• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Took the plunge!

MrDrift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
SE Michigan
I just ordered my reloading set-up. The Lee Classic Loader set-up I have now sucks and I'm going to have to send it back again. I'm now tired of waiting, so I jumped head first into a press set-up. I couldn't afford much right now. Bought a Lee classic cast press because as I've read online if I'm going to buy a Lee press, that's the one to get. Also got a Redding FL sizer and seating die. For a neck sizer I ordered a Lee collet die. Heard good things about that as well. Hopefully it all works good. I figured the few extra bucks the Redding die set is over the Lee's set it was a good idea, especially for the full length die. Now to find a good quality scale that I don't have to remortgage the house for.

Re: Took the plunge!

Get a manual balance and don't ever sell it. Digitals are nice and a Chargemaster is nice but without a manual balance you have no idea if the digital is actually accurate.

A good manual balance will run 55-100 bucks.

Which one do you recommend? I hear very good and very bad things about the lee and Lyman ones. The RCBS apparently used to be build better a few years back but according to reviews on line got a cheaper base just recently and doesn't hold zero well. Even the Redding got mixed reviews.

I have a dipper set for now, but kinda stuck to only a few loads till I get a scale.

I just picked up a RCBS 502. It works well and is leaps and bounds better then the Lee. When you look at reviews you have to remember a couple of things. First off you can't make everybody happy. Thus all products will eventually get some bad press. Also the measure of a company is what they do about a problem when one arises.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also the measure of a company is what they do about a problem when one arises. </div></div>

That's why I bought Lee products after the last debacle I had with them because they have good customer service. Learned if I'm going to buy LEE stick with the higher end stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a manual balance and don't ever sell it. Digitals are nice and a Chargemaster is nice but without a manual balance you have no idea if the digital is actually accurate.

A good manual balance will run 55-100 bucks. </div></div>

Lyman 210.5 grain check weights are $35 at Midway. That said, you don't need electricity to use a beam scale. Back up is always good.

I have an RCBS 5-0-5 from the 70's. It was a freebie from my HS chem teacher who knew I was into reloading and he had a second one.

I have no experience with the Lyman, my dad uses a Hornady. I keep a balance that has a 500gr capacity so that I can put a bullet on there if I'm weighing to see consistency. I shoot 460gr cast lead from a 44 caliber wildcat and the 500gr capacity comes in handy there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a manual balance and don't ever sell it. Digitals are nice and a Chargemaster is nice but without a manual balance you have no idea if the digital is actually accurate.

A good manual balance will run 55-100 bucks.</div></div>

They make these things called check weights for checking/calibrating digital scales. Less than $50. Without them, you have no idea if your beam balance is accurate either.

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a manual balance and don't ever sell it. Digitals are nice and a Chargemaster is nice but without a manual balance you have no idea if the digital is actually accurate.

A good manual balance will run 55-100 bucks.</div></div>

They make these things called check weights for checking/calibrating digital scales. Less than $50. Without them, you have no idea if your beam balance is accurate either.

Andy </div></div>

Quite correct, I neglected the check weights, my mistake.

4853964687_e7289240d4.jpg

First round hot off the press!

69gr SMK
21.9gr Varget
Federal 1x Brass
CCI 400

Can't wait to get a scale to start load development. All I can load right now is 21.9 or 26gr with my dippers. Figured 21.9 was a safe bet.

The feeling of accomplishment is awesome!

I'm going to pick up the Hornady LNL conversion for my press. Setting the dies up is a pain, better to have to do it only once in a while. Would have got it already had I knew about it when I did my order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrDrift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

69gr SMK
21.9gr Varget
Federal 1x Brass
CCI 400

Can't wait to get a scale to start load development. All I can load right now is 21.9 or 26gr with my dippers. Figured 21.9 was a safe bet.
</div></div>

21.9 is very light, but it should do the trick. You want about 25 or so for the 69ers.

MrDrift-

The LnL conversion only gives you quick change ability on the dies, if you setup dies properly with a lock collar you have no reason to constantly set them up.

I have my commonly used dies kept in their own set of bushings for the LnL conversion but it's not the same setup to drop them in my RCBS as it is for the LnL AP, and with 223's I switch back and forth.

I ended up just making a spacer to stick between the die and the bushing if I need to use the progressive instead.

I'm new, so bear with me. It isn't a big deal for my Lee collet neck sizer die. That can be a little either way and I don't think it matters, if at all. But as far as my Redding seating die, the way it's set is bottom to the shell holder minus a turn. I would imagine it's not that repeatable with any accuracy, or do you mark them or something. Anything that can make that easier for me is a big help, as I have been setting it shallow each time and pushing the bullet back till I get my numbers, then locking it down and doing it all over again next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrDrift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

69gr SMK
21.9gr Varget
Federal 1x Brass
CCI 400

<span style="font-weight: bold">Can't wait to get a scale to start load development. All I can load right now is 21.9 or 26gr with my dippers.</span> Figured 21.9 was a safe bet.
</div></div>

If you don't have a scale, how do you KNOW you're getting 21.9 or 26grs?

Those dipper charges are approximations based on averaged volume density of the powders.

The sizing die does and that's repeatable. It's my seating die that isn't since it makes no contact with the shell holder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have a scale, how do you KNOW you're getting 21.9 or 26grs?

Those dipper charges are approximations based on averaged volume density of the powders. </div></div>

It probably isn't exact, and that's why I started low, not high. But from what I understand, it's quite repeatable if done the same way every time. Once I get a scale, I'll know the exact value. Right now I'm relying on the data from the manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrDrift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sizing die does and that's repeatable. It's my seating die that isn't since it makes no contact with the shell holder. </div></div>

I use the Hornady Die Lock Ring.Get die set up and tighten down the lock ring. Very simple.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5891

I thought you used the lock ring to lock the die in place, not as a reference to screw the die back in. Is that why it has flats on it, so you can loosen the assembly with out moving the lock ring and then put it back in and just snug it and not set it back up again? I guess I could do that with the redding lock ring, I'd have to use pliers though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrDrift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sizing die does and that's repeatable. It's my seating die that isn't since it makes no contact with the shell holder. </div></div>

I gotcha now. Like the previous person said, if you use the lock ring and get thing setup it should hold +/- ~0.003" on the seating depth.

The only way that I've found to hold tighter is to get the micrometer seating dies that can be spun in far enough to bottom out on the shell holder and use the ogive seating stem on it. I do this for my 30-06 based cases (6.5, 7, 30 cal) and I get +/- 0.001" when I measure from the base to ogive.

"that why it has flats on it, so you can loosen the assembly with out moving the lock ring and then put it back in and just snug it and not set it back up again?"

Exactly...... These work great. I replaced all the Redding lock rings on my dies with these.Just make sure the lock ring is tight with an allen key, and check them every once in a while to make sure it is still tight. The flats on side are for use with a crescent wrench, I just give them a c*** hair of pressure with the wrench just to make sure the die wont move.

Ahh it is all making more sense now. It's about the same price for three of those lock rings as the LNL conversion. I only have 3 dies as of right now, which set-up would I be better off with? Both sound about the same effort.

Sorry, cant help you out with that one. I have a RCBS press and I have no experience with the LNL conversion. As i said though, I put these on all my dies and never had a problem, the little set screw that comes on the redding dies would always loosen up on me.
I also have the redding competition seater die and it was well worth the price.

You can buy the Hornady lock rings in packs of 6. Only thing I have on all my dies. I always snug them in place and check what they are doing on the first case. Have never had to reset a die unless for another rifle than the one I set it up for and don't worry about them working loose. When you set up for a .001 bump you don't want it to move period.

Bye the way the Forster seater is every bit as good as the Redding seater and cheaper you just can't read the numbers as well. We have also been able to buy the sleeves from Forster and just change them out on the seaters and use one seater for different cases in the same caliber.

4858632758_9db37b2d6d.jpg

19 rounds of 50gr Varmint Grenade, would have been 20 but one got jammed on accident. Oops, still learning.

Thanks to all that helped!