• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tools for precision guns for end users

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
I would like to start a discussion on recommended tools for precision rifles that the individual shooter should consider mandatory.

This is what I have so far.
F.A.T. Torque wrench
Torx driver for scope cap screws
1/2" socket for ring nuts
3/16" hex for action screws AICS

Lenspen from camera store for lens care

Any one have any thoughts?

Jack

Re: Tools for precision guns for end users

The thought was actual physical tools to keep the rifle in "spec" SO, it would be tools for the rifle...

well, my opinion(being a mechanic), just go into the tool shop, or online, and look at things. im pretty sure youre gonna buy more guns in the future, and im sure youre not going to have the same equipment on all of them. so just having one allen wrench, on one socket isnt gonna cut it. you need plenty of tools for plenty of guns. but the best things you can buy are torque wrenches, i have an in/lb craftsman from sears, pull weight guages and a good set of hex/torx sockets or bits. dont be afraid to spend $80 for a small set of bits. my torx drivers were over $100 from snapon.

That guy,
Thanks for replying. I am a certified armorer for Colt, HK and Glock. I have a ton of tools for building AR's. It is true that there is the right tool for the job, and that is where I wanted this to go.... What are the right tools for precision rifles?

You are correct different guns will require different tools.

One thing you mentioned that I do not have is a trigger pull guage. Not sure if the Individual end user needs one, but it would be nice to really know rather than guessing.

Thanks,
jack

+1 0n the F.A.T. Torque wrench from Wheeler. This product is IMO worth its wait in gold. I keep records of all my torque settings on my rifle paying particular attention to the action screws. It may be a pshycilogical thing, but it gives me piece of mind in my equipment during a bad range day and make me focus on myself rather than what I think the rifle is doing.

it is very very important to know your trigger pull weight, i check mine before every range session. because i know for a fact that if you get into precision rifles, you will read somewhere, maybe even here, that factory triggers are set too high for accurate shooting. thats true, most triggers that i have tested, both on my rifles, and my buddies, are set anywhere between 5 1/2-7lbs. for a precision rifle to work properly, you need a nice light trigger, not dangerously light, but light enough to be comfortable. mine on my rem700SPS-V .223 is set at 4lbs. its perfect for me,and set by me, you might want a little lighter, or not. find whats right for you.

but after your basic tool kit(as i can assume you being an armorer have a few tools lol) its all about getting good cleaning kits and supplies.

but precision rifles, to me, are very simple. my rem has 2 screws holding the action to the stock, set at 60IN/LBS(rear) and 65IN/lbs(front). and thats about it, unless you get like me and set all the torques on the mount, the rings and bases. all set at 35IN/LBS. i dont know if that really makes a big difference in anything, but im a mechanic for the army and "everything has a torque spec".

i knew there was someone else out there as anal about their rifles as me... and a side note, you probably already know this, but if you have a factory remmy, get rid of the stock and get an HS Precision. the original stock on my SPS-V was trash, looked "cool" but nonetheless, trash. put the new stock on it, and it tightened the groups right up. might have been partially my fault, but im chalking it up to the stock.

right, but thats a PSS, not an SPS. the SPS-V(varmint) comes in an injection molded peice of plastic, better suited for a paper weight. and i also know that the SPS-T(tactical) comes in what i believe is an HS, but thats also a different ballgame.