• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tracking test for Schmidt and Bender 6-36

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Stay tuned
    IMG_5546.jpeg
    IMG_5545.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5548.jpeg

For those tracking your own scopes note the following

Leica DISTO D2 laser accurate to 1/64 of an inch at 100 yards. Being off by 1 yard is one percent error out of the gates and COMPLETELY unacceptable so you have to be accurate down to at least 1 foot if not 1 inch in your distance to the tall ruler. Dont use your standard rangefinder. Get a Leica or run a 100 yard tape straight and taught. My Vectronix PLEF15 measures this distance (84 yards) with an error of 1-2 yards!

Make sure the tall ruler is perfectly level

Test the scope over 30 MRAD or 96 inches if possible. You’re trying to magnify minuscule errors in each click and 10 MRAD is barely enough clicks.

Make sure the apparatus you rest in is completely immobile. The one pictured weighs 25# and has a 26# lead brick atop it and sits atop a 300# concrete block. Overkill, but you get the point

OTOH if you’re not shooting ELR none of this matters. If you want to know whether or not such precise measurements of tracking error are worth it, figure out the farthest you’re going to shoot and how many MRAD elevation are needed for that shot and then see how many clicks a one percent error will throw you off in either direction. if it is too little to matter, don’t bother measuring unless it is purely mental masturbation, or to feel confident in your scope, or to have bragging rights of how well it tracks

Perhaps the worst thing you could do is half ass this procedure in 30 minutes, get a result that has a one or 2% error built into it from sloppy inputs, adjust your clicks for that, and make your system less accurate than it was to start out; you want this procedure to increase click accuracy, not decrease it.

Last edited:
    Thank you for your review and testing. This definitely makes me happy about my purchase, although I lack a long range where I can utilize the scope beyond 300-600 yards.

Reactions: secondofangle2
    IMG_5607.jpeg
    I just did my second one in two weeks this one with the DT2 plus turret for my other gun.

Holy shit you would think it was divine intervention or magic. I dialed down 31MRAD and it landed on 95.5. Inches. It was supposed to land on 95.53.

View attachment 8359858I just did my second one in two weeks this one with the DT2 plus turret for my other gun.

Holy shit you would think it was divine intervention or magic. I dialed down 31MRAD and it landed on 95.5. Inches. It was supposed to land on 95.53.
    That's been my experience with all the SB I have owned