• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tough time getting patches through my barrel???

buckey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
I cleaned my Patriot Arms .300 Win mag the other night to get ready to start dialing it in for an up coming elk hunt. The rifle is basically brand new - only around 125 rounds down the tube. (Broughton 5c barrel)

I started with a couple wet patches w/ Butch's on it. They went throught the tube fairly easily. Next ran a couple of dry patches through and they were rough to push through.

Next Used Wipe Out and let sit for 1 hour. When I went to dry patch the Wipe Out, I had a hell of a time getting the patch through. I really had to puts some nuts behind the cleaning rod to get through. The rod was flexing and I was worried about boogering up my barrel. Ran a couple more through and they got a little easier but not like on my other rifles.

Could it be that the barrel was down to bare metal and the dry patch was catching on the inside?? Like I said this is a new barrel and I'm worried about something being f'd up??

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing?? (I have obessive compulsive disorder) Haven't shot it since.

What do you guys think??

Re: Tough time getting patches through my barrel ?????

I was using a Lucas bore guide, Bore Tech coated rod, Bore Tech jag, and Butch's 30 caliber cleaning patches.

Patches came out toatally clean after the Wipe Out.

It may be nothing, but like I said, I have OCD - LOL!!

Sounds like you have a really really rough bore, go ahead and send it to me I will get it smoothed right out for ya!
laugh.gif

On the real side though, I think its normal, I have some patches from brownells that when wet they go smooth but a dry one is a real PITA, only makes sense hell why do you think they make astroglide.

there are SQUARE patches to wrap around them LONG jags

there are ROUND patches to center-punch with the pointy short jag

did you ........mix 'em up maybe ?

No, used the round patch, pointed jag combo.

This was only the second time I ever cleaned the rifle. 1rst when I originally got the rifle from Jered, and now this time.

Maybe its nothing, but this rifle is my baby!! Just thought I'd pick some brains - alot of knowledge /experience on this site.

Tough time getting patches through my barrel???

Thought it could be the patches, but then cleaned my Patriot Arms 30-06 (Rock barrel) with same patches with no problems.

Re: Tough time getting patches through my barrel???

Try a smaller patch

could be carbon build up in the throat. If the resistance you are feeling is in the first few inches off the bore guide, and then the patch runs smoothly, you have a carbon buildup. Yes, you can have a carbon problem even if you used butch's, etc.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but I'm just looking to see if anyone experienced this same issue???

Patch sizes vary, even if they are all supposed to be 30 cal. in size. Try placing the patches on the point just a bit to one side rather than perfectly centered on the jag. That, and try running a patch of Kroil through the barrel first, to get the fouling out, then wet-patch with Butch's.

I use a 2 inch square and a 7mm jag. Works good on my .30 and .298 stuff.

Later, Brad

Does it shoot good? If so, clean it, shoot it and clean it again when you need to.

don't worry about the small stuff.

When you push dry patches thru, just use a slightly smaller size.