• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Traditional hunting rifle stocks versus

Just over $1000 with a CF stock and grip and magnesium chassis. Aluminum is a bit heavier and a fair bit cheaper. There’s a thread about it over in the Bolt Actions subforum.

For comparison’s sake, I just spent about that on a CF stock with an adjustable cheek, a pic rail, and a couple flush cups, and an AICS-compatible bottom metal. Altogether that’s going to be about 42oz - just shy of a pound heavier.
See that sounds awesome but for that price I'll get a non adjustable AG Composites for about the same weight and take a couple extra ounces building up the comb, and save $400. Then again I am a college student who does have too much extra income so it's from a whole different perspective.

I have a couple eh1's plus all kinds of factory stocks and chassis. I really like the HTG edge on my proof barreled 300wsm. I'll definitely build my next hunting rifle with this stock.
Would love to pick up a htg edge, if only they showed up for the same price as some of the others on the secondary market.

I don't remember what I picked it up for. Probably around $500, it was nib but it has the adjustable cheek.

See that sounds awesome but for that price I'll get a non adjustable AG Composites for about the same weight and take a couple extra ounces building up the comb, and save $400. Then again I am a college student who does have too much extra income so it's from a whole different perspective.

It’s an AG that I went with; adjustability is about $150 extra. It’s the bottom metal, studs, QD fittings, etc that really add up fast.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m really looking forward to getting my AG. It’ll look awesome and should function great.

It’s an AG that I went with; adjustability is about $150 extra. It’s the bottom metal, studs, QD fittings, etc that really add up fast.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m really looking forward to getting my AG. It’ll look awesome and should function great.
Which one did you get? And what was the total price and weight?

Which one did you get? And what was the total price and weight?

I ordered:
  • Chalk Branch ADJ (not on website as of 2 days ago) ($699)
  • Carbon Bronze camo ($50)
  • R700/SA/RH
  • Proof Sendero inlet
  • 4” pic rail ($40)
  • QD socket on each side of the butt ($30)
Total price:$844 and change including shipping. (Correction: $120 for adjustability)

Add in the Hawkins Precision bottom metal for $171 at Altus and you see how quickly it adds up.

I’m guesstimating ~43oz when everything’s set up for hunting, for a total build weight of ~12lb for hunting and ~14lb for range days.

I ordered:
  • Chalk Branch ADJ (not on website as of 2 days ago) ($699)
  • Carbon Bronze camo ($50)
  • R700/SA/RH
  • Proof Sendero inlet
  • 4” pic rail ($40)
  • QD socket on each side of the butt ($30)
Total price:$844 and change including shipping. (Correction: $120 for adjustability)

Add in the Hawkins Precision bottom metal for $171 at Altus and you see how quickly it adds up.

I’m guesstimating ~43oz when everything’s set up for hunting, for a total build weight of ~12lb for hunting and ~14lb for range days.
That's not bad at all! At some point I have to call because I know Alamo precision used a stock from them more in line with an HTG, and i would be curious about the price and weight of that

I had not seen this thread before and now I know I am not the only one to bring up threads that are still inspiring. I don't have anything to prove, I try to make rifles comfortable to myself. Sometimes, they wind up heavier. Granted, like the most recent post said, in so many words, you don't need an 18 pound F-Class ready rifle to go hunting and I would recommend against it. Especially if you are hunting on public land or back country for elk. Both require a lot of walking. As opposed to a shooting competition where you roll your hard shell case from the parking lot to your position in the firing line.

My Windham Weaponry Dissipator M4A3 (5.56) was never meant to hunt with, though I could feral hog hunt and people in my area do that. There is a service that has helicopters and they rent you full auto AR-15s and you hunt hogs in the pastures, from the air. I think you have to bring your own recording of "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones or "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. That one still has the iron sights on it and I like it that way better than any optic for that small a range and rifle.

And I have a Mossberg Patriot .308 Win. I ended up putting that in an MDT LSS Gen 2 chassis and folding stock adapter and SCS adjustable stock. And a 35 oz 5-25X56 scope on it.

And then I have the Mossberg MVP Long Range 308 with the 20 inch medium bull barrel and wooden stock and another big scope and it already has adjustable cheeck. And it is kind of heavy. I have carried it hunting but it was really meant to be a varmint rifle. You set up at the edge of a farm field and pick off woodchucks and it was first chambered in 5.56. Mine is in .308 .

Then I have a Windham Weaponry R16SFST-308 semi-auto (like an AR-10) and a big scope on that and a Magpul PRS Gen III adjustable scope. Probably weighs about 14 pounds - ish, the heaviest that I have. Super accurate. The Patriot, LR-308, and the R16 all have bipods. I always felt you needed them.

Then I changed my mind. My newest and favorite hunting rifle is the TC Center Compass II in .308 Win (my favorite cartridge). Still a heavy scope. I had one of Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 scopes on it but now, I have the Arken SH4 Gen 2 4-416X50 on it. Still about 30 ounces or so for the scope. At the range and public hunting land, I am not getting much past 10x on magnification to get the right clarity. So, now, I get more light and field of view, which I like. Plus a little illumination, which I also like. I also changed recoil pad. They have a cushy one on there but I changed to a Falcon Strike hydraulic. And, to adjust for cheek, I put on a Goda Grip cheek pad. Then added to with craft foam and vet tape that I got from Amazon. Very comfortable and probably around 10 pounds.

Find what is comfortable and works for you. For some guys, the inexpensive Boyd At-One stock is the way to go.