• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tracking tests; how are you setting it up?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I know what the tracking test is and how it works, but was wondering how most here have set it up.

My main problem right now is, without going out and buying some sort of sled or whatever, I have nothing to really 'nail' the scope/rifle down to where my moving the dial wouldn't possibly move the optic thus making the test questionable. I don't think you can just sandbag the rifle because even slight movements will still mess your test up.

What does everyone use that's simple and works? I don't have access to a club with a bench, so this will be in the desert from the ground up.

Secondly, so lets say you do your test and your reticle is missing the 10MIL or 15MIL or whatever mark ever so slightly. Do you simply go to the nearest .1MIL that its off and calculate your actual turret movement from there or is there a way to get super exact with it? Problem would be, how in the hell would I mark where the reticle is on a board 100y away, when I have to get up from the scope/gun to go to the board?

I purchased some cheap scope rings and base. I mounted the base to a large piece of wood (cutting board) and installed the scope rings. I put tape in the rings to protect the scope and clamped it to a work bench facing out to the yard. Had a large board with markings at every mil, leveled with a plumb string at 100 yards. I tested the elevation and windage and it never moved.

Wasnt Killswitches test rig just a piece of railroad tie with a picatinny rail attached to it or something? I would just find a large heavy object that would resist movement and tap it for a rail (or just glue one to it) and then throw your ringed scope on it.

Edit: it was I beam but also tapped for adjustable feet, that would allow you to dial out any of the slightly off initial error. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i626.photobucket.com\/albums\/tt345\/ddearinger\/D892995D-1341-4066-BE9A-081C45D61E04.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Throw it down in the sand in the desert so that it isnt floating on the soft stuff up top and go from there. I bet you could gorrila glue a rail to the top of a cinder block and it would accomplish a good enough job as well when nestled down pat. Just something with the mass to overcome a turrets resistance.

Last edited:
    I do it by shooting. I use one point of aim and dial my turrets and shoot and measure the group's distance from point of aim. It's not as good as a ladder test, but I find it to be fairly reliable, especially if I repeat the test more than once and have duplicate results.

I do it by shooting. I use one point of aim and dial my turrets and shoot and measure the group's distance from point of aim. It's not as good as a ladder test, but I find it to be fairly reliable, especially if I repeat the test more than once and have duplicate results.

You can do it by the shooting method as well but thats not related to ladder testing at all aside from the fact that youre shooting at a board and is compounded by your groups not being exact to the point of aim.

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/TallTarget.pdf

Last edited:
    I purchased some cheap scope rings and base. I mounted the base to a large piece of wood (cutting board) and installed the scope rings. I put tape in the rings to protect the scope and clamped it to a work bench facing out to the yard. Had a large board with markings at every mil, leveled with a plumb string at 100 yards. I tested the elevation and windage and it never moved.

Ah ha! This may work.

I have a Stiller rail I've never used and can mount it to a 4x4. Then mount/clamp the 4x4 to a cinderblock or something big and heavy that can sit on the ground and take considerable force to move.

Here's the original....way back in 2013. The hole in the middle is for running a ratchet strap thru and securing it to a shooting bench.

Attachments

• photo57126.jpg
      photo57126.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 27