• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tract Toric or Athlon Eres

bobby1028

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2023
ny
Looking to move up out of Vortex/Arken optics on my new CZ457 build, interested in the Tract Toric 4.5x30x56 and the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5x30x56. Both in the similar budget range, both get resounding reviews...but reviews are just that, partial reviews. Any one have any PRS 22 experience with either...if not other optics in the price range to consider.

Reactions: Heebhammer56
I have three Athlon optics including the Ares I can’t recommend them highly enough. I have two top ten finishes and top 5 finish so far for the 23’ PRS rimfire series using Athlon glass.

Warranty is no questions asked and top notch customer service (I’ve had to send back my Midas for minor repairs). Their presence and support of the competition community is outstanding as well.

I have the Athlon Talos 4-14-44
The Athlon Midas TAC 6-24-50
The Athlon Ares 4.5-30-56

Optics planet is having a great sale on them right now I believe. I know they are a drop ship site but, I’ve had great luck with them.

I have three Athlon optics including the Ares I can’t recommend them highly enough. I have two top ten finishes and top 5 finish so far for the 23’ PRS rimfire series using Athlon glass.

Warranty is no questions asked and top notch customer service (I’ve had to send back my Midas for minor repairs). Their presence and support of the competition community is outstanding as well.

Optics planet is having a great sale on them right now I believe. I know they are a drop ship site but, I’ve had great luck with them.
Real world experience, thanks for the insight...

Never a huge Burris fan, kinda like Vortex...until you move up to serious money they're mediocre, too much advertising $$$ built in, not enough glass.
a strike eagle hasn't held me back from winning a bunch of PRS rimfire matches. if we're going there

i would certainly take a xtr3 over an ares etr. they used to be good in that price range but that was 3-4 years ago. i'd probably go midas tac 5-25 and save some money if i was going athlon

the XTR Pro isn't too far above your price range. steiner t6 too
bushnell has several options that can be had cheap if you like the reticles

i'd be calling Scott Liberty Optics or Doug at Cameraland

Reactions: T.J.
I see where you’re coming from here but, the XTR3 is 1400 on a good day.

For sub 1k you could get an Ares 4.5x30x56 compared to the xtr 5.5x30. The ares has UHD glass,argon purging, XPL coatings etc and a lifetime warranty. For $1600 right now you could get the Athlon Cronus I’d take that if I’m spending 1300 on a Burris xtr3.

Is the Burris that much better? I have very little experience with them

a strike eagle hasn't held me back from winning a bunch of PRS rimfire matches. if we're going there

i would certainly take a xtr3 over an ares etr. they used to be good in that price range but that was 3-4 years ago. i'd probably go midas tac 5-25 and save some money if i was going athlon

the XTR Pro isn't too far above your price range. steiner t6 too
bushnell has several options that can be had cheap if you like the reticles

i'd be calling Scott Liberty Optics or Doug at Cameraland
Strike Eagle certainly won't hold you back, same can be said for my EP5, it's been fantastic price notwithstanding. Just looking to move up in glass quality...all the Vortex I've shot or looked thru don't impress me glass wise until you get to the Razor. Budget is 1300/1700max...

I see where you’re coming from here but, the XTR3 is 1400 on a good day.

For sub 1k you could get an Ares 4.5x30x56 compared to the xtr 5.5x30. The ares has UHD glass,argon purging, XPL coatings etc and a lifetime warranty. For $1600 right now you could get the Athlon Cronus I’d take that if I’m spending 1300 on a Burris xtr3.

Is the Burris that much better? I have very little experience with them
the XTR3 is $1300 any day. brand new.

UHD, argon, XPL doesn't really mean anything. it's words. and a sales pitch.

the athlon designs are old. outdated. they had a prime. when they were release and undercut the razor gen 2 when there really wasnt much of a market $1200-$1600. but that's changed quite a bit. almost no one recommends those athlon anymore. they had a price point upon release. but they arent worth that any more. same way a razor gen 2 isn't worth $2k when a gen 3 can be had for sub $2500.

optics move pretty fast. 4-6 year generations are pretty big leaps forward for most companies.

Strike Eagle certainly won't hold you back, same can be said for my EP5, it's been fantastic price notwithstanding. Just looking to move up in glass quality...all the Vortex I've shot or looked thru don't impress me glass wise until you get to the Razor. Budget is 1300/1700max...
$200 more gets you into XTR Pro which, depending on the user, approaches the Gen 3 and Zeiss S3.

there really isnt anything between a strike eagle and a gen 3...besides the gen 2

i'd personally wait a bit and get into XTR Pro/Gen3/S3 range versus a middle ground athlon/tract/even XTR3

ditch a current scope and you're there

the XTR3 is $1300 any day. brand new.

UHD, argon, XPL doesn't really mean anything. it's words. and a sales pitch.

the athlon designs are old. outdated. they had a prime. when they were release and undercut the razor gen 2 when there really wasnt much of a market $1200-$1600. but that's changed quite a bit. almost no one recommends those athlon anymore. they had a price point upon release. but they arent worth that any more. same way a razor gen 2 isn't worth $2k when a gen 3 can be had for sub $2500.

optics move pretty fast. 4-6 year generations are pretty big leaps forward for most companies.
Well shit. Wish I would have found this forum two years ago. I’ll say I’ve been really happy with the Athlons myself but, i see your point that tech moves fast.

Reactions: b6graham
This might help??

If you don't need illume go for the Midas TAC 5-25x56.
I could be wrong but to me the glass is the same or so close to the same between the ETR line and the TAC line that I can't see a difference.
Of course you get 5x more magnification, illume, etc, in the ETR line.

I sold my ETR 4.5-30x56 but it was mostly because I didn't like the older reticle.

I went to the Cronus G2 4.5-29x56 instead and have two of them but I also have a Midas TAC 5-25x56. APRS6 reticles in all three. Very happy with how my scope situation turned out.

Without spending a ton the only scope I would consider upgrading to is the Vortex G3 6-36. It checks all the boxes for me. Honestly I'm a Athlon fan for many reasons but Vortex sure did a great job on this one.

Reactions: st1650
I've got several Athlons and I've been very happy.
I'd go for the Ares ETR, it's been great to me. I recently put a Helos BTR GEN 2 6-24 on another rifle and it's great also if you wanna save a few bucks. I'm not a fan of the locking turret but what ever I just leave it up.

I ran the Tract Toric ELR in a couple matches and really liked it. Glass was very good and the reticle is great for holds. The knob does get tall when unlocking it but the clicks are excellent. All in all it's a very good optic and I would take it all day over an Athlon especially an Ares. It's more inline with a Cronus. Below is a pic of it on my Vudoo for size.

329517849_708699194177151_4268253337465219010_n.jpg

Reactions: T.J. and Lesptr
I have the Helos G2 6-24x56 on my Anschutz 22rf which worked good enough for me to break our XFT course record 2 months ago with a 47/48.
I like that scope a lot! The glass isn't up to the TAC's but the scope functions well. I use the illume in our night matches which got me the hits I needed to get the top score in it as well.
I've had the turrets move in the drag bag while transporting it to stages with other scopes before so I lock the windage turret.
Great scope.

I have the TT 4-20x50 and the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and have used them for the past 3 years in comps and training classes. I purchased them myself and have I have no affiliations or sponsorships.

TT pros: nice turrets, built like a tank, zero stop is easier to adjust and set
Athlon pros: burnt bronze color option, great reticle, offers mil/LEO discount, fantastic glass for the money

TT cons: heavy, tight eye box, glass quality average for price point, center dot is too small at ~8x
Athlon cons: anodizing not as robust as the TT, the zero stop grub screw broke/stripped but Athlon quickly sent a replacement

Side by side, with equal mag settings at distance and in the shadows, the Athlon was superior with better color reproduction, image resolution, contrast clarity. Shot out steel hidden in the shade were much easier to pick out from the brush with the Athlon, not only to my eyes but also to my shooting partner. We tested the TT and the Athlon along side my friend's Leupold 5 series scope.

If only grading in terms of optical quality, we agreed that the Leupold scores 9/10, Athlon 8.5/10, and TT 8/10.

Also a personal preference thing, but the TT center dot is too small and glass not clear enough to discern shot out small steel targets when at 8x. I like the wider field of view and don't dial much above 12x for NRL22 and PRS rimfire matches, so I found myself using the illum to get the dot to stand out on the TT. The Athlon center dot at 8x is clear and easy to acquire, with and without illum.

Hope that helps. Everyone's vision and optics preferences will be different, so take it with a grain of salt.
Best to get scopes side by side and test it with your own set of eyes.

Ymmv and happy shooting.

Last edited:
Never a huge Burris fan, kinda like Vortex...until you move up to serious money they're mediocre, too much advertising $$$ built in, not enough glass.
You obviously haven't looked through the XTRIII's. I have a Midas Tac, Ares, and a couple Cronus. I like all of them, I also have a 3-18 and 5-30 XTRIII. The Burris cost less than the Cronus these days, glass is as good or better, FOV is better on the Burris. Of the two choices posted I'd get the Athlon, but with the price of the XTRIII I'd get one of those these days.

Last edited:
You obviously haven't looked through the XTRIII's. I have a Midas Tac, Ares, and a couple Cronus. I like all of them, I also have a 3-18 and 5-30 XTRIII. The Burris cost less than the Cronus these days, glass is as good or better, FOV is better on the Burris. Of the two choices posted I'd get the Athlon, but with the price of the XTRIII I'd get one of those these days.
True I haven't, a Gen 1 XTR is the only Burris I've looked thru Now that the pro is out the XTR3's can be had for a good price, and unlike the Tract I can walk into Cameraland and look thru one in person. Have to take this into consideration and go take a look, thanks...

True I haven't, a Gen 1 XTR is the only Burris I've looked thru Now that the pro is out the XTR3's can be had for a good price, and unlike the Tract I can walk into Cameraland and look thru one in person. Have to take this into consideration and go take a look, thanks...

I also had an XTR II, tracked well but the glass wasn't as good as I would have liked. The XTRIII's have much better glass.

I have never looked through a Tract so I can't help with the OP. Since this thread seems to have gotten hijacked to a XTRIII vs Athlon Ares ETR, I can weigh in on this. I run the ETR on my NRL22 rig and it, by no means, hold me back. Great FOV, clear glass, seems to handle mirage better than some competators' glass. I have a Steiner T6Xi on my PRS rig (Burris XTRIII's expensive big brother). I also have an XTRIII (5-30) on a 300 PRC. If I spent some time really picking the glass apart, on each of these I could probably come up with which one is optically better, but I am in the camp that you'll never miss / make a shot due to the glass quality differences between any of these optics.
Biggest thing here is that Athlon and Tract's reticles are very simplistic. That's not to say that they are "good" or "bad"...just different. If their reticles work for you than go with them. I, personally, really like the SCR2 Mil that comes in the Burris / Steiners for PRS related hold-overs. The arrangement of the 0.2 mil hold-overs is just more intuitive for me than the 1 MOA markings on the APLR2, for some reason. Some might call the SCR2 Mil too thin or too busy / complicated, but to each their own.

Go with the RETICLE that serves you best rather than splitting hairs over whose glass is better.

Have two of the original midas tac 6-24 that are absolutely amazing. Athlon is the best hidden secret among shooting sports as fast.as quality to price ratio. U will not be disappointed with and athlon

I have a midas tac, an ares 2.5-15, and a couple cronus, all are mil scopes, I have a cronus on my Bergara B14r for matches. I really like them, especially the reticles. I also have a burris 3-18 and 5-30. I'd say it is a toss up between the burris and athlon, but at current prices I'd get the Burris 3-18, a little more reach and better FOV.

So many choices...guess that's not a bad thing. Thanks for all the input. Like the reviews on the Tract but can't walk into Cameraland and look thru it first. No rush, the EP5 is working well on the CZ...looking to upgrade the glass without losing the mechanics, which are remarkable on the Arken, price notwithstanding.

There is a Dark Lord of Optics YT video where he reviewed the Athlon Ares and he felt that it has the pinnacle of Chinese manufactured scopes and compared it very favorably to the Athlon Chronos (which is likely made in the same Light Optical Works factory in Japan as the Tract Toric).

Short version, go with the one with the features more relevant to your shooting discipline or even simpler, go with the reticle you like better.

Happy shooting, YMMV

Personally, if the price were close, I would ALWAYS opt for made in Japan.
The tract is Japanese while the ares is chinese.
I have a Cronus BTR gen 2 4.5-29.
It is NOT my favorite scope.
Eye box is extremely tight and it is difficult to get behind.
However, just because the tract is made in the same facility, doesn't mean they are the same. The glass is quite different between the two.
I also have a midas hmr 2.5-15. I really like that scope, except for the fact it is moa. It is a Chinese made scope. Athlon does a good job with their Chinese scopes.

So many choices...guess that's not a bad thing. Thanks for all the input. Like the reviews on the Tract but can't walk into Cameraland and look thru it first. No rush, the EP5 is working well on the CZ...looking to upgrade the glass without losing the mechanics, which are remarkable on the Arken, price notwithstanding.

You able to get LE/Mil/Vet/First responder discounts on Expertvoice or the like?

Conversation with Athlon tech last month, Midas tac 5-25x56 is same glass as Ares gen 2,
Ares has bigger turrents and Ir. add $400-$500 to get that.I mostly use NF and Sightron on my centerfire handgun herd.Arken elp5 on CZ457,Midas 5-25 on B14r here.For two years,my Helos has held up on my cz457 6 stage 22lr matches 50m-400m,on SP's, 6.5 CM,7wsm and now 28 nosler,all 17".Athlon,marry the Arken elp5 turrents to the Midas Tac please.