• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top 10/22 builders

Nemesis Lead

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2014
Alamo, CA
I was thinking of getting a 10/22 built for Steel Challenge (my club has a "carbine" division). Something light, reliable and easy to transition. I also don't mind spending some money to get it right the first time.

Who are the top makers of such rifles? I know of Volquartzen, but who else should I consider?

I am not into souped up 10/22's but do own one though it's acts as a suppressor host plinker. With that said I am always hearing good things about Kidd builds and parts. It's ashame because he's not but a few miles from me.

I have 10/22 I built with parts from Kidd. All day fun and the best 22's I've ever had. <1/2 inch 10 round ragged holes at fifty yards match ammo of course.

Being careful of the rules, I don't know if there is a weight limit for your type of shooting. I have played around with a variety of parts for my 10/22 over the years and it has taken a while. I really like the things Kidd does and I like all the parts I have ever purchased from them.

If you decide to build it yourself, Rimfire Central is the place to look at. You should see what some of those guys build. There is a great tutorial on bedding, which if you are going to do it yourself, DO NOT overlook the benefits of bedding for the final touches. Do it. You will take a variable out of the equation. I went crazy chasing flyers and finally bedded it.

Lastly match ammo. Find several boxes ans shoot for groups - 25, 50 and 100. There can be some ammo do quite well at 25-50 and then open up quite a bit afterwards. Again, I learned the hard way until I was turned on to a couple boxes of match 22. Makes a significant difference.

Kidd or Timney for a drop in trigger. You can do it yourself - but it is really nice to drop one in and not mess with all the little parts. There was only parts and no drop ins years ago.

Volqui is good stuff, Kidd, if you decide to keep your receiver EGW for a rail is good quality for the money. I highly recommend the Kidd buffer, best under $10.00 part you can do. I makes a difference.

And lastly if you are prone and allowed a good rear bag.

Good luck!

Out of my 5 10/22s, my KIDD barreled/KIDD trigger gun is my best shooter. Solidly sub MOA at 50m. Followed closely by my Que barrel/action. (He re-cuts the barrel, chamber, crown and redoes the bolt to match grade. Best bang for the buck, IMO.)

As for scopes, Mueller has a great following on rimfirecentral and it is for a good reason. My 8-32x44 is a great optic for 100y and less. (I've compared it to my Vortex Viper 6-24x50 HS and the Mueller 1/2 the cost and almost there, almost. For the cost, I don't think the Big Mueller can be beat.)

In open sights I have TECH Sites on one and love them. Very close to an M16 peep sight.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Does anyone have or shoot a Kidd Sporter (very lightweight)? Steel Challenge is less about accuracy and more about reliability and speed. You shoot targets while standing from 7 to 35 yards on the clock.

I've had the Kidd lightweight, and the ultralight. The sporter is just another variation on them.

If I was building a Steel Challenge setup I'm not real sure I'd spend the money on a Kidd barrel, to be honest. Most people are used to shortening up the throat to attempt to kiss lead with it in an attempt to eek out smaller aggs. That's about the opposite of what I'd want in my steel gun, being as a FTF or FTE will cost you a stage most likely, and target size is on the 'large' size.

I imagine if you explained what you were looking for Tony would set you up right, but if were my dough I'd be looking for a light weight barrel to punch with a sporter reamer. Spend the rest of your money on a worked over and radiused bolt. I'd think weight/balance and reliability would take you a lot further than group size....

I've had the Kidd lightweight, and the ultralight. The sporter is just another variation on them.

If I was building a Steel Challenge setup I'm not real sure I'd spend the money on a Kidd barrel, to be honest. Most people are used to shortening up the throat to attempt to kiss lead with it in an attempt to eek out smaller aggs. That's about the opposite of what I'd want in my steel gun, being as a FTF or FTE will cost you a stage most likely, and target size is on the 'large' size.

I imagine if you explained what you were looking for Tony would set you up right, but if were my dough I'd be looking for a light weight barrel to punch with a sporter reamer. Spend the rest of your money on a worked over and radiused bolt. I'd think weight/balance and reliability would take you a lot further than group size....

You are exactly right! The rifle does not need to be insanely accurate. It has to go bang every time and point quickly and well.

A lot of rimfire steel challenge matches are lost on malfunctions.....

Since you are looking for a Steel Challenge rifle, I would suggest to least expensive 10/22 rifle you can buy. I shoot Steel Challenge (pistol) with my Ruger 22/45 pistol and a red dot. Stock they are plenty accurate enough to hit those 8" diameter target plates using cheap bulk pack ammo. Get the basic 10/22 and go shoot a match. Change things after you see a need. The Kidd's, Clark's or Vol's accuracy just isn't needed here.

Just my .02 ...... Larry S.

I've owned Clarks Custom Guns and they are great sold it to try a volquartsen

Heard great stuff about KIDD

But I just got my volquartsen superlite in hogue OD Stock carbon fiber sleeve and threaded barrel.... I put weaver grand slam rings and a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44mm optic on it. Sighted in yesterday with eley club ammo @ 25yards. Moved back to 50yards and shoots a rag hole. I'm so impressed I prob will buy another one