• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torn between Remington 5R and Remington XCR TLR

elkaholic3428

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Williston, ND
Hey, I am torn between the Remington 5R and the Remington XCR tactical long range. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards at some point, most of my shots while hunting have been under 500 yards to date. It would mainly be a hunting rifle. I have a Tikka T3 SS in 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and 1 in 11" twist but just don't think this gun would be capable of what I want to do. The 5R comes in 24" and 26" barrels, which one would be better? The XCR comes is 26". I always thought the 26" would be better for long range in the 300 win mag. I'm also having troubles locating both of them anywhere, even had a few dealers look for one for me but no luck. I like to shoot 180-185 gr bullet, usually factory loads since I haven't got into loading my own yet. I live at almost 1900 ft and hunt here but also hunt at 6000+ ft if it makes any difference with what rifle works better in this case, that's mainly a bullet/load case correct? Thanks for any advice.

Re: Torn between Remington 5R and Remington XCR TLR

Tough choice, I have had the xcr and found it to be an exceptional rifle. I have a good friend that has the 5r and it is a fantastic gun. Both of us had work done and broke in the barrel correctly and we are getting great accuracy. In 300 win u definatly want 26 inch barrel. You might consider the new 338 lapua in the xcr long rang, Thor is actually jelious of this gun. If you do get one I would have the action glass imbedded and have the bore lapped. Also the greatest investment I ever made on any of my long range guns is a jewel trigger. The xcr will probably be easier to find and I would be surprised if the 5r shoots better, there is a lot of debate on that one. Have fun hope this helps.

I have a 5R in 300 in mag with the 26" barrel. A little bit of insight I can offer:
1. I love that gun. I always heard that the 5R's were shooters, which is why I ordered one. It's a half minute gun.
2. I tried and tried to find a 24" but couldn't. My 26 is just fine, but I still wish it was a 24 or even a 22.

I have a 5R in .308 with a 24" barrel, it'll reach 1000yrds easy. Trust me, if my Rem VTR .308 20" can do it, so will the 5R. You may want to do some research on your Tikka, there is definately more aftermarket stuff coming out for them. There is no reason it wouldn't hit 1000yrds, after a little work. If it were my choice, and its not. I would go with the 5R over the XCR. Why? Because you save some money, not much but some for a gun that is almost the exact same in accuracy and looks better. Look into your current rifle a little more before you give up on a good thing. Save you the cost of a new rifle that you can put into an already well capable one. Just my thought, good luck.

you only live once buy one of each, LOL, I would go for the 5R also but only because there is alot of great feedback on here about them being great out of the box shooters

Thanks for the info! I just haven't heard much on aftermarket for Tikkas. Plus I think, which I'm not a pro at this stuff, the Tikka's 1 in 11" twist is a little slower than I'd like and I'm still leaning towards that 26" barrel over it's 24". But I have 3 Tikkas and they have done what I have asked of them and I like how light they are and the prices are good on them. It's still a toss up between these two Remingtons for me. How well does a Savage stack up against either of these Remington's? Never owned a Savage or even shot one but I read a lot on here that they are as accurate as one can get, even tho I think after reading most posts it's owner blindness because everyone's rifle is the most accurate in their eyes until matched against a rifle that can shoot better.

Yellow Jacket...How did you guys "correctly break in your barrels" on your rifles? I'm just curious the method because I have been told of a few ways that guys say they should be done and I don't know if I have done mine the proper way.

When I first got the rifle and started loading for it, I was still doing all me load development at 100 yards. I'd load up 5 rounds at this charge and five rounds at that charge, this bullet, that bullet, and just try to see what worked.

In the 5R, everything worked. All my groups with all my loads were sub minute, by my definition, those who subract a caliber out of the group measurement would say the groups were .75 and less. This made it tough to decide on a load, because they all shot so well.

Then I came across the procedure for conducting a true ladder test. Since I had just decided to switch to the AMAX bullet, I had to work up a new load anyway.

After finding the node and tuning, I can get sub 2" groups at 500 yards. The weather was nice here on tuesday, and about 30 degrees warmer than when I had conducted the ladder test. I decided to go to 900 yards and the group was less than 5".

Now, lets be clear about something here, the groups at 500 and 900 yards were measured for vertical dispersion only. If I were measuring total group size, vertical and horizontal, the group size would easily double. The wind rarely blows less than 15 mph here, so I measure for vertical spead. I believe the military also does this in their testing.

The other thing I really like about the 5R is that the cold bore shots are right on the money with the rest of the group, even if I do 5 shots in 12-20 seconds at 900.

I cold bore shot a whitetail this last season at 792, while she was quartered to me. No sweat, I knew the rifle could do it's thing, all I had to do was make a good trigger press.

the 5R is all so my choice.either one 308 or 300wm.heck why not add the 223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. I tried and tried to find a 24" but couldn't. My 26 is just fine, but I still wish it was a 24 or even a 22. </div></div>

If you have an extra $50 in your wallet your wish could be granted.

TC

All this talk of the 5r's is making me itch to shoot mine. I just bought one and don't have the glass for it yet. I'm waiting for the upcoming group buy from swfa to see what they offer up. If there is another deal on the 5-20 HD that's what'll go on it.
I just wish there was some place around here where I could stretch it out eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkaholic3428</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards at some point, most of my shots while hunting have been under 500 yards to date. It would mainly be a hunting rifle. I have a Tikka T3 SS in 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and 1 in 11" twist but just don't think this gun would be capable of what I want to do. </div></div>

A heavier barrel rifle is not more accurate just because it is heavier...a good quality light barrel can be just as accurate for the first few rounds.

Tikkas will usually shoot well with the right load, and is a decent choice for a hunting rig. The lighter weight helps much in the field.

Long range success has a lot to do with bullet choice, good ammo, good glass, overall marksmanship skills and experience shooting at the range you want to shoot at.

A range finder might be the most important contribution to long range success beyond 600 yards...if I had a rifle and $1000 in my pocket, that's what I'd buy.

TC

I've thought a lot about shortening it up to 22" and having it threaded. It's not complicated or expensive, but there's no gunsmith within 100 miles of me that can do it.

I'm in the slow process of purchasing a suppressor, setting up an NFA trust, all of that. As I get closer to ownership, threading and shortening that barrel will move higher and higher on the priority list.

Buy them both and sell me whichever one you like the least for cheap.
wink.gif

Think I'm gonna throw a 5r in a AX chassis.Itching to try the chassis.

I have a 5R in a McM and I don't feel I'm giving too much up to the custom guys. The increased twist rate in the 5R was the reason I went this way and glad I did.

I shot a .300 XCR for three years and I was very pleased with it. It shot my handloads extremely well. I've never had the privilege of shooting a 5R but I doubt you will go wrong with either one.

Go 5r. Had issues with a 300WM in XCR. Poor accuracy and finish failed. Remington replaced rifle with no explanation. Have not shot new one yet.

I say 5R if you are confident that you will like the stock and that the marginal trigger will be acceptable, if not look at the stiller group buy, get the trigger/stock you want, the upgraded features of the action vs. the stock rem action and any barrel detail you can think of, for about the price of the 5R + trigger + stock + other possible smithing work

Use the 300WM Tikka for hunting and but a .308 5R for target shooting. Nothing good with come for a 300WM as a target gun. You will be better off shooting more with the .308.