• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Tool box help

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
Looking to get a bigger box for work. Have a master force 56x25 now . Looking at a master force 72x25 or a tool vault 72x 30 .
I’m not paying 14k from snap on or Mac.
do any of you guys have a tool vault?? I’d like to know what you think of it?
Thank you.

Some of the craftsman boxes at Loews look pretty solid for the price.

Head over to garagejournal.com

I THINK there are reviews of both of those boxes over there.

I almost want to say the guy that owns that "strictly tool boxes" website that has the tool vaults is a member over at Garage Journal.

Start with what do you do for work? I only have experience with Craftsman, Mac, and SnapOn.

I’ve looked at most of the box store boxes before I bought the master force. It’s a good box for the money. I need a 72 in box for all my stuff. I would like a better quality box without spending 14k on Mac and snap on. The tool vault looks like a good box but I have never seen one in person.
I’m hoping someone here has and can compare it to a box store box and a Mac or snap on.

@jbell I’m a John Deere mechanic. I work on Honda, stihl, mowers, gators and tractors up to 5 series.

I'm fond of MATCO. If I wanted something for non-professional, limited use, I would look at Craftsman or Kobalt (I wonder if they're the same manufacturer?).

might not go hardly as far as to say nice as snap-on... but i have a couple of their roll carts.. really nice especially for the money

The U.S General boxes are pretty nice. My old one was built out of heavier metal than my dads Snap On. It has roller bearing drawers. I used it working as a diesel tech for about 10 years, in school for 2 years. Now it sits in my garage and doest get used as much, it been about another 10 years of that. No problems with it to report, besides the embarrassing fact that it is dirtier now, than it ever was when I worked out of it every day.

I own a company and supply all the tools for my guys onsite around the country. I own about every brand of box there is. I have snap on in the shop and at home. I can say the harbor freight are the best for the money. I even have cages we built for the ones that get loaded and unloaded on trucks alot.i have 2 of the 6' ones. Good luck trying to beat the price andcfunction of that one. If your not moving them alot also consider just another chest. You don't always need 1chuge 1. Sometimes seperare is better.

I bet i pulled open 100 drawers before I bought mine....harbor freight General is what I landed on. Ive had it 10 years now and not a single issue. I would have spent whatever it cost for a good box too.

KTL1023APWZ.jpg

I paid $6k for this box (72" Master Series with deep drawers) brand new with no trade in off the Snap On truck. I also don't buy Chinese whenever possible.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Don't overlook more industrial options. I picked up 4 of these Lista cabinets last year for $400ea and probably could have gotten for less in a more industrialized part of the country. Check ebay and other auction sites like GovPlanet and GovDeals.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 76
Bought my Snap-on box in 1987, when I started to out grow it I hung a side box on it. When I out grew that I hung another side box.
Then I changed careers. I dont work out of it for a living but it still works as well as new 34 years later.
Buy once, cry once.

Gonna be hard to believe but US General at Harbor Freight tool boxes are every bit as nice as Snapon
This. I have several of the US General boxes. They are of far higher quality than Craftsman and you don't pay the premium. Do take a look at teh Icon line but as far as bang-for-the-buck I think the US General boxes are the way to go

Attachments

• 20200105_142702.jpg
    20200105_142702.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Bullfrog08
Theres a reason why the snap on and mac boxes come with a hefty price tag.
Just compare the weight ratings and internal storage capacity.
Just a quick comparison.
Snapon krl1023 72" boxes usually have a load rating of 6800lbs
Masterforce 72" x 24 is only 3000lbs.
So really depends on how much storage you need and how many tools you have.
Try searching for a used KRL. you wont regret the quality. If you can find a good deal.

Waterloo makes about 90% of the toolboxes in the USA.
I have bought parts from them for Craftsman toolboxes from the 60's.

I can't believe with all the shit China has put us through that you guys are willing to spend your money at HF.

I'd rather carry my shit in 5 gallon buckets with pride than hand over another US dollar to the communists.

Last edited:
This. I have several of the US General boxes. They are of far higher quality than Craftsman and you don't pay the premium. Do take a look at teh Icon line but as far as bang-for-the-buck I think the US General boxes are the way to go
Dude the only person that you have to convince is you.

Also something to think about when purchasing used boxes.
For instance Those new snapon boxes on the truck now retail for 14k. But they always give you a deal in rebates when you buy them.
So you end up getting them new for 8 or 9k.
Guys will still sell them at 8 or 9k cause that's what they paid, but always tell you its 14k new.
So dont be hesitant to jew a guy down cause hes most likely selling it for what he paid for it.

Check out the Husky tool boxes at Home Depot. I bought a 62" for my reloading room, and its quality is noticeably better than the US Generals in my garage.
The newer ICON line at HF is pretty nice too.

Look on CL and marketplace for the nicer ones at a deal. I started off with Craftsman, went to a Mac and now a Snap On KRL triple bay. Paid $3500 for it used, prolly a $10k+ box if on the truck. Don't forget about Cornwell also.

The drawer slides are where the money is at. Be careful if the box was in a body shop, slides may be shot due to dust/grit blowing around.

OP asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but fuck off.
Fuck off, really ?
I bet your chest swells with pride showing off you tools and your dick shrivels hoping no one notices your shit boxes.

Love this,what a great statement

"They are of far higher quality than Craftsman and you don't pay the premium"

Do a little research and you might find out that you can make your above statement true.

Seems China even killed off Waterloo manufacturing.
Don't mix up manufacturing with the Chinese Waterloo boxes

Last edited:
Many of my years were spent doing Field Service work on CAT equipment... Kind of a different element. Many of the guys built the entire bed with heavy duty slides, places to hang heavy rigging, etc. I have been in shops where the guys built a heavy frame with heavy duty casters and simply loaded it with roller cabinets... Regardless of the route you go... Make it your's. Having to stand on tip toes or a bucket to get stuff out the top tray is a pain in the ass...

Fuck off, really ?
I bet your chest swells with pride showing off you tools and your dick shrivels hoping no one notices your shit boxes.

Love this,what a great statement

"They are of far higher quality than Craftsman and you don't pay the premium"

Do a little research and you might find out that you can make your above statement true.

Yes, really. Not everyone is as stupid or narcissistic as you, so kindly don't assume we are.
OP can take my recommendation and do with it as he pleases, I gave him one more avenue to look at rather than thinking a high price tag = superior quality, especially when Snap-On is getting highly selective about whether or not they will honor their warranty.

Don't like it? Too bad, you are about as insignificant as they come.

At that point the dealer is the problem, not the warranty. One phone call to corporate with the dealer name usually clears that up.

If I can't use the warranty because of the dealer, and this was a constant rub for me, that is a warranty problem. I don't want to have to call mommy every time I want to use my warranty. Very few Snap On tools ever made it into my box after seeing how the Snap On truck guy was. Pretty much only if they were the only ones that made a specialty tool.

Reactions: Bradu and Yasherka
I have quite a bit of snap on. The dealer issue still pisses me off. Great tools but most of the tools I used now are proto, knipex and Klein. In my current job it’s all industrial/mining. Tool box of choice is either Knack Or Jobox.

I have been a diesel mechanic for 20 years now (over 15at a Caterpillar dealer and the last at a high end Yacht boat yard). I have never regretted making the investment in a quality tool or tool box. However on the tool box thing I will say of you shop around you will find a Snap-On, Matco, or Mac that is either a trade in, repo, or one that was ordered but never delivered at a very good discount. Buy larger then you currently need so it is a one time purchase, one of these brands top end boxes will last you a lifetime and be trouble free with a good warranty and parts system to support your investment. I do not see a Craftsman or lesser brand lasting anywhere near as long (if they are properly loaded with tools and used on a daily basis). Yes they will continue to hold tools but they will develop issues over time, I have seen it time and time again…

Explain. In all the years (20+) of buying Snap On, and several different dealers I have never once found your statement even remotely true.
Here's one of many I found with a quick search . Personally I have not experienced it either, but I don't have that many Snap-On tools

I'm glad you have not had any issues (not being snide). When I was an Aviation production control officer our contractors used exclusively Snap-On due to the warranty, but it sounds like they are starting to give people grief if they were not the original purchasers of the tool (such as if it were given as a gift).

Last edited:
My Snap-On box was purchased new (as in still packed in the factory shipping materials) from a recent vocational school grad who was given it as a gift but decided to go in a different direction with her career. No way in hell I would have paid retail for it, but at less than half that it felt like a decent enough deal.

At a previous employer, the machine shop and tool trailer were filled with Harbor Freight boxes and they are holding up well to the usual use and abuse. The last time I checked prices, they didn't seem as attractive as five years prior.

The Craftsman box I got from my dad as a graduation present 25 years ago continues to hold up well. No idea if the current stuff is any good, but it looks nice enough in the store.

Reactions: Yasherka
Ive seen many snap on dealers that are major dicks about warranty if you aren’t a frequent flyer on their truck.

Snap on and their warranty is only as good as your current dealer. I quit buying snap on for a long time because of shitty dealers and not having a dealer at all. Now I have an awesome dealer and buy quite a bit a from him.

I have quite a bit of snap on. The dealer issue still pisses me off. Great tools but most of the tools I used now are proto, knipex and Klein. In my current job it’s all industrial/mining. Tool box of choice is either Knack Or Jobox.
My tool box is pretty much full of proto. For wrenches and non-impact sockets, I think Mac, Proto, and Snap on, are all pretty great. IMO Proto, and SK make the best ratchets.

I bought my U.S general tool box 20 years ago. I have a hard time not trying to avoid anything made in China today.

Snap on and their warranty is only as good as your current dealer. I quit buying snap on for a long time because of shitty dealers and not having a dealer at all. Now I have an awesome dealer and buy quite a bit a from him.
This is the same reason I quite buying from them. I have a shit ton of snap on tools and one of there triple bay master series boxes. My last job I had an excellent dealer so I bought from him. Never had warranty issues. Switch to my current job and we can’t keep a dealer around. I have switch to Matco on a lot of stuff including tool box.

Reactions: Bradu
So wouldn’t that be a probability for any threaded barrel?
The last thing I want to do is spend money on a rifle, pay to thread it, mess it up and buy a new barrel

This is the same reason I quite buying from them. I have a shit ton of snap on tools and one of there triple bay master series boxes. My last job I had an excellent dealer so I bought from him. Never had warranty issues. Switch to my current job and we can’t keep a dealer around. I have switch to Matco on a lot of stuff including tool box.
Yep, same here. Shitty dealers

I bought a fair amount of matco tools and a box then the dealer went bankrupt. Still have broken shit in my box after 10 years, haven't seen one since. It's the reason I won't buy much from Mac. 2 years ago was the first mac dealer I've had stop by the shop and he shows up once or twice a month on average.

I bought a fair amount of matco tools and a box then the dealer went bankrupt. Still have broken shit in my box after 10 years, haven't seen one since. It's the reason I won't buy much from Mac. 2 years ago was the first mac dealer I've had stop by the shop and he shows up once or twice a month on average.
Everyone’s has a different experience. My Matco guy has shown up every Wednesday for the last 10 years. He has treated me very well. The Mac guy we have is a great guy, I just don’t care for there tools. There wrenches are junk compared to there older stuff.
I had snap on stuff sitting in my box broken and lucky had someone I knew warranty it for me.

I just bought a Craftsman setup fro Lowe’s. I’m not a commercial user and felt they would last longer than I do. Check out Lowe’s online price/sale. The store had to match their own prices. Plus, got a Lowe’s card (not that I wanted or needed it) but they gave me 20% off. Upper and lower chest for $605. Decent quality Especially for the price.