• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trade a SFP Nightforce for a FFP SWFA SS?

predator hunter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2013
Central SD
I have a Nightforce 3-15x50 NXS that I took in on trade for a rifle. I like the scope, but it has MOA turrets and the NPR2 reticle and I would prefer to keep all of my scopes Mil/Mil. I am thinking of what to get to replace it, if I bought a SWFA SS 5-20x50, will I be disappointed? I definitely like all the features of the SWFA, mil/mil, illuminated reticle, FFP, and I have read some threads on here of guys that really like them, just wondering how they compare to Nightforce? Another option would be to sell the Nightforce and buy a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP and have some cash left over. Thanks for the input!

3-15 vs. 5-20... yes
NXS glass vs. HD glass... yes
Mil-Quad vs. NPR2... yes
Overall... absofreakinlutely.

DK

The only thing you will be disappointed about the SWFA is the reticle. Its pretty thick, but it does work well once you learn how to use it. That said, I would not trade my 5-20 SS for a SFP MOA/MOA Nightforce. Do look very very hard at the Vortex PST though. Fantastic scope, and even better reticle. If you can save a little more get the Razor. The Razor is to the PST as your NXS is to the new BEAST.

... Another option would be to sell the Nightforce and buy a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP and have some cash left over...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like this one, the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24 FFP with G2DMR, the new Zeiss, and there is a third that I can't think off, all can be had new for under $1k. I have the Bushnell but unless you are ranging from the reticle, I might go back to secondary.

I would never pick a PST over either scope. I used to shoot with a SFP NXS and a SS5-20. When I sold both rifles, I opted to keep the SS for my AI because of its user friendly features. (10-mil knobs, higher mag, etc.)

Then after a few months the SS quit holding zero. And it quit tracking. SWFA took care of the problem and replaced the scope free of charge. (great CS)
Needless to say I went out and bought a NF F1 mil spec and am now selling the SS because I couldn't stand the thought of not having the utmost confidence in my gear to perform in any given situation. If I were to explain nightforce riflescopes in one sentence it would look something like this, "They just plain work, no matter what."

In the end, I'm 110% satisfied with the choice I made. Is paying an extra $600 worth it for the peace of mind and loss of 5x on the top end of the magnification scale? Yes. If I wasn't so anal I would have stuck with the brand new swfa. They're still great scopes but after mine went down I needed something more "bombproof." A NF F1 mil spec was that.

P.S. I bought my SWFA second hand and they replaced it no questions asked. Great customer service from them.

Thanks for all the replies. I am still trying to decide but as of now I am leaning toward a SWFA. I spoke to SWFA on the phone today and they seem very helpful.

Give up the 5x on the top end and get a Nightforce F1 mil/mil. It's worth the extra cash and NF CS is just as good if not better than any out there. Plus the scopes are just plain tough and kick ass.