• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top four "switch caliber" precision rifle systems?

AI.

I've shot matches every other weekend, and I swap between my stock 1/12 twist barrel with a muzzle brake (NY complaint) , and 1/10 Bartlein with a suppressor attached for when I shoot in free states.

I don't have much room in my moms basement so I don't have room for a vice...or a girlfriend.

That CSR is exactly where I got my method for doing it on my TL3. But over the last 3 years of running it as a switch barrel I've learned you don't even need a torque wrench to maintain a return to zero and accuracy. 20ftlbs...43ftlbs...51.... It makes no difference.
The benchrest kids have been doing that type of barrel swap for years just going hand tight and producing consistently and competitive groups, the CSR barrels have wrench flats machined just aft of the muzzle threads and other than some insertion methods such as HALO I just don’t see a need for that kind of torque.

That CSR is exactly where I got my method for doing it on my TL3. But over the last 3 years of running it as a switch barrel I've learned you don't even need a torque wrench to maintain a return to zero and accuracy. 20ftlbs...43ftlbs...51.... It makes no difference.
It doesn't make a difference in my experience either though it does change your headspace a little. I never used to torque(just a good whirl and done) until recently and it has changed my headspace a bit. Rounds that would previously chamber easily are a little tight now. I torque at 60ft-lbs now to just keep it consistent.

I'm willing to bet that your headspace numbers change after a relatively low amount of torque and then everything after that you're just stretching threads
Possibly but I'm still way below Zermatt's recommended torque spec. I'd guess I was torquing around 40-50ft-lbs before. The only barrel that's even been put on to the full 75ft-lbs was the first barrel I ever had for my TL3 that was installed by the gunsmith.

Last edited:

Something I saw years ago when visiting a very well known gun shop that anyone here on the Hide would use and very well respected is that they don’t use a torque wrench when putting barrels on. They use a longer T handle action wrench and with barrel in the vise they screw the action on until it touches the barrel shoulder then back off about a quarter turn and then slam it tight. That’s it. And what the smith told me was that once metal hits metal it’s as tight as it will be. It’s true.

Something I saw years ago when visiting a very well known gun shop that anyone here on the Hide would use and very well respected is that they don’t use a torque wrench when putting barrels on. They use a longer T handle action wrench and with barrel in the vise they screw the action on until it touches the barrel shoulder then back off about a quarter turn and then slam it tight. That’s it. And what the smith told me was that once metal hits metal it’s as tight as it will be. It’s true.
Funny you mention that, that's exactly how I was putting on my barrels before. I used a tire iron on the back of my action wrench.

After wanting to justify a switch barrel rig , I came to the logical conclusion , that they are better in theory than reality , if you can you are better having 2 seperate rigs , as they will always be zeroed and able to use instantly .
I looked at AI long action , with all the parts to make it into say both 308 SA & 338LM , long story short , it was only a bit more expensive to buy 1x AT & 1x AXMC ( 2 rifles ) , than one rifle with all the spare bits to reconfigure between 308 & 338LM .
BUT I can see in certain countries that limit the total number of rifles per person , that this is of some use .

The main point I like about quick change barrels , is that when you burn out a barrel , fitting a replacement barrel is very easy for the average shooter to do with either no tools or very few .

Us mere mortals have to get the tools out, clean the threads, disassemble the rifle, put on anti-seize, put the tools away, check headspace, clean up the work space, reassemble the rifle in addition to taking the old one off and putting the new one on. I also tend to clean the new barrel at that point just to get any shipping 'junk' out of the bore.

You know, do the whole job right the first time.

I didn't realize this was a NASCAR pit stop on the clock.
I don’t know how you can make it last more than ten minutes but okay, maybe you have a heap of kids and that is your ‘you’ time 🤠

After wanting to justify a switch barrel rig , I came to the logical conclusion , that they are better in theory than reality , if you can you are better having 2 seperate rigs , as they will always be zeroed and able to use instantly .
I looked at AI long action , with all the parts to make it into say both 308 SA & 338LM , long story short , it was only a bit more expensive to buy 1x AT & 1x AXMC ( 2 rifles ) , than one rifle with all the spare bits to reconfigure between 308 & 338LM .
BUT I can see in certain countries that limit the total number of rifles per person , that this is of some use.
You forgot to add in another scope to your equation.

Reactions: Eostech
The main point I like about quick change barrels , is that when you burn out a barrel , fitting a replacement barrel is very easy for the average shooter to do with either no tools or very few .
Exactly.
I have a 308 and a 260 barrel for my AIAX. Zerod the scope for the 308 but 260 has known and repeatable dope that is <.3mil from the 308 tube.

The 308 barrel will last 7500rds or more but the 260 barrel will probably only see 3000. When I get to 1800, I am getting another barrel and getting a zero on it so it is ready to swap out when barrel 1 starts to shit the bed. Yes, that could even happen "in the field" such as in a match or at another event.

That is all depending on me keeping it. I may just sell it and build a Zeus in 260, 223 and either 6.5 or 7SAUM.

Reactions: huntnh
I shoot a multitude of different calibers so the AI made the most sense. For match use, 6 dasher, two different 25CM barrels depending on what bullet im shooting, two 6CM barrels, a 6.5 CM barrel, and a 20" .308 barrel. I dont switch them in the field or anything like that, i just switch prior to use of the rifle for whatever event im shooting.

I've narrowed it down:

AI AX or AT-X (wait for the LH AT-X)

or

Kelbly Black Bear Tactical build (But I have no idea what kind of action/barrel setup can be done with regard to switch caliber)

I ruled out the Barrett MRAD because they don't offer a true LH option. And as fas as I know the McMillan Tac isn't a switch caliber action. The Sako TRG is nice, but... A few other rifles and actions were mentioned but I want a flat bottom receiver with integral lug and rail and native AI OEM mag support. One rifle brand mentioned isn't in production yet- even RH model. Not interested in bullpup designs. And I'm not keen on any aftermarket gadgets between the barrel and action.

I like the Defiance Deviant, and Impact actions, but no bueno on el flat bottom.

Late to the discussion but I feel one of the best reasons to have a switch barrel is space in the gun safe. Or if you’re a Euro, restrictions on number of guns, which I take it as receiver = rifle, so have more barrels = more calibers per “rifle.”

My safe is full, the hen of the coop hates it, and said hen would be extremely unpleasant to be around for years if I added another.

I don’t have a switch-barrel rig yet for centerfires, but I do have a Kidd with a one-screw switch barrel that is amazing. I have a longer heavy and extremely light short barrel for that.

Also, a switch-barrel wife…now that is an idea I could get behind! Right after that I’ll take a switch-barrel dong. The SB-wife would almost require that with all the barrel wear.

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Milf (boy that is a disturbing phrase when you speak it out loud),

What did you wind up with?

My problem was space in the safe (can’t expand) compounded by a healthy does of GAS. I am trying an AI, an AXSA specifically in 6 BR and I’m on the waiting list for the aftermarket 223 conversion.

For someone like me, at least, an AI is a bit like a higher-end convertible sports car. Mostly made for old dudes without hair to blow in the wind (but who can finally afford nice things). I certainly don’t need it but AI resale is high. Death is always around the corner for all of us, so I say if you’re not doing this on credit, go for it.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Hey Mr. Milf (boy that is a disturbing phrase when you speak it out loud),

What did you wind up with?

My problem was space in the safe (can’t expand) compounded by a healthy does of GAS. I am trying an AI, an AXSA specifically in 6 BR and I’m on the waiting list for the aftermarket 223 conversion.

For someone like me, at least, an AI is a bit like a higher-end convertible sports car. Mostly made for old dudes without hair to blow in the wind (but who can finally afford nice things). I certainly don’t need it but AI resale is high. Death is always around the corner for all of us, so I say if you’re not doing this on credit, go for it.
Waiting on AI to offer their LH version of the new AT-X.

Reactions: carbonbased
I've run a desert tech in 6.5 creed and 338 Lapua for about 5 years. I love the ability to switch calibers fast and if you get lucky the scope will be withing a couple clicks of adjustment on each barrel. My 338 is 4 clicks left and no elevation change to be zeroed with both barrels. Takes 2 minutes max to switch.

Reactions: waveslayer