked logic is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The military is thinking of doing some ridiculous cuts.

Front page states:

I mean, i know we're top heavy, but holy hell, what kind of fucked logic is that? </div></div>

We have more General Officers now than during WWII...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The military is thinking of doing some ridiculous cuts.

Front page states:

I mean, i know we're top heavy, but holy hell, what kind of fucked logic is that? </div></div>

The Army is looking at reduction of generals and I'm betting the Airforce will down the road also. I'm concerned the military will resort to the "hollow" years of the 70's. We will be in a bad way if that happens.

Yeah, military is being sized down (like everybody already said here).

As far as encouragement goes, the only thing I can say about the military (atleast the USMC) is that truly EVERYTHING is waiverable one way or another.

And as far as hindsight goes, just refer to my signature...