• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Took a step across the line to the dark side and bought a Glock 20

Cutthroatdave

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
So, I wanted something that shoots something other than 9mm and I ended up with a Glock 20 gen 4. I took it straight to the range and put 50 rounds through it before I even left the building. I was very happy with how it shoots. My first time shooting it and I get tighter groups than I do with my M&P shield after 3,000 rounds through it. My first 3 out 4 rounds at 7 yds were touching. After that i got too confidant and careless but still ended up with a 2-1/2" group. I had an empty brass get behind my safety glasses and scratch my eye and I still shot better than I do with my M&P shield. Maybe Glocks aren't so bad.

Congrats on the purchase! What made you "pull the trigger" on the 10mm? Just wanted to own one?

I wanted something other than 9mm, something that had available ammo and something that I could legally hunt big game with in Colorado. The Glock 20 came highly praised by a few people at the range I shoot at and it fit well in my hand. It also uses the large pistol primer which seems to still be available (for now) so I can reload for it.

Reactions: soap11x
C820F4F5-C34D-47D4-8E18-4F1C1F36D9BA.jpeg

Not a big glock fan but this G40 in 10mm has been fun to shoot.

How is the venom holding up to the 10 recoil? I've got a 20 frame and a 40 slide, so basically a 20 long set up I haven't got to shoot yet. Planning on a venom on that as erll. Lone wolf milled the wrong red dot cut in it so its back in Idaho getting fixed.

Glocks have always outperformed other polymer pistols in my experience. They function, shoot on the sights. More than can be said of my SA polymers.
Just never could like them.

Reactions: TheChief
How is the venom holding up to the 10 recoil? I've got a 20 frame and a 40 slide, so basically a 20 long set up I haven't got to shoot yet. Planning on a venom on that as erll. Lone wolf milled the wrong red dot cut in it so its back in Idaho getting fixed.
Only have about 500 rds down the pipe so far, venom was mounted before a single round was fired. All pretty hot loads, max charged 180gr stuff and a few boxes of cor-bon’s. No issues so far.

The 20 is a good model for sure. You can shoot some other calibers pretty easily with minor changes. Good call.

If you don't load your own, underwood loads good full power 10mm with a good bit of variety.

Maybe a 9x25 conversion is in the cards next lol

If you use a light make sure it runs with it attached. Mine had to go back. It works now

Lone wolf milled the wrong red dot cut in it so its back in Idaho getting fixed.
Funny you mentioned that, the 10mm threaded barrel they sent me had 9mm feed ramps. Had to send it back so they could get it right the second time.

After taking it out 3 times, and 150 rounds, I like it even more. It is still proving to be significantly more accurate than my 9mm Shield. Now I just a phone call to tell me my Sig P210 came. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Reactions: Remington_Steel
Funny you mentioned that, the 10mm threaded barrel they sent me had 9mm feed ramps. Had to send it back so they could get it right the second time.

Huh. Guess we'll see how that works out on mine. Besides getting the slide put together and moving I didn't get to test anything before I sent it back.

This is 99% of 10mm guys I’ve talked to:

Day 1: “I bought a 10mm!”

Day 5: “This 10mm is awesome!”

Day 10: “I shot 100 rounds through my 10mm!”

Day 30: “This 10mm Ammo is expensive.”

Day 31: “I sold my 10mm.”

People need to learn to reload.

I also dont see a 10mm as a 200 rds 1x a week kinda gun.
a bunch at first to wear out the new and break it in.
then a couple mags every now and again.

If course I shoot a 19 and 21, so controls are very familiar already.

I like mine. RMR with suppressor height sights. I also got a barsto barrel to stop the Glock case bulge! I carry it in a chest holster at the farm and as a backup when hog hunting. I like it for farm use since I can reach out further. I Normally carry Hornady critical duty since recoil is less and I can get back on target quicker. I also have Underwood ammo for bear Defense when bird hunting in bear country.
i bought a 40S&W barrel and different weight springs since I have lots of 40 ammo and brass, although it shoots 40 just fine with the 10mm barrel.
I am planning to get a 29 as well - once I find one!

32DA98A4-D4DF-4F17-85C8-E6F02F975B5C.jpeg

Great choice on a gun. I love the 10mm, but prefer it in a 1911 or a wheel gun. It’s definitely a justification to reload. Enjoy shooting it, try to stretch out it’s legs and shoot some steel at 100+ with it.

10mm is a bad ass caliber, I've got three pistols chambered in it, one being a G20. The other two are 1911's. One is a 5", and the other is a 6.3". That one is a hunting and hiking bear defense pistol. 10mm ammo is on almost every shelf of any gun store I walk into right now, and even if all you have is range ammo for it a 180 grain pill doing 1200fps will stop most any threat.

Reactions: fanninland
G20 is easily the best 10mm option out there. G29 is a bad little bitch too but G27 just carries better --I almost wish I didn't have the G27 or didn't know the difference because I really do love that G29 and I have a kickass rig for it...

You really wanna be a handloader for these still... Supposedly 10mm is making a comeback though and they're making ammo. Only problem is contemporary 10mm ammo has been watered down to accommodate two decades of 1911 faggotry --fine pistol, just not in 10mm. So now the shit is marginally hotter than .40.

One mfg. actually sells .40 ammo that's FASTER than 10mm. WTF!? And most of it is barely 100fps faster with same weight bullet. Whole point of 10mm is 180's and 200's moving ~1200+. Or screaming 165's.

Reactions: oldfart80
I have an EAA witness match elite in 10mm, its a cz 75 clone from tanfoglio, it runs fantastic and shoots lights out compared to my g40.

G20 is easily the best 10mm option out there. G29 is a bad little bitch too but G27 just carries better --I almost wish I didn't have the G27 or didn't know the difference because I really do love that G29 and I have a kickass rig for it...

You really wanna be a handloader for these still... Supposedly 10mm is making a comeback though and they're making ammo. Only problem is contemporary 10mm ammo has been watered down to accommodate two decades of 1911 faggotry --fine pistol, just not in 10mm. So now the shit is marginally hotter than .40.

One mfg. actually sells .40 ammo that's FASTER than 10mm. WTF!? And most of it is barely 100fps faster with same weight bullet. Whole point of 10mm is 180's and 200's moving ~1200+. Or screaming 165's.

Enjoy some Underwood Ammo

That stuff there will take care of your bear and hog problem and anything else smaller

If you are looking at a group made up of pedophiles, rapists and domestic violence types chasing after you, these do some amazing stuff:

Then if you are a fan of classic blunt force punching through things try these:

You must not have bought much in the way of 10mm ammo lately. There are a ton of manufacturers out there loading to full 10mm specs now. They'll push 180's to 1250fps generally. Yeah, there are some that still load it to the .40 specs basically but they are actually the minority from what I see sitting on most gun store shelves. And honestly I'd argue that modern 1911's with fully ramped and supported barrels are the best option to run a 10mm in. I've got a G20, and its a nice pistol but it doesn't compare to my long slide 10mm 1911. The Sig 10mm ammo is fantastic stuff. Theirs and Underwoods FMJ range ammo are very good options. You should check it out, shoots extrmely consistently in every caliber I've tried it in.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Enjoy some Underwood Ammo

That stuff there will take care of your bear and hog problem and anything else smaller

If you are looking at a group made up of pedophiles, rapists and domestic violence types chasing after you, these do some amazing stuff:

Then if you are a fan of classic blunt force punching through things try these:

Underwood and Sig 10mm ammo is about all I'll buy. Shoots very well on both counts.

I carry a G20SF when tromping around backcountry while fishing and hiking.

Just some Heinie S8 sights, Ghost trigger job and a couple mags stoked with Underwood 200XTP.

Be it 2 legged or 4 legged, let'em come! Gaston is gonna breathe some fire!

Be sure to practice with what you plan to carry ammo wise so there isn't any surprise when the recoil hits.

Glocks are great. Once you get the trigger down it is one of the best tools out there.

I carry a G20SF when tromping around backcountry while fishing and hiking.

Just some Heinie S8 sights, Ghost trigger job and a couple mags stoked with Underwood 200XTP.

Be it 2 legged or 4 legged, let'em come! Gaston is gonna breathe some fire!

Be sure to practice with what you plan to carry ammo wise so there isn't any surprise when the recoil hits.
I'd be concerned about penetration for large hungry 4 legged critters with the XTP. I'd roll some extreme penetrators as well.

Reactions: W54/XM-388