• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torn between scopes

vaughngoalie35

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Hello Everyone!
I am in the process of choosing a scope for my savage mk2 TR in .22lr. I want some zoom, target turrets, somewhat of a good warranty, and of course decent glass. Parallax adjustment is a must, and mil dot would be great, but I can live without. I have a price limit of about $200. I have narrowed it down to two:

Nikon Prostaff EFR:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/275994/...n-reticle-matte

or the Mueller APT:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119010/...t-reticle-matte

Thanks guys!

Re: Torn between scopes

I have the nikon pro staff on my 10/22 it works great no issues. However, after reading about the mueller I like the extra power and that you can adjust 1/4 MOA versus the nikons 1/2 MOA. I would go with the Mueller scope.

I have no experience with either but the guys over on rimfire central swear by the Mueller. you can check out that website for some reviews. that being said I don't think I would ever get a scope with 1/2 moa adjustments.

Actually, for a .22, I don't think 1/2 moa turrets would be so bad, depending on the type of shooting you're gonna do. I shoot a lot at 50 yards with mine and don't really think 1/4" per click would be too much at this distance. Unless of course you're trying to shoot benchrest targets or something similar.

Seems like longer range shooting might be a little easier, IMHO, since you'd only need to turn the turret 1/2 as much.

It depends on what you're going to be doing and how far out you're going to be shooting. If I remember right, the Mueller scopes have a very limited range of internal adjustment. I think it's around 30 minutes of total adjustment. Assuming that you get zeroed near the center of the adjustment range, what you have left will barely get you to 150 yards.

In practice, you'll likely have to dial in some elevation past the center of the adjustment range, if you're going to be shooting sub sonics. I know that with my rifles, I have to dial in 7 minutes just to get from 50 to 100 yards and it's about another 20 minutes to get to 200.

Some guys will rationalize a purchase like this thinking that they can just hold for what they can't dial; but with rimfire, you ALWAYS have to account for the wind and holding for both wind and elevation isn't easy.

I'd go with the Nikon, if for no other reason that the fact that it offers 80 minutes of internal adjustment.

of the two you have listed i also would vote for the mueller.

i am in a similar situation, buying a scope for a savage mkII and after searching around with likely, much, different criteria.
i am favoring the following bsa fixed 8x mill retichle scope; http://www.midwayusa.com/product/981279/...t-reticle-matte

i want it to be light weight and fixed power as i only want to accurately reach out to 50-75 yards and play a little beyond that until i max out elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: logic factory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">of the two you have listed i also would vote for the mueller.

i am in a similar situation, buying a scope for a savage mkII and after searching around with likely, much, different criteria.
i am favoring the following bsa fixed 8x mill retichle scope; http://www.midwayusa.com/product/981279/...t-reticle-matte

i want it to be light weight and fixed power as i only want to accurately reach out to 50-75 yards and play a little beyond that until i max out elevation. </div></div>I don't think I've ever heard anything good about BSA. I hope it meets your expectations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
i just read a couple positive reviews about the scope in question. wish i could have found more reviews in general to help gain more insight. i am far from making my final decision but the scope we are talking about compliments what i am looking for.

I am open to different brands, I guess the main difference is elevation, I am shooting mostly <100 yards, however I have shot 140 on a few occasions. I was also looking at a 20 moa mount, would that solve the internal adjustment issues?

Thanks!

Adding the 20 MOA base could solve long range issues, but may prevent being able to zero in a 50 yards, if you're using a scope with very limited adjustment range.

Before I got my base from Glenn Seekins I talked to him on the phone and he was adamant that their was just no reason not to get the extra elevation on the base. I figured he would definitely know so I got it. It's hard to believe that you would run out of elevation at 140 yards, but since I don't have any real experience with the 22lr at that range I'm not sure what is required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before I got my base from Glenn Seekins I talked to him on the phone and he was adam ant that their was just no reason not to get the extra elevation on the base. I figured he would definitely know so I got it. It's hard to believe that you would run out of elevation at 140 yards, but since I don't have any real experience with the 22lr at that range I'm not sure what is required. </div></div>

There's a very interesting point made here zeroing at close distances and running out of windage adjustments when running a canted base on a scope with minimal adjustment. Scroll down to the last couple posts, there's a diagram that explains it. Not saying you will have this issue, but its good food for thought.

Click here snipers hide

^^^^ here's the link, its on the last page

I changed the setting on the link on my previous post, it should be working now... I just checked it.
If your having problems, custom search "Trijicon accupoint at long range...?" in the google bar. That's the old thread. Again, its discussed on the last section of the last page.

Hope that helps

That's good to know for future reference. I have 100 MOA adjustment on my scope so I don't think it would ever be a problem, but it's still interesting.

They make a good hammer in a pinch. I also wouldn't hesitate
to beat my kids with it if they got too far out of line. Lol
That's about it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: logic factory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">of the two you have listed i also would vote for the mueller.

i want it to be light weight and fixed power as i only want to accurately reach out to 50-75 yards and play a little beyond that until i max out elevation. </div></div>I don't think I've ever heard anything good about BSA. I hope it meets your expectations. </div></div>

The Nikon is a nicer looking scope but both function great.

Chris

I think at this point I will go with the nikon, what do you guys think about their warranty? Anyone that has experience with both scopes are welcome to give imput Thanks!