• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Train indoors

_newshooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2022
Texas
I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to train indoors. I’d like to get behind my scope and dry fire at small targets if possible. Is there something like this?

My scope can’t parallax down below 20yds.

Is there an eye piece that’ll change FOV or is there a super small target I can print out that’ll look blown up behind the scope like how it’ll look like at a range?

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I knew I saw something like this, and I think this is exactly what I saw.

I use a DFAT and a step ladder in the Rec Room. When it's nice, I'll place a course of fire on the shop and use barricades, tank traps, etc.

With either one some extra lighting such as a portable work light helps a bunch.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m

With either one some extra lighting such as a portable work light helps a bunch.
Thank you for the link as well

Is there any consensus between IDTS and DFAT? DST Precision (DFAT) has no contact information on their site to ask questions, their objective attachment system seems better than IDTS??? I like the banner target system of IDTS more than the DFAT cards. For you rimfire guys, what are you doing for dry fire? I've always understood you can dry fire center fire bolts but you shouldn't dry fire rimfire bolts... does that still hold true?

Not owned the IDTS so can't answer comparison questions. As to dry fire I use plastic yellow drywall anchors. If you are lucky enough to have a Vudoo those are dry fire safe.

Not owned the IDTS so can't answer comparison questions. As to dry fire I use plastic yellow drywall anchors. If you are lucky enough to have a Vudoo those are dry fire safe.
Nah, I have a Bergara B14R, I think I have some 22LR snap caps somewhere

I have been trying to answer this question myself for the last few weeks. From what I could figure having backlight (television/monitor) digital range is superior to the posters as you need strong floodlights on them. Think I’m going to go with dfat and going to get ranges on an old tv. But interested in perspectives of others.

Reactions: Glassaholic
The purpose of dry fire training is to isolate and train shot execution by removing aiming from the equation. Adjust your eyepiece to have a crisp reticle on a wall and use your reticle as your visual reference.

Blue X

Reviving this old thread hoping to get some help. I received my idts and set it up; however it is incredibly blurry and dark at any magnification over 5x (i use an mk5 5-25). I went back back many times and reset the distance; kept the parallax as advised; played with my focus no help…. I am almost giving up here can not pin point where i am missing. Emailed the seller; all i got was “followed the steps”….

Reviving this old thread hoping to get some help. I received my idts and set it up; however it is incredibly blurry and dark at any magnification over 5x (i use an mk5 5-25). I went back back many times and reset the distance; kept the parallax as advised; played with my focus no help…. I am almost giving up here can not pin point where i am missing. Emailed the seller; all i got was “followed the steps”….
So what distance did you start with the target at from the IDTS? Are you using a work light or other lighting aimed at the target?

I don't know what info they ship with the IDTS, just what they list on their FAQ.

FWIW the DFAT came with a instruction sheet that also included the test focal distance and the scope used. Their range is 11-14 feet, mine tested at 12.25 with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 (the kit I ordered it for).
The parallax adjustment will alter the depth of field which is about 6" in the middle range.
The brightness at higher magnification is purely a matter of the lighting you are using, a 60 watt bulb isn't going to cut it.

So what distance did you start with the target at from the IDTS? Are you using a work light or other lighting aimed at the target?

I don't know what info they ship with the IDTS, just what they list on their FAQ.

FWIW the DFAT came with a instruction sheet that also included the test focal distance and the scope used. Their range is 11-14 feet, mine tested at 12.25 with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 (the kit I ordered it for).
The parallax adjustment will alter the depth of field which is about 6" in the middle range.
The brightness at higher magnification is purely a matter of the lighting you are using, a 60 watt bulb isn't going to cut it.
I will try a spot light tomorrow. I was using natural recessed light at home.

I use a desk lamp with my DFAT. Zoom in, set parallax until focused, zoom out to normal match FOV, and start dry firing.

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
Anyone know how to actually get in touch with DST Precision? They have no contact info on their website???