• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Total noob to LR shooting - advice please...

Shinden

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any information or advice.

While I have been shooting since the early '80's (with a lengthy hiatus for school and family) I recently got back into it and have become interested in long range tactical style shooting. Currently I have a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a Harris bipod (9-12" friction lock swivel head model).

It is in the optic where I am a complete and total noob. In my 'first gun period' I had good eyesight so it was no problem to use irons on my old Garand. But now my aging eyes pretty much demand scopes.

For now, I have taken the optic off the 10/22 I have been using for low cost trigger time and am using it as a starter scope for the Remington. Try not to gag - It is the old 6.5-20x50 "Whitetail Classic" by Simmons (actually the glass on the Simmons is clearer and brighter than my Nikon 3-9x40 and has a mildot reticle as well). As a range toy with a 300 yard zero, it's okay, and it actually looks pretty good with BC caps and ARD, but I really do want something better.

Anyway, I am torn between waiting for around 3 months or so to afford a USO or NF, or pulling the trigger now on something like a Millett LRS or maybe next month on a Sightron III.

If I understand correctly from my lurking on this board, the main difference between something like the USO or NF is the durability. How much of a drop in durability is taken when going down to something like the SIII or the Millett? Do the Milletts and Sightrons use spring loaded detents on the turrets, or do they use the cheaper 'extruded detent' of my Nikon and Simmons?

Anyway, thanks for any information,
Shinden

Re: Total noob to LR shooting - advice please...

Welcome to the Hide!
Regarding your scope choice, take a look in the for sale section here and you may get the scope you want at a great price!
One of the downfalls of living in canada, I can't take advantage of the great deals on some of the items posted for sale here.

Good luck.

if you have a scope that's working well for you now, it's worth the wait to save up and get what you really want.

i've never extensively used NF or USO, but from my experience, the SIII line is very durable and is backed by some of the best CS i've ever dealt with.

Your in the right place to do some extensive research on differences between scopes. Tough to measure durability, but after spending some time here you will see various scopes tested and reviewed. If you really want to know about durability search Lowlight's posts on scopes - he beats hell out of his for testing purposes!
There really are a LOT of good scopes out there, just take your time and do your research. For what its worth I own a nightforce and am thinking about getting a sightron SIII after spending a little time with one on the range (not to replace the NF, for another rifle).

If you wont be beating the hell out of you rifle and scope, the new SIII will serve you well. Make sure the turrets match the reticle no matter which scope you decide on (mil/mil or moa/moa). Either system works just fine. I grew up with moa adjustments and mil reticles but to have a matching system is a dream come true, especially in the LR game.

Good luck and welcome to the hide.

Don't forget to look at used scopes for quality at lower price ranges. A lot of perfectly fine scopes go up for sale after being used only once or twice or some times not at all. The owner gets a busy schedule and doesn't really get a chance to go shoot, decides he needs a new popular feature that just came out, needs quick cash, etc.

A used second focal plane model that is a real deal, trustworthy tactical scope can be found as cheap as a bargain scope with the latest, coolest tactical features.

Thanks much for the info guys.

It's a tough call, since this is a budget build, but I will hold on a little and keep researching. I guess in addition to the features I don't have now (ffp, sf, target turrets) I want a sense of relative 'bullet-proofness' in my optic. This one works fine as a range toy, but I think one good drop and I will be wishing I had spent more $$ in the first place.

Any good drop test data on makers like Millett, Sightron, and Vortex?

All the best,
Shinden