• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Top 14.5” 223 Wylde/5.56 Barrels

charlesh777

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Oregon
Looking at Criterion 14.5 Hybrid or Core Series barrels. If I wasn’t going with Criterion, I would prefer to go stainless. Proof is intriguing, but seems overhyped and overpriced. That being said, price isn’t necessarily an issue. Any suggestions from personal experience?

Thanks,
Charles

Check out Craddock Precision’s RTR series. I’ve been emailing them back and fourth regarding some barrel specs and was impressed with their customer service and willingness to answer questions.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Any stainless blank made up by a competent smith tbh. Off the shelf Noveske seems to have a high degree of quality and consistency. White Oak if they do a 14.5 (no idea sorry).

I would get the medium weight chrome lined green mountain over the criterion chrome lined. Similar performance less money.

If you are picking your gas system length intermediate on a 14.5 seems to be the current fad.

Right on. Thank you both for the replies. I have never heard of Craddock Precision, but will definitely give them a look. Noveske is one I have looked into, as I have heard their stainless barrels are top notch. White Oak is great and I will have to check if they do a 14.5. Will check out green mountain as well. Appreciate the barrel info. Gives me some homework.

Regards,
Charles

Colt SOCOM barrel is as accurate as just about any mid weight 14.5” barrel. The Knight’s 14.5” barrel is the most accurate lightweight barrel I’ve had. The Colt ( 1/9 ) 6721 barrel is the most accurate heavy barrel I’ve had.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I’d ask “what is the intended use?” before making a decision.

If you want more precision oriented barrels, you really can’t go wrong with any of the recommendations above, but if you just want a decent general use, 1 MOA(ish) hard duty barrel, I’d point you towards BCM or DD. That’s what I have on most of our ranch rifles…dead nuts reliable, and ‘accurate enough’ for general use.

Or for a few bucks more, get the Noveske mentioned above; best of both worlds for a reasonable(ish) price.

If you want a barrel that needs to be extremely reliable, with no real support like deep country treks or say some scenario where services aren’t available, I’d look at the various offerings from HM Defense with the integral gas blocks…one less thing to break. I have a couple of these on uppers that would go with use if we ever had to grab just one gun and go. Nothing remarkable about them one way or another from a reliability or accuracy perspective; they’re pretty much as accurate as my ranch rifle barrels, and so far zero issues.

I have an 11.5 Proof on one rifle and for being so short it shoots 77gr and 75gr fantastically. I also have a JP 16" that shoots very well. Id do a proof barrel or order a barrel/bolt combo from JP. I have a buddy who has a 10.5 Noveske and it shoots pretty good for its length. If budget isn't a concern Id lean to a JP barrel. But Im a big fan of their products.

The Criterion Core barrel profile is a better choice than the Hybrid, IMO.

This 14.5" Core barrel settled down to 0.80 MOA (using a scope, of course) before one box of Federal GMM 73 Bergers went through it:

IMG_4635.jpeg

Reactions: 91Eunozs and Bakwa
If you dive into a Proof SS barrel with a borescope, you'll understand the hype. But they only offer one fairly heavy profile.

I've never been disappointed in a barrel from Craddock Precision

A barrel maker that seems to be getting overlooked in this thread is V Seven. Their work is impeccable. Multiple profile choices. Their barrel coating is also a step above the rest.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
A barrel maker that seems to be getting overlooked in this thread is V Seven. Their work is impeccable. Multiple profile choices. Their barrel coating is also a step above the rest.

I'm a big V Seven fan. I use their handguards/barrel nuts exclusively on any rifle I've built or replaced handguards on. Haven't used their barrels, but have used several of their other components and would agree that their work is impeccable.

I have a few V7s and second, or third, their quality. I can't tell you how well or often they print tiny groups, but that is more a me thing than a barrel thing.

And they are not inexpensive.

But... I would, and likely will, buy from them again.

The one time I had a QC issue, I spoke with one of the owner/ engineers within short order and felt well taken care of.

My Triarc barreled uppers are also nice. My 12.5 midlength was *very* soft shooting. I have the 14.5 as well

Last edited:
Black Hole Weaponry. Formerly Columbia River Arms.. Well priced and I am happy with it. They had some on sale and I bought one for my .308 AR , was a good deal and very nice barrel.
I have a couple of their barrels… exceptional accuracy; much better than I can shoot.

I have a few V7s and second, or third, their quality. I can't tell you how well or often they print tiny groups, but that is more a me thing than a barrel thing.

And they are not inexpensive.

But... I would, and likely will, buy from them again.

The one time I had a QC issue, I spoke with one of the owner/ engineers within short order and felt well taken care of.

My Triarc barreled uppers are also nice. My 12.5 midlength was *very* soft shooting. I have the 14.5 as well
I love V7 components, but don’t have any of their barrels. Would like to see some comparisons…

I love V7 components, but don’t have any of their barrels. Would like to see some comparisons…
When you say comparisons, in what way do you mean?

I'm happy to provide more information, but I'm not a good enough shooter to, eg, compare my V7 barrels to the other stainless steel barrels I have (Noveske, JP, and Centurion), even accounting for the differences in upper setup.

Oh, has anyone recommended Centurion Arms barrels...?

Reactions: 01911 and 91Eunozs

My early 2010s Mk12 18" was one of my favorite. Monte did a barrel on a Bartlein blank some years ago, it was pretty good but had some minor chamber/lead issues. More recently, I've had a 14.5" mid-weight CHF and 14.5" Mk12 SPR profile...neither was overly exceptional compared to previous barrels and both were somewhat conservatively gassed.

Had a V7 back in the day in a Colt upper, and it was exceptional...I foolishly gave it away to a friend. It was by far the most accurate off-the-shelf stainless barrels I've ever had. Recently got another V7 and have high hopes it's in the ballpark.

Heard nothing but good things about Proof SS...but they should be they are a pretty hefty profile.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
When you say comparisons, in what way do you mean?

I'm happy to provide more information, but I'm not a good enough shooter to, eg, compare my V7 barrels to the other stainless steel barrels I have (Noveske, JP, and Centurion), even accounting for the differences in upper setup.

Just general/relative accuracy from anyone who may have similar builds with one of their barrels vs. something similarly priced like a Noveske, Bartlein, etc. Shoot the same ammo from each under similar conditions/same day, and see how each performs. Assuming similar optics and barrel length, shoot at the same distance with the same ammo, etc.

Not necessarily looking for a scientific comparison, but relative performance under similar conditions would be a useful data point.

I’m very impressed with their other stuff, and have a lot of their components in my lighter weight builds, but somehow never bought one of their barrels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepwoods
I think there are some general categories that have easy answers in my mind, then there are the SS barrels...

Cold hammer forged vs cut
Crome-lined vs. none
heavy vs light profile

CHF and chrome-lined med-to-heavy profile: Geissele, Centurion Arms
CHF and chrome-lined light profile: Daniel Defense, BCM ELW
Cut and chrome-lined med-light profile: Criterion Core
Cut and non-chrome-lined: too many options!