• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tooley Custom Rifle w/ AICS AX chassis

Re: Tooley Custom Rifle w/ AICS AX chassis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, went out to a long distance range today called Gun Site Hills.
</div></div>

What did Chief think of your rig? Not his beloved A-3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HighRez</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, went out to a long distance range today called Gun Site Hills.
</div></div>

What did Chief think of your rig? Not his beloved A-3. </div></div>

Chief was busy teaching a class. Had the range to myself. I don't think he even saw the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon
Any one you know coming to the Gastonia Sniper comp this week? </div></div>

Dave,

I wish I could, but my broken wrist is still getting the better of me. That and UGA's first home football game is Sept 10, so everyone must work. Nothing like an influx of 100k drunk folks to make for a fun Saturday afternoon.

I'm not aware of anyone locally that is going. Budget cuts are killing training hours. We were very lucky to even be able to go to SESWAT this year.

Jon,

Do you know if there was a revised version of the AX chassis after you got yours? When I look at yours, I see that the "shroud" is one piece that touches against your receiver, and there is a "notch" cut into it where the scope rail is. After looking at these pictures (http://72.17.147.19/accintlsrt/ACCAICSAXPHOTOS.htm) it appears there are (2) pieces for the "shroud", with (1) of them being about 1" long, and no "notch".. Just curious to know because I just ordered an AX stock, and after reading more on the Hide I may have to cut my scope rail back to make it flush with the receiver. It currently goes past the receiver about 1 1/2"..

Thanks man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, I have the following to add. The premiere heritage with Badger M40A3 34mm rings will not fit on the AICS AX Chassis with a badger 20moa rail. The front lip of the bell housing of the objective lens that allows for those cool flip out scope caps touches the fore end of the chassis as seen in the below photos

SAM_0302.jpg

This caused the rings themselves from seating all the way on the base as seen here

SAM_0296.jpg

That said, I have to either find someone to trade with so I can get higher rings, or fork out the cash to replace these badger rings.

I won’t be able to give a range report until I get the scope ring issue fixed.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

Do you know if there was a revised version of the AX chassis after you got yours? When I look at yours, I see that the "shroud" is one piece that touches against your receiver, and there is a "notch" cut into it where the scope rail is. After looking at these pictures (http://72.17.147.19/accintlsrt/ACCAICSAXPHOTOS.htm) it appears there are (2) pieces for the "shroud", with (1) of them being about 1" long, and no "notch".. Just curious to know because I just ordered an AX stock, and after reading more on the Hide I may have to cut my scope rail back to make it flush with the receiver. It currently goes past the receiver about 1 1/2"..

Thanks man!

</div></div>

To my knowledge, AI scrapped that two piece concept because it was giving them problems. They changed it to the 1 piece shroud like you see in my chassis. I believe that picture in the link you provided is an old one and no longer up to date. You'll also notice in that picture link that the cut for the magazine well is on the right side, it's now on the left side for production models.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

-Jon

Awesome. I guess I will not have to cut my scope rail after all.. ill let you know in a few days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

Thanks man!

</div></div>

To my knowledge, AI scrapped that two piece concept because it was giving them problems. They changed it to the 1 piece shroud like you see in my chassis. I believe that picture in the link you provided is an old one and no longer up to date. You'll also notice in that picture link that the cut for the magazine well is on the right side, it's now on the left side for production models.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

-Jon </div></div>

Have you shot in any of the Tactical matches at Gun Site Hills ?
I shot all of the 2011 matches there
I would like to see your rifle sometime
I've only handled one of the AX stocks, I really like threat it feels
It's a good group of shooters there, and a fun match to. Shoot

Dang looks killer! I'm not a huge fan of the idea of moving the scope up in order to have a full length top rail, but I have never played with one to know for sure.

Everything's a compromise and nothing's free. just to get the forend tube the scope has to go higher or use a smaller objective. But we all know nobody wants small equipment so I guess bigger is better, sometimes.

Just got my AX chassis. With a 56mm scope, I THINK I need to get higher rings. The scope needs another 1/4" to sit in the rings with out the objective end hitting the AX Shroud. I started a thread asking if I shall use a Scope Riser that is 1/2" tall or get higher rings. With the riser I will be about 1/4" over the Shroud with the Objective end... Not sure what to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything's a compromise and nothing's free. just to get the forend tube the scope has to go higher or use a smaller objective. But we all know nobody wants small equipment so I guess bigger is better, sometimes. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gizzmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you shot in any of the Tactical matches at Gun Site Hills ?
I shot all of the 2011 matches there
I would like to see your rifle sometime
I've only handled one of the AX stocks, I really like threat it feels
It's a good group of shooters there, and a fun match to. Shoot</div></div>

He is scared
laugh.gif

I'll try to drag him out there a time or two...

Is anyone using NF rings on a 56mm objective scope while attached to the AX chassis? If so, what height rings are you using?

1.265's clear the 50mm and 1.375 clear the 56mm

I run an F1(50mm) with 1.265's and have to cut the scope covers to clear the front rail.

I've have really been looking at a McMillan A5 but by the time you add all the bottom metal, fitting, accessories, wait time ect, you are basically at an AX chassis which includes bottom metal and can be installed by myself. My only concern is this, does the folding stock have any wiggle to it or does it lock up like a vault? Also are there recoil pads available for this chassis? But by god you have a great looking stick.

I've had two AX chassis. I can tell you, there is absolutely zero wiggle, locked or unlocked.

It's rock solid stable.

Wiggly Stock? Not on the AX! It locks up like a hard on, you can beat it to death, and it doesnt move!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXinfidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've have really been looking at a McMillan A5 but by the time you add all the bottom metal, fitting, accessories, wait time ect, you are basically at an AX chassis which includes bottom metal and can be installed by myself. My only concern is this, does the folding stock have any wiggle to it or does it lock up like a vault? Also are there recoil pads available for this chassis? But by god you have a great looking stick. </div></div>

My AX chassis is very stiff, no wiggle at all. In fact, if you didn't know it folded, you would think it's a fixed stock. It's that strong.

I have a 56mm objective and i'm using the IOR medium height rings and it seem to fit .250 above the tube just about right.

Good deal! Each ring manufacturer has different sizes. With the Badger M40A3 heavy rings they were too low for my Premier 3-15x50. I had to get taller rings.

Glad yours fit!

-Jon

I heard a rumor that AI was making some changes to new models. Any word on what is getting changed?