• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TPS Rings?

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Did a search couldnt come up with anything..Anyone dealt with TPS and like their rings? I have SS rings right now just thinkin about upgrading sometime..in no hurry though...I dont need the most expensive rings...

Also have an EGW base..How do these rate up? internet search seems to be pretty positive..

One more thing...Are Aluminum Bases/Rings inferior to Steal?..(As is...not being in a combat situation where you ABUSE them..) but just for hunting and shooting.. Are they just as stable?

Thanks

Re: TPS Rings?

Mine gave up and allowed the scope to turn. I installed them according to instructions but had to file additional clearance to get them to snug up. I tried to save a few bucks but now I would just go with Badger and be done with it.

Have two rifles with TPS rings and have had no problems. Have held well on my .308 and 6mm Remington. EGW base haven't used yet, have considered. Looking at their HD low profile mount. Just need to know the thickness.

I like my TPS rings, have two pair. Highs & x-tra low.. Brownells is a good place to buy them. I bought my last pair from SWFA due to availability. As far as aluminum vs steel? Aluminum is just fine if it is 6061 or 7075 material. Steel is stronger, just heavier and has corrosion characteristics.

Brandon

I have had a set for about 3 months now. they are holding my Nightforce scope just fine on a magnum rifle.

I've had a few sets of TPS rings, all have worked without issue. They do really push the tolerances though so if you get a scope that's a little on the small side of 1" or 30mm (they do vary) you may have to file some material off to get enough clamping force.

I've ran TPS alloy rings and EGW bases on several rifles and they've always worked great and run under $100 for the rings/bases. That said, if you know you are going to be super hard on your rifle I'd probably steer to steel bases and rings. Of course I also think spending $400 for rings and bases is insane unless your life or the lives of others depend on your rifle. I think 95% of people that think they need super strong rings/bases could easily get away with a set of tally's and never have an issue. Aside in the case of needing a rail for extra fore/aft adjustment.

EGW bases are great for the money and unless you want to pay for the absolute top of the line, EGW bases will be just fine. I have heard people say they are on the soft side but I've never had a problem.

My good friend that I do most of my shooting with has TPS rings. they are good quality and work great for him. I will probably buy those for my next rifle as the 2 sets of burris XTR rings I have on both of my 700's have too many f**king screws IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at their HD low profile mount. Just need to know the thickness. </div></div>

Here is the direct reply from EGW Customer Service... just for your information.

DK

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Message from Evolution Gun Works, Inc.
> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:31:52 -0500
>
> Std is .450" high
> HD is .350" high
>
>
> Thank you,
>
> Allyson

TPS are great rings, I have used them on SB, Nikon tactical, without problems. When I went to mount a NF NXS scope the scope didn't want to go into the rings without binding. Knowing they fit perfectly on the other two scopes I realized it was the scope that was off spec. TPS however never responded to my emails concerning the out of spec issue. just an fyi. customer service seems to be non existent but the rings seem like a good bang for buck.

I would agree with the comment about them being right on the line with spec, I have a Meopta 4x16 with 30mm tube that kept moving in the TPS, the tube was just slightly undersized. The scope held fine in all other rings.

I always thought the build quality was good for the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you get the regular TSR or the Weaver TSR ? brownells has some good prices on them. </div></div>

We try to compare prices and make sure ours are the lowest, if you find a lower price we offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx

I've got a set in 35mm. They seem ok for the money. But nowhere as nice as Seekins.

did you measure the scope? reading what others have said, it may not be the rings. possibly adding something to the interior surface of the rings may help. possibly a few layers of clear tape? oh yeah, i have the EGW base on my rifle. i think i am going to take it off and get the 20MOA from them and sell my 0 MOA