• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
what do yall use? im thinkin about gettin the cuddeback capture/capture IR. seems like it takes really good quality pictures, has fast trigger speed and fast recovery time.

Re: trail cam

i tried setting one up for a guy at the club. it was pretty complex but i did not have the manual. maybe with the manual and some experance it would be ok. i use the moultrie ir60's. they are slow but the pic quality is good. if you use bait or feed they are fine. if you are scouting trails or sign you will have to get your aiming right. the cuttybacks are nice for that. i will see if the guy brought back the manual when i see him again.

I run a Cuddeback (newer version), and they are stupid simple now. Before, you had to have the manual and know what buttons (of the 5 colored one's) did what. Now, there's a dial for each setting/programming, and two bottons to push to change the setting/programming. I just downloaded about 300 pics from last night, and they are great. I recommend this camera.

Chad,
Which cuddeback are you runing? My moultrie IR went down after 3 years, and I'm in the market for a new camera.
CW

ya which cuddeback was it?

this camera will be on a feeder but id like the fast trigger speed in case i want to ever scout an area. i have been seeing some signs of pigs in the area and id like to get them on camera too

I am running the "Capture" model (non IR). I use a 2 gig, SD memory card (not high speed) for the camera. I have 2 memory cards to rotate and swop them out each time I check the camera. I'll get 300 or 400+ pictures, and it won't come close to filling it up. I have it set-up to reset every 30 seconds. It will take a picture very fast. I have some pics with a deer running, and the deer hasn't even made it half way into view.
Here's a few pics from it during the day and night. I just went last night and swopped out the cards. The fence is about 15 yards from the camera. It picks up movement on the fence line and anything closer.

Here's a freaky 17 point I'm seeing right now. I think I'd stick him with an arrow if I see him during bow season.
CDY_0476.jpg

Here's one at night.
CDY_0491.jpg

There's a deer in the back.
CDY_0726.jpg

yeah the diffrent color 5 button cuddyback was what he had. i would be interested in a "simpeler" version. i will check it out. the moultries have worked well for us so far.

Honestly, the next camera I would consider would be the Moultrie. With the 6 volt battery set up and solar panel to charge it, you can not beat that (but it's added expense). And it takes good pictures.

These new Cuddebacks do not drain the batteries like the old one's did, so I do like that.

so yall dont think an IR camera is worth it? ive always been worried about it spooking deer but i have seen a series of pictures taken one after another of a buck standing infront of a camera at night eating and was never spooked by the flash. however this doesn't necessarily mean that no deer will ever be spooked...

I have a Smart Scouter in a field I hunt and its worth every penny. I am 130 miles away from the camera, and I can see what is happening only a few hours after the fact. When I go to the hunting grounds I know what is moving, and when before I even get there. It costs about 15 bucks a month minimum and goes up from there depending on the picture count and resolution. I think my highest bill has been about $23.00. Its worth that in entertainment value alone. Every adjustment you make in front of the camera can be modified on line and downloaded at the next call in. If I want to change the delay between pictures, or time to be awake, all I have to do is modify the setting on the website, and the camera will update itself.

In my case I would spend 40 bucks and 6 hours round trip in fuel just to check the pictures once, or 20 bucks a month to see the pics on line and never leave my desk.

I have two 6 volt batteries and a small solar cell powering the unit. Its good for several months. I also have a 3 LED solar landscape light attached to the post for additional lighting and it really works great for lighting up the black hogs since the feeder is under a tree.

The trigger is great, and resolution is prettty darn good as well. Here are some of my pics from the camera.

The deer dont care about IR. All they see is a red glow, and thats it. It doesnt flash like a camera. The lights simply come on, and the pic is taken.
3788522073_0bd5ffb4da_o.jpg

3788521901_aa9c615c4e_o.jpg

3860778442_c4717588bb_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so yall dont think an IR camera is worth it? ive always been worried about it spooking deer but i have seen a series of pictures taken one after another of a buck standing infront of a camera at night eating and was never spooked by the flash. however this doesn't necessarily mean that no deer will ever be spooked... </div></div>

I've watched deer at my feeder in the dark and seen their reaction to the flash, and they think nothing of it. The IR should be a good camera. I just didn't want to spring for the extra cost.

wait what the heck is smart scouter? i will have to look that up because my ranch is a few hrs away, that might be worth it

smart scouter is waaaay too expensive for me. really interesting concept though.

anybdoy use moultrie's i40? supposed to be a damn good camera for the money and is IR for basically the same money as a cuddeback capture...