• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Took A Walk Into The Woods And What Did I Find

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    Took the dog for a walk today and just thought we'd take a little hike in the woods behind my property. No other bones around, no ribs, no pelvic bone, just the head. Doesn't look like it's been chewed on too much. I just found it interesting that it was just the head.

deerhead.jpg

This was just a quick picture. I may take a better pictures to post.

The funny thing is I don't have this deer on my trail cam. I found him no more than 200 yards from my backyard and it's used as a deer highway to get from bedding to food. Never seen this rack before.

The funny thing is I don't have this deer on my trail cam. I found him no more than 200 yards from my backyard and it's used as a deer highway to get from bedding to food. Never seen this rack before.
    Deer are like women... you will never figure them out

Very abnormal right side, genetic mutation or traumatic injury as a fawn possibly??

Bittersweet find, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 338dude
    I found a head this past december when I was out rabbit hunting. No antlers though.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
      IMG_0469.jpg
      624.2 KB · Views: 74
    Is there any chance, that it was on/near an anthill? I know of more than one person who's placed/staked a head onto an anthill, so that it can get 'cleaned off'.

There's a name for that 'kind' of mount, onto a plaque for a wall, but I can't for-the-life-of-me remember what it's called right now.

Reactions: 338dude
    Around here yotes will drag/scatter a carcass.
    Same here. Between the coy dogs, and fisher cats, shit gets all fucked up. I hear em all screaming sometimes. Call me what you will: but I'd chase 5 grown men, with their own coyote each, into the dark woods; LONG before I'd tangle with 1 or 2 of those fisher. Nasty little MF'rs

Took the dog for a walk today and just thought we'd take a little hike in the woods behind my property. No other bones around, no ribs, no pelvic bone, just the head. Doesn't look like it's been chewed on too much. I just found it interesting that it was just the head.

View attachment 7533766

If it was cold, rainy, or overcast than it is definitely X-File.

The wife said she saw bones laying around that general area. So I'm guessing the Coyotes got this one.
    This time of yr my best guess would be hunter and then the yotes found the carcass.

Yotes love a rotten carcass and a bone or piece of hide will always get their attn. Thsts their weakness.

This time of yr my best guess would be hunter and then the yotes found the carcass.

Yotes love a rotten carcass and a bone or piece of hide will always get their attn. Thsts their weakness.

The last picture I got of them there was a band of them. Here's the one that got the closest to the house. This was taken by my phone through the window.

coyote3.jpg

That picture makes my trapping nerves get all excited and twitchy. One can be bad juju, a pack is always a problem. They aren't passing through, you are in their home territory and on the "might possibly find a meal here" list.

That picture makes my trapping nerves get all excited and twitchy. One can be bad juju, a pack is always a problem. They aren't passing through, you are in their home territory and on the "might possibly find a meal here" list.
    We've got about 400 acres of woods behind my house. Can't be built on, some kind of government thing. We''ve been here 8 years and only saw them for about 2 months last year. We've got so many deer and fox and rabbits running around the house, it's not even funny. I don't know why they came around last year, but none of my trail cameras have shown them to be in the area since then.

I don't know what killed the deer, but I'm almost sure the yotes got to him after he died.

We have a fox "highway" through our property.
    They follow the same track at a fast pace, dawn and night time.
    Guaranteed, if I walked across that track anytime, they would be gone.

View attachment 7533766

That’s cool as shit. I was walking around Rocky Mountain National Park years about and found the spine of a mule deer(pretty sure) on the side of a trail. I’m pretty sure it was put there on purpose by rangers because there wasn’t anything else, other bones or fur, around

We have a fox "highway" through our property.
    They follow the same track at a fast pace, dawn and night time.
    Guaranteed, if I walked across that track anytime, they would be gone.
    We had a momma fox have babies under our shed. They stayed there all summer long. The momma actually dug out the stone so that they could fit under the shed. We let them have the area. We stayed away as much as we could.

View attachment 7533766

That's alright, a few weeks ago I stumbled across a deer skull complete with fur wrapped around an anchor line while diving 40' under a pier..

...don't want to even speculate how it ended up there

• Wow
    Reactions: lash
    So I just had my first run in with a fox on my property. 8 years and have only dealt with raccoons, opossums, and coyotes trying to get my chickens. 2 nights ago I pull into the detached garage and my headlights catch movement. About 30’ away there’s a fox staring at me. My barn door is open and I’m already dreading that he killed them all. I only had my 380 and my cellphone. I yell at it to runaway with my flashlight on but the damn thing runs at me. Not scared at all.
    He was right next to my propane tank so I favored the other side and fired. Don’t think I hit but figured I did enough to scare it off. I ran over to check on the chickens and not one was touched.
    I went back out with my thermal rig and this fucker was back in the same spot within 30mins. Well this time the 22 Creed destroyed him.
    I checked all my security cameras and I saw 2 of these bastards screwing in my driveway. My motion light came on and they just kept going at it. I’ve never had a desire to hunt foxes and they’re beautiful but I can’t have them eating my chickens.

Reactions: 308pirate
    better than thought , I was thinking you were going to post a pic of a bear crapping in the woods funny as that might have been still not something I wanna see .. or worse one of your friends doing the deed .

So I just had my first run in with a fox on my property. 8 years and have only dealt with raccoons, opossums, and coyotes trying to get my chickens. 2 nights ago I pull into the detached garage and my headlights catch movement. About 30’ away there’s a fox staring at me. My barn door is open and I’m already dreading that he killed them all. I only had my 380 and my cellphone. I yell at it to runaway with my flashlight on but the damn thing runs at me. Not scared at all.
    He was right next to my propane tank so I favored the other side and fired. Don’t think I hit but figured I did enough to scare it off. I ran over to check on the chickens and not one was touched.
    I went back out with my thermal rig and this fucker was back in the same spot within 30mins. Well this time the 22 Creed destroyed him.
    I checked all my security cameras and I saw 2 of these bastards screwing in my driveway. My motion light came on and they just kept going at it. I’ve never had a desire to hunt foxes and they’re beautiful but I can’t have them eating my chickens.
    Good luck bro. Been down this road and managed to be successful but it took extreme patience.

One live trap. Put a chicken in it. Surround the trap with leg hold traps. Wait. It may take a week or two but you’ll get them. Switch the chicken out every day.

If you don’t know the particulars of a leg hold trap you can YouTube it then ask questions.

That's what I would have expected to find. But mine only had the head, no other bones within 50 ft that I could tell.

Maybe someone wanted the deer only for meat, chopped the head off, tossed it, and dragged the rest of the animal out.

Reactions: AMGtuned
    Same here. Between the coy dogs, and fisher cats, shit gets all fucked up. I hear em all screaming sometimes. Call me what you will: but I'd chase 5 grown men, with their own coyote each, into the dark woods; LONG before I'd tangle with 1 or 2 of those fisher. Nasty little MF'rs

Yup Fischer cats can rip through a chicken coop just for fun..... My dad thinks he has lost pets to them, but no way to know for sure.

Reactions: AMGtuned
    They love cats. They're hunters, but also like a coyote, scavengers. Looking for the easy kill.

Have always heard the above described as a deadhead.
    Heard first out west.
    Was killed/died while late velvet or just getting hard horned.
    Have seen many around my locale, white tails.
    Seen more than a few Mulies and elk out west.

R

Have always heard the above described as a deadhead.
    Heard first out west.
    Was killed/died while late velvet or just getting hard horned.
    Have seen many around my locale, white tails.
    Seen more than a few Mulies and elk out west.

R
    "Deadheads", around here, drive VW bus', and still see Jerry Garcia daily. Ill bet @sirhrmechanic has seen a fair share as well 🤣🤣

I lived in a one room cabin built on stilts overlooking the Kobuk River. The day I moved in, I saw a huge male red fox. As time went on, I'd see that fox from time to time and started throwing chicken bones or steak bones out for it. Eventually, he got to where he'd come out from under my cabin every morning and sit about 5 feet away from me while I drank coffee and smoked a cigarette. I named him Ol' Roy.
    Late one night, no idea what time, I heard some real squalling and even some thumps on my floor. I figured Ol' Roy had found him a girlfriend. The next morning I went out for a smoke and coffee and Ol' Roy showed up. He had lots of blood on his face and I could see that he was FAT!! I knew then that he had killed something under the cabin so I went and took a look. I could see orange hair everywhere and really thought he had killed and eaten another fox. That was on a Saturday morning.
    Monday at work, my neighbor who lived only about 30 yards up hill asked if I had seen her cat that didn't come home Friday night. I told her that I had not seen her cat.

When I was a young teen (13?) I found a buck skull (clean and old like this) mounted on a totem out in the woods behind my house. Up on a stake, beads and feathers and shit around it, occult shit in a circle in the vicinity.

Freaked me the fuck out.

Until I went back for the skull

When I was a young teen (13?) I found a buck skull (clean and old like this) mounted on a totem out in the woods behind my house. Up on a stake, beads and feathers and shit around it, occult shit in a circle in the vicinity.

Freaked me the fuck out.

Until I went back for the skull
    Then you turned into an occultist? Or a deer?