• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Torque screwdriver best bang

P

Pleistarchus

I am looking to find what you guys are using as a toque screwdriver. Nothing cheap but also don't want to trade my Scope for one either. Please recommend. Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
Wiha works for me

image_zps8631620f.jpg

I just use the one that came with my Weaver scope mounting kit. The kit was something like $65 or $70 off'a Amazon.

Yours,

David

IMG_0828.jpgI would need something that can exceed 65in/lbs. for scope mounting and barrel conversion exchange. Is there anything that can go between 20 in/lbs- 150 in/lbs? Thank you Gentlemen. Appreciate your time, Chris

Last edited:
When I started looking for a Torque driver, the FAT was getting some really crappy review (I believe they have since fixed the design).

I ended up buying a Snap-On, it adjusts from 5in/lb to 40in/lb. It's a well made, accurate tool but it was also $200.00. Do I regret it? No, but had I held out a little longer I coulda saved some $$ on the Borka.

t

View attachment 2722I would need something that can exceed 65in/lbs. for scope mounting and barrel conversion exchange. Is there anything that can go between 20 in/lbs- 150 in/lbs? Thank you Gentlemen. Appreciate your time, Chris

Chris,

Mechanical torque wrench with such relatively large range, 20 to 150 inch-lbs. , will not be accurate and "sensitive" enough to be suitable for scope caps screws, although it should be all right for action and barrel screws in the range from, say, 45 to 145 inch-lbs.

If you do not need more than 72 inch-lbs., then Borka Tools MG torque driver will cover all your needs.

If you're interested, I also recommend you to look at Triad Tactical, as Steve from Triad carries the full line of Borka Tools products, same selection of products as directly from Borka Tools.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Borka-Tools/

There is a list of other dealers on www.borkatools.com, so you can also choose the vendor according to your preferences.

If you prefer adjustable torque screwdriver for scope caps screws, get one of the brand names, like CDI, Wiha, Mountz or above mentioned Snap-On, which is simply a re-branded and slightlly more expensive CDI. For action screws, assuming that you're using 65 inch-lbs., take a look at Borka Tools PTL-065-IP, which is an extremely accurate and durable 65 inch-lbs. torque tool, less expensive but much better quality tool that Seekonk T-handle.

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
I'm using a FAT. I have no complaints. If I was to upgrade, or simply by another torque wrench, I would pick up a Borka. Only because of all the positive reviews on the 'Hide.

Chris,

Mechanical torque wrench with such relatively large range, 20 to 150 inch-lbs. , will not be accurate and "sensative" enough
to be suitable for scope caps screws, although it should be all right for action and barrel screws in the range from, say, 45 to 145 inch-lbs.

If you do not need more than 72 inch-lbs., then Borka Tools MG torque driver will cover all your needs.

If you're interested, I also recommend you to look at Triad Tactical, as Steve from Triad carries the full line of Borka Tools products, same selection of products as directly from Borka Tools.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Borka-Tools/

There is a list of other dealers on www.borkatools.com, so you can also choose the vendor according to your preferences.

If you prefer adjustable torque screwdriver for scope caps screws, get one of the brand names, like CDI, Mountz or above mentioned Snap-On, which is simply a re-branded and slightlly more expensive CDI. For action screws, assuming that you're using 65 inch-lbs., take a look at Borka Tools PTL-065-IP, which is an extremely accurate and durable 65 inch-lbs. torque tool, less expensive but much better quality tool that Seekonk T-handle.

Boris
Borka Tools

The barrel screws need to be torqued to 100 in/lbs for the Barrett MRAD per the Operators Manual. It looks like I might need a driver for scope screws and a wrench for the barrels. Unless you can think of a solution. Your opinion is greatly valued and appreciated. Thank you Boris, Chris

Have a look at the seekins ( sp) torque wrenches I have one for optics and one for the barrel change on my lmt mws
If you can't find much I will bring mine for you to see

This is what Marc uses at Spartan Precision Rifles, I saw him use it last week.

Brownell's Magna Tip: http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...wnells-magna-tip-torque-handle-prod39538.aspx

I've been using a Utica torque screwdriver and a Snap-On torque wrench, both purchased "new" on eBay. The Brownell's torque driver could replace both of my tools and I'm thinking about getting one. The Uticas are really nice for torquing rings, but you have to reset them to zero to preserve the calibration, which is a small pain in the ass. The Snap-On is a right-angle click wrench, and the Brownells is a straight driver that is less amenable to torquing cross bolts, so I'm ambivalent about getting rid of the Snap-On. All of these tools are 1/4" drive or hex, so it's easy to attach standard bits and sockets. The Snap-On goes to 200 inch-pounds, I think, while the Utica goes to 30 inch-pounds.

Utica TS-30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-In-Box-...430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0ab4bb7e

Snap-On QJR117F: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-QJR...501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b9ef6405

BTW, these types of torque wrenches are usually calibrated from 20% to 100% of their maximum torque ratings. For example, the Snap-On QJR117F has a max torque rating of 200 inch-pounds, so it's good from 40 to 200 inch-pounds --- not good for torquing both cross bolts and rings. If you need to torque barrel screws to 100 inch-pounds, the tool may not be accurate below 20 inch-pounds or more, so you might need another tool for torquing rings. A wrench may be "adjustable" to less than 20% of it maximum torque, but the setting may be less accurate.

PS I paid about $65 for my Utica and about $85 for the Snap-On - both were unused. I see that there is an eBay seller with new Pittsburg 1/4", 200 inch-pound wrenches for under $25! Wow.

eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-3-8-1-2...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f21ab1e19

Last edited:
Have a look at the seekins ( sp) torque wrenches I have one for optics and one for the barrel change on my lmt mws
If you can't find much I will bring mine for you to see

That sounds great Ron. Also spoke to Bushnell yesterday and they are getting them ready to ship I'll PM you with details.

I have a fat wrench and it seems ok but have never tested it to see if it's accurate. When it craps out, I'm getting a Borka or Wiha.

I've had two FAT wrenches break on me. Went with Borka and have not looked back. Definitely worth the money.

I use the FAT wrench and it has been trouble free. It is however only up to 65 in.lbs. so it would not be enough for what you need. If I had not bought the Fat it would have been the Borka though.