• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tower stands/Box Blinds update DIY build pics

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I have a new favorite spot on the farm I hunt. I have a ladder stand located on an inside corner of a field. There is a deep ditch running the length of one side with thick timber and more thick stuff on the other side, cedar thicket behind me with a creek bottom below the cedars. Deer have approched from all directions from the surrounding timber and cross back and forth in the field. I plan on planting a destination food plot next year to get them stay a while and produce more opportunities for shots. I would like to place a tower stand / box blind near the middle for bow and gun hunts. the field is 225 yards long by about 80 yards wide. I would like to buy a prefab set-up or possibly build my own. Please post your suggestions or plans you have used for your own tower stands or box blinds. I have looked at a few online and prices really vary from about $400 to in the thousands.

Re: Tower stands/Box Blinds

I built one several years ago so my daughters could hunt with me. Most if not all prefab ones I have seen just don't cut it. I would highly recommend 15 foot or higher to the floor. Take the time to put double pane windows to eliminate fogging up. Most of the time you can find scratch and dent stuff at the local lowes ect. Scent control is a great benefit of the well built blind. I have 7-8 hundred im mine and it has been worth every penny. Something my brother in law always has said, if you aren't warm your not having fun. A buddy heater can easily keep the blind warm in any kind of weather. Also make it on a frame/set of legs so it can be moved in the future. The deer will start to skirt around it after a few years and some killing. My daughter killed a 160 class buck a few years ago out of ours. If you are a bow hunter you will have to make the windows to work for bow and gun. Good luck, if you have any questions about my blind give me a pm.

I did some checking on Steel Angle stock from a local supplier. I can get 8 ft. lengths of 2 1/2x 2 1/2 x1/4" thick which I am sure is more than sturdy to hold a shooting house and people. I am estimating my cost somewhere around $600-$700 in metal materials. Then I would still need to buy wood, windows and fastners for the house. My other option is to use wood to build the whole thing which would help with cost but, then how would I protect the thing to get a lot of life out of it?

Buy once, cry once..........I typically don't buy that, but I bought this and I cry still! Redneck 5x6 combo.

Two big boys can set in this very comfortably and still have room to move around. Real glass, all fiberglass, carpet, etc. The window and door latches are a bit on the cheesy side, but goes up slick and should be there when my 6 month old is hunting.

2011-10-09_14-42-49_102.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but, then how would I protect the thing to get a lot of life out of it? </div></div>

Paint, caulk, mebbe?

Ill take some photos of ours in the morning and put together a material list for you. Might give you some ideas. Like Tripwire said, paint and caulk is the ticket. Also a good roof system.

Colt

I enjoy building things myself and built these modular blinds a few years ago. They are 4x6x6.5ft with a landing and stairway. The floor is treated plywood and everything else is steel. They can be completely be put up and taken down piece by piece by 2 people, I made them this way because I couldnt place this one in the pic below as a whole unit due to the location.

blind2.jpg

It on a fairly steep hillside and it's not evident in the picture but I had to use 20" adjustment in the adjustable stand legs to make it level.
IMG_5587.jpg

Nice work Gordo. We have some store bought towers that sit on the same frame and legs as your houses. Built a twenty foot one exactly where we were told, boss came out the next day and changed his mind and said put it where we tried to tell him the day before. Had to disassemble it and move it 50 yards. Its been four years and he's hunted it maybe ten times... Frustrating stuff

These folks make great towers with comfortable, webbed, high back, quiet, swivel chairs. They make some tall ones and they are very light weight.
<span style="font-weight: bold">FAMILY TRADITION TREE STANDS LINK</span>

Frames are made out of EMT and they come with a quality OD powder coat on them. They are not sealed, its more like hunting out of a tall, covered ladder stand except you are comfortable and can silently swivel to make a quick shot or to glass 360*. And you don't need a tree to put one up obviously. You will have to dress warm if its cold and play the wind/scent game, way better than in a twelve foot ladder being 18ft + up but not like being in a sealed blind.

TRI18-no-background-camo.gif

DBL-TRI-no-background.gif

DBL-TRI-no-background-camo-.gif

Add some camo net to the backside windows to help from being skylined.

Three people and a trailer can easily stand one up or lay it down to move when needed. If in an open field you will need to auger/cable it to the ground.

Building your own is great but only if you have the knowledge/skill/tools to do it right. Good windows, a good roof and a propane heater does sound real nice. We've built wooden towers, tin/metal towers on rolling metal air plane service ladders and even rolling wooden blinds on old feed trailers.

The Family Tradition ladder stands are by far my favorite ladders, so comfortable. Millennium makes nice ones too but they are heavy. The F. Traditions are super light. I have a 18 foot two man that I can move by myself without taking it apart (its a b*tch alone but worth it sometimes)

dd14ladder.jpg

Its just like this but with two extra 4 ft sections added. I hunt it by myself which leaves room to stretch out and sit all day with your gun/pack/bow etc.

I like to find a bushy tree and trim out a hole for the top section, I also brush in the ladder. I don't like hanging off the side of a naked tree. Again, I hang camo net all the way around the flip up arm/gun rest and back up behind my head.

I built my blind using 4x4s for the legs and 1 inch thick rough sawn lumber for everything else. The blind is 6x6x6 and it's built on a 6'x10' platform 6 feet off of the ground. I put stain on it for weather protection. The inside is lined with carpet remnants for warmth and quiet. I've got under $200 in it.

Great looking blinds Gordo perfect size, and be sure to make them big enough when my nephews were small we had lots of room but they grew up and so did my blind.

Thanks for the contributions. I am considering lots of ideas at the moment so keep them coming. I am not a carpenter or welder so pictures of what you all are talking about helps a lot.

I was recently invited to be a charter member in a new hunting club starting up next season. I am in the early stages of resource planning, so this thread is a very timely read. I was debating building my own vs buying a pre-fab. My favorite nephew suggested buying a Sportsman's Condo (LINK), but they aren't anywhere near cheap. I'm fighting the budget vs buy-once-cry-once dilema. These ideas are great, keep 'em coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Redneck 5x6 combo. </div></div>

I checked their website, but you have to request a quote to see the price. Can you advise a ballpark on what you paid?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Redneck 5x6 combo. </div></div>

I checked their website, but you have to request a quote to see the price. Can you advise a ballpark on what you paid? </div></div>

Bass pro is selling 360 combo box and stand for just under $2600 plus shipping. They look like they are perfect for what I want to but, I would need to save for a while.

$2700 and that included shipping from them to SW KS via truck.

BTW, awesome home built units fellas.

check out chas-mac tripods in houston if your wanting to go that route. you can build your own box blind for a fraction of the price of a high dollar blind. PM me if you want some detailed drawings i found on a different forum for box, hexagon or octagon blinds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have researched the net for years on this subject. I have never seen any of these in person but this is what I want

http://www.secondcreekdeerblinds.com/ </div></div>

Pricey but, nicey

if you end up building your own, don't do full wrap around windows (plexiglass works great where you can slide them horizontally just enough to get your barrel out the window) be sure to leave yourself the corner support posts and maybe a middle post that you can "hide" behind. Help conceal your movement a little bit. Be sure to carpet the bottom and get a very quiet/comfortable chair too!

I like building my own. If you can do it yourself then go for it!
This is one I did this year.

101_2024.jpg

101_2026.jpg

101_2030.jpg

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do people paint elevated shooting stands in camouflage patterns. If it's sitting out in the middle of the whole wide world, why wouldn't ya paint it sky blue?

Just curious . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive my ignorance, but why do people paint elevated shooting stands in camouflage patterns. If it's sitting out in the middle of the whole wide world, why wouldn't ya paint it sky blue?

Just curious . . .</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Cordrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

101_2024.jpg

</div></div>

dont ya think sky blue would kind of stick out here?

"If it's sitting out in the middle of the whole wide world, . . ."

. . . and the rest of the question.

Regardless, it might spook a deer the first few times it sees the stand after completion, but after a while the deer just consider them as other trees.

Don't think the deer cares one way or the other.

But I guess if you're going to paint it for weather protection, you may as well have some fun.

Frank, my wife and I's lease will be up in June if you're looking for tenants. Looks like a significant square footage upgrade from the matchbox we live in right now.

Really though, that's a hell of a stand. Nice work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank, my wife and I's lease will be up in June if you're looking for tenants. Looks like a significant square footage upgrade from the matchbox we live in right now.

Really though, that's a hell of a stand. Nice work. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta admit, the paneling and carpet is a very nice touch.
(Actually, I'm just envious)</div></div>

Thanks fellas.

I wanted a nice stand so that I could start taking my 4 year old little girl. I didn't want her trying to climb ladders and freezing when it gets cold so built it with a stair case and finished the inside. Got a heater ,potty seat and all!

I've taken her several times. She loves it.
1322084963986.jpg
1320186116176.jpg

deer get used to them just like they do an old piece of farm equipment rusting away in the field. its really not a big deal what color they are.

Frank, your "anthem" should be the old Crosby, Stills and Nash song, "Teach Your Children Well".

But make sure you get 'em out in the weather once they're old and sturdy enough to handle it . . . the "essence of the hunt" sort of thing.

Frank,
Thats why I am building this, so I can take the kids and introduce them to hunting now and the elements as they get older.

Build your own, Frank’s and mine appear to be about the same size. I just did not fully enclose mine. I did make it big enough for two adults to have enough room to sleep in, so about 5’W x 6.5’L x 6’H and 10' off the ground. It has a metal roof and side walls that are high enough to keep me mostly hidden when siting. It knocks the wind down and keeps me dry unless it’s too nasty to be outside in the first place.

The deer don’t care what color you paint them. But use treated wood and do paint it. That is what I did ten years ago and everything is still looking good, no rot or even splitting in the ply wood walls.

I have had many deer walk under it while I have been in it and it’s not uncommon to find a deer bed under it in the winter.

The wood and bolts cost about 150-200 bucks ten years ago.

I ordered these so I can begin building my own elevated platform. For now I am planning a elevated platform somewhere around 14-15ft. Then I am going to put my Ameristep Bone collector ground blind on top until I can afford to build the box install windows and a roof. Gander Mtn. was a little cheaper than SPG.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...levators_4_Pack

KillerSpade13 I used to think the same thing until I built a blind for my dad. He told me he wanted a large Texas Trophy hunter logo painted on the side. So I painted him one in white. It spooked deer like no tomorrow I could'nt belive it needless to say it got covered up in green rattle can quick.

One bit of advice,

If you build your own, build it tougher than you think it needs to be. I have seen lots of flimsy ones (after only one year in the elements) that I wouldn't want to put my kid in. When in doubt use a 4x4 is my motto...

It has worked best to build several sub assemblies at home and bolt it together and roof it on site. A well built 4x8 blind will get heavy quick.

+1 on the double pane windows from the scratch and dent pile.

I agree. This will have to be built to last and stand up to the elements. Safety is utmost important and I will beef it up whenever possible.

Yes..Family Tradition Stands and Tripods are SOLID...high quality and comfortable.

The ladder stands actually have 2 rods on each side of the rungs and they bolt together
3EXT.gif

These stands do not move once you put them on the tree and due to the design can handle "big boys". The DD14 (buddy stand) can hold 400lbs.

The tripod stands have a swivel chair that is super comfortable and you can completely swivel 360 without having to stand up.

Double Seat Tripod

Most important thing about these stands though is to find someone local to you to buy them. Shipping will eat your lunch if you try to buy them online!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work Gordo. We have some store bought towers that sit on the same frame and legs as your houses. Built a twenty foot one exactly where we were told, boss came out the next day and changed his mind and said put it where we tried to tell him the day before. Had to disassemble it and move it 50 yards. Its been four years and he's hunted it maybe ten times... Frustrating stuff

These folks make great towers with comfortable, webbed, high back, quiet, swivel chairs. They make some tall ones and they are very light weight.
<span style="font-weight: bold">FAMILY TRADITION TREE STANDS LINK</span>

Frames are made out of EMT and they come with a quality OD powder coat on them. They are not sealed, its more like hunting out of a tall, covered ladder stand except you are comfortable and can silently swivel to make a quick shot or to glass 360*. And you don't need a tree to put one up obviously. You will have to dress warm if its cold and play the wind/scent game, way better than in a twelve foot ladder being 18ft + up but not like being in a sealed blind.

TRI18-no-background-camo.gif

DBL-TRI-no-background.gif

DBL-TRI-no-background-camo-.gif

Add some camo net to the backside windows to help from being skylined.

Three people and a trailer can easily stand one up or lay it down to move when needed. If in an open field you will need to auger/cable it to the ground.

Building your own is great but only if you have the knowledge/skill/tools to do it right. Good windows, a good roof and a propane heater does sound real nice. We've built wooden towers, tin/metal towers on rolling metal air plane service ladders and even rolling wooden blinds on old feed trailers.

The Family Tradition ladder stands are by far my favorite ladders, so comfortable. Millennium makes nice ones too but they are heavy. The F. Traditions are super light. I have a 18 foot two man that I can move by myself without taking it apart (its a b*tch alone but worth it sometimes)

dd14ladder.jpg

Its just like this but with two extra 4 ft sections added. I hunt it by myself which leaves room to stretch out and sit all day with your gun/pack/bow etc.

I like to find a bushy tree and trim out a hole for the top section, I also brush in the ladder. I don't like hanging off the side of a naked tree. Again, I hang camo net all the way around the flip up arm/gun rest and back up behind my head.

</div></div>

I am currently in the process of building a 6x6 tower blind. I will post an article with photos when Im all done this spring. I would definatley recommend using "Elevators." They are pre fabbed metal brackets that hold a 4x4 post at the perfect angle on each corner of the floor base. You can get them online from Home Depot for a bout $80 for a set of 4. I have also seen them for sale at Fleet Farm. They take all the guess work out of setting up your 4x4 posts to use as support legs. Simply bolt and go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently in the process of building a 6x6 tower blind. I will post an article with photos when Im all done this spring. I would definatley recommend using "Elevators." They are pre fabbed metal brackets that hold a 4x4 post at the perfect angle on each corner of the floor base. You can get them online from Home Depot for a bout $80 for a set of 4. I have also seen them for sale at Fleet Farm. They take all the guess work out of setting up your 4x4 posts to use as support legs. Simply bolt and go! </div></div>

I already have the elevators and starting to acquire all the treated lumber and hardware. I ordered mine from Gander Mtn. $80

6'4"x6'4", I used treated 2x6's for the box and 2x4's on 12.5" centers. The portion that is extending out from underneath is for the ladder attachment. I will put the legs on when I put it in my huntin spot. I think I am only going up about 10.5 ft. I am not a carpenter by any means but I thought it turned out descent. I will use the ground blind on top until I can afford to enclose and put a roof on it.
blind1k.jpg

By sambam45 at 2012-03-11
blind2m.jpg

blind32.jpg

blind4m.jpg

blind5.jpg