• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Totally awesome barreling and action truing system

Re: Totally awesome barreling and action truing system

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are things coming along? Getting close to the finishline? </div></div>

Yes, very close!
pics and update coming soon.......

Nate

That is awsome Nate
smile.gif
. Can't wait...I pick up my new lathe in July...one of these will be on order right behind it...

--Wintermute

Although I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist. I can tell quality when I see it. The videos are cool too. I enjoyed watching them.

TAG.

Great idea! Yet another one of those things I've seen in the gunsmithing section of this forum that begs the question, "why didn't I think of that?".

Nate,

Super design. Looks rigid and easy to adjust. I am probably going to order a couple from you.

Quick question: I understand that you are taking advantage of a 6-jaw or collet for rigidity. That is working well as long as you have a straight cylinder section of barrel blank to hold. How do you recommend setting up this system when the user needs to hold a barrel at a tapered section?

I usually do all breech work on several barrels then flip them around and do all muzzle work at on session. When I'm cutting muzzle/crowns or cutting suppressor threads, I am obviously holding the blank in a taper area of the O.D.

At least half of my barrel work would require holding the piece around a tapered part of the contour.

I may have missed something in the videos or this thread that already addressed that. If so, sorry.

Thanks,
Terry

Getting close to a ship date? It's not that I'm chomping at the bit but, well, ok I'm chomping at the bit.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting close to a ship date? It's not that I'm chomping at the bit but, well, ok I'm chomping at the bit.
laugh.gif

</div></div>
Ratbert,
Yours should be headed your way on Friday!! The range rods will ship seperatly as I have not received them in yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308nate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting close to a ship date? It's not that I'm chomping at the bit but, well, ok I'm chomping at the bit.
laugh.gif

</div></div>
Ratbert,
Yours should be headed your way on Friday!! The range rods will ship seperatly as I have not received them in yet.</div></div>

Giggity. I've already got a small list of two-sided projects that are waiting on this, and that's not even counting the gun stuff.

True Bore Alignment Systems are starting to ship!!!!!

My distributer for the D1-4 backplates shorted me and they are supposed to be here the first part of next week and will ship as soon as possible after they arrive. I did have a couple D1-4 backplates come in so they are shipping out and had the D1-5's and D1-6's come in so they will be shipping out as well.
All the chucks are here for the Systems that are ordered and the True Bore Alignment Systems are complete(I am just finishing up the last few push and pull bolts)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nate,

Super design. Looks rigid and easy to adjust. I am probably going to order a couple from you.

Quick question: I understand that you are taking advantage of a 6-jaw or collet for rigidity. That is working well as long as you have a straight cylinder section of barrel blank to hold. How do you recommend setting up this system when the user needs to hold a barrel at a tapered section?

I usually do all breech work on several barrels then flip them around and do all muzzle work at on session. When I'm cutting muzzle/crowns or cutting suppressor threads, I am obviously holding the blank in a taper area of the O.D.

At least half of my barrel work would require holding the piece around a tapered part of the contour.

I may have missed something in the videos or this thread that already addressed that. If so, sorry.

Thanks,
Terry </div></div>

Terry,
The best way I have found (to date) to hold on the tapered part is with tapered slip bushings (three jaws on each bushing) I realize this is not the most attractive option as one needs to make many different bushings for the many different contours and lengths.( I have been brainstorming about a system that would allow adjustable straight outside to tapered inside, this would require holding the barrel only in four places and possibly giving up some rigidity so the tapered split bushings are still going to be the more rigid option. but definitely open to some creative ideas on this subject.

Anyone tried using brass 5c emergency collets held in a hexagonal (or square, depending on the chuck) collet block? I'm mulling over if the time saved starting with an emergency collet would be worth the $20 cost.

Guys,
It's been awhile since I posted. It's been a crazy busy summer here.
I got a chance to take some video clips of my bolt holding fixture as well as a tapered bushing for holding barrels on a taper.
Thanks for all the purchases and interest. I am starting another run of these as I only have a few left.

]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RRckp0gjNA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[

]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e5-U0dMad4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[

Anyone using theirs yet? I would like to hear some feedback.

I got mine a couple weeks ago.

Installed it and indicated a piece of ground round.

Cut some chips from an old barrel.

Took it back off put my other chuck back on and I'm working on some other stuff right now.

Need a few more knick knacks and a new barrel blank then I can put it to work for real.

Do you have one?

Anyone using these almost a year later having good results with them? How is the ball section holding up after dozens of uses? I would love to hear about some results with this system before I spend the money.

Mine showed up recently (IOW, I haven't had a chance to use it for a year), however, I have had a chance to inspect it, disassemble it, and generally give it a very good once over. In my opinion, there's no way one would have to worry about it wearing out after thousands and thousands of uses, never mind dozens. It's steel (very good steel in fact). It's a very larger surface area for the hemispherical section of it, as long as that is clean of abrasive material and very lightly oiled, it should never see any problems with wear (at least not in my lifetime nor that of the next two owners after I'm gone). Basically, if you're worried about wear and/or it holding up to use, don't, it'll do just fine long after you're dead and gone as long as you don't get abrasive material into it or just not care for it in general.

--Wintermute

We have been using our original True Bore Alignment System almost daily for about 2 years now and have also sold 44 of the systems in the USA and Canada and am unaware of any unhappy clients. I have had many, many great comments and remarks by phone and e-mail. There can be a learning curve to the TBAS system. Depending on the torque of your angular adjustment bolts and the distance away from the chuck jaws you can have part off issues as some have reported. I have done some parting off without a problem in my lathe with the TBAS, but a parting operation does apply a lot of tool pressure and I do recommend against it if possible at least before final dial in. The system as stated above is designed to be a one time investment and with proper use I do not see the system wearing out in many life times.
I do not part off barrels in this system. I cut the barrels in a band saw and then run a facing operation. My latest report was from a system I sold to a US Army marksmanship unit and they were extremely happy with it and one of the gentleman that uses it was so pleased he is purchasing one for his own shop.
We just finished up a run of 15 of these systems and as of today only have five left...time to start another run.

Thanks for all your interest and support.
Have a Happy New Year All!

Nathan