• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Trail Cameras

OneLunG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2007
Juneau, Alaska
I'm looking at getting a trail camera. I really want to get an IR model.

Can anyone give me some advice on a good model, and maybe include some pictures you have taken with it?

Thanks!

Re: Trail Cameras

Stealh Cam Rogue IR.... Cabelas for $99.00

will try to post up some pics.

it is a 5 mega pixel, great day color and night B&W pics.

been very happy with battery life, quality of pics, trigger speed, options, ease of use....

taken over 1000 bear and elk pictures now.

here are some of the pics. Camera is 27 feet from bait barrel and about 4.5 feet off the ground.

pict01962.jpg

pict01831.jpg

pict0209.jpg

I run a few different cameras and have a few different models. At the moment I am running two of the Cuddeback Excites, one Cuddeback IR, two Scoutguard 550's and a Bushnell Trophy IR. They are all fairly comparable but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have gotten the Bushnell. I apparently missed the review at http://www.chasingame.com on the Bushnell about the problems with their software and I am having some of the same issues particularly with the night time images that have much movement at all. The Scoutguards have been right there with the Cuddebacks but are probably a half second slower on the trigger speed. That isn't a big deal if it is set up on a food source, water hole, scrape, rub, etc... but it can pose an issue on a trail.

If you want a great camera go get a Reconyx but those boogers are expensive.

To be perfectly honest I think you would be better off buying two or three cheaper cameras than one really good one. As with anything else if you can spread out your resources you will have a better chance of success. I have three pretty good size places really close to home that I hunt so I "need" a few cameras and will probably add a couple more this year just for the heck of it. I'm thinking that the Primos Truth 35 would be a good cheap camera that will fit that sort of need especially considering that I can add two of those for the price of one of the other cameras...

I plan on setting them up along some trails and bedding areas that I know are being used...The problem is, we just don't know at what times, thats what we are hoping to figure out...

I was looking at some of the Moultrie systems, and the Game Managment system sounded pretty cool where you could check the camera remotely, but I've heard its buggy as heck.

What do you think of the Cuddebacks?

I don't use the cellular part but moultrie has been great for pictures and been getting about 6 months on a set of D batteries.
MDGC0003.jpg

MDGC0908.jpg

MDGC0061.jpg

MDGC0144.jpg

MDGC0138.jpg

MDGC1074.jpg

You are one lucky guy Sendero man! My partner and I saw bear all year round but unfortunately we can't hunt bear hear. They would hang around all day waiting for the feeder to go off. As you can imagine, we never saw anything else there.
They need to address the problem hear because they are getting way overpopulated. We have several moultries and have had no regrets with them and they are reasonable and have several types. These are the I-60 which are infrared and have a picture viewer built in. The I-40 is the exact camera but with no viewer. Less than $200 each for them and they have worked great day or night.

Another plus one for the Moultrie. I'm running a I60 and love it. Here is a picture I cropped off of a lager picture taken a couple weeks ago.
deer4.png