• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tracking issues with my Vortex Razor 1-6

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
So I'm a big fan of this scope and am very pleased with its overall value. I happen to find out today however that it does not track....
At least not well. I watched a 3 gun tip about having a short yardage zero to keep from having to hold high(just one less thing to remember)on short range targets on stages where there are no targets over 25 or 30 yards. I shot my rifle at 50 feet made the necessary adjustments and had a 15 yard zero. Only problem when I dial back to my 100 yard zero I'm 3 inches low and 1/2 inch right. So I repeat the process, 15 yard zero back to 100 and so on about 10 times. Now I'm 4 inches high of my original zero and seven inches high of my "low" zero...
Now if you guys tell me that this is not the way the scope was designed to be used(like its big brothers) and to find my 100 (or 200) zero and leave it, then that's cool. I just expected a little more...thoughts?
Oh and it is in the vortex (American defense) QD mount.

Check your mount. Then do an actual tracking test on paper at 100 yards. I would do at least 10 mils or 34.5 MOA.

I always ran a 50 yard zero on my 3-gun rifle. That is also the same as a 200 yard zero. Just know your mech offset at close distance, hold a little low at 100 and hold over past 200.

Also, make sure you de-greased your mount and used the supplied thread locker. When you mounted the scope in the rings the bottom should be tightened first to lock the rings to the base of the mount. I have seen a lot of guys mess that up and accuracy suffered.

I had issues with my Vortex 6.5-20x50 last fall. It worked great at a competition then a week later it couldn't hit a plate of steel at 600 yards. I sent it to Vortex and they said it works fine but I had tightened my screws to tight and I was getting refraction issues from it. I had them set at like 25 in lbs and they are suppose to be at only 18.

I would check those while you are retightening and loc-titing your scope base.

Check your mount. Then do an actual tracking test on paper at 100 yards. I would do at least 10 mils or 34.5 MOA.

I always ran a 50 yard zero on my 3-gun rifle. That is also the same as a 200 yard zero. Just know your mech offset at close distance, hold a little low at 100 and hold over past 200.

Good advice here on both points. Check it and if there is a problem then contact them. I doubt it's the ring cap tightness as the Razor II scopes are built different than the PST line Anthony spoke of.

Also, I run a 50/200 zero on that scope as well as with the BDC JM-1 reticle it's set up to do so. Find it easy to use that way as outside 200 the reticle holds are used for fast hold hits and inside 200 are either slight hold unders like at 100 or over for the scope offset inside 25 yards.

Thanks for the replys, I remounted the scope. I had tightened the upper and lower bolts evenly, so that may have had something to do with the trouble. I will shoot a ladder in the morning. I know that a MOA is actually a little longer than an inch at 100 yards but is it enough to throw off the readings? Also if the scope is not tracking at "12 clicks" what do I hope to learn from this ladder test?

Thanks for the replys, I remounted the scope. I had tightened the upper and lower bolts evenly,?

Just a quick note, This is probably the problem. The bottom screws must be tightened first without any tension on the top screws. The bottom screws are what holds the rings to the base. They do not hold the scope at all. More than likely what was happening was the whole scope was shifting. However, if you still have issues, dont hesitate to call me or pm me.

Best Regards
Scott
800-426-0048

I haven't had a chance to shoot the ladder after the remount, but I did want to clarify one thing. I did not shoot everyime I dialed between my 100 yard zero and my 15 yard zero, I simply dialed up to 100 and down to 15 10 times and then reshot. So im not sure that the issue with the mount would have caused a 7 inch swing, but I will test and report back..

Thanks for the reply Scott, that's why im a loyal customer....