• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trainer

JOrisman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
Omaha, NE
Hello, I am looking at building a trainer rifle and also to shoot some 22 prs style matches with it. I am getting a pdc customs chassis for my 6xc so I’ll be throwing it into a pdc chassis. My choices are as follows savage 93, savage mkii, Ruger 10/22, cz 455. Although I am leaning towards savage for the simple fact they’re a little cheaper, but not sure if the extra couple hundred is worth it in a 22. I am curious also if these style of matches allow 22 wsm or even 17hmr? I need some advice on which rifle is best bang for the money and some direction on what is allowed. Thanks in advance!

They are usually only 22lr, from what I’ve seen. I’m guessing mostly due to the targets used. Looking at the rifles I’ve see in a few of these, I would say I’ve seen more of the 455 from the selections you asked about. They all could be a crap shoot for out of the box accuracy, and al have aftermarket support, but it seems you do more with less with the CZ. My 2 cents.

Reactions: JOrisman
.22 LR only at NRL22 matches. No CZ455s in base class but a moot point since you're building something. Shooting a 10/22 negates building in short-stroking your center-fire through muscle memory.

Last edited:
None of the matches I’ve seen allow anything but 22LR. This is for multiple reasons but damage to steel is a big one. Also ability for anyone to come shoot is another. 22LR is cheaper than anything else.

As for what rifle to use, if you have a specific chassis you want to use then that will dictate which rifles fit into it. Most people with a chassis go with a CZ 455. For the extra $150 you be better off going CZ than a savage. Especially if you’re putting it in a chassis. Anything in a chassis will be in OPEN class for NRL22. The 455 will translate to cycling a bolt rifle in center fire but the stroke on a 455 may cause you to short stroke on your centerfire.
For other local type matches I’m not sure for your area.
I shoot a 10/22 open build and a savage mk2 in PRS style matches. They both work well. My 10/22 has poor accuracy. I hope my new barrel I just installed will make it better.

Another point to this, is go by and see the match and see what others are shooting. At least one will then seen the competition and have a better idea of the accuracy you need. I tried to make a point of that for our local one.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will look into the cz. Maybe I can find a good deal on one or trade for one! I appreciate the help!

Best of luck. They pop up every now and then, and seem to pop up more than the others. You could probably find a base rifle and the upgrades and have what you need quicker.

Here is what I plan on using :) Not sure what class this puts me in.

20180328_184824.jpg

1903A1 Marine Sniper Repro in 22lr. That's a 20x Unertl 1.5" scope, and yes that's a spring.

Class was a joke, since this is 1 of 6 to be made. 100% custom fit with custom made parts to make it function with an M1922 magazine. They are bad ass little rifles. Not really good for NRL22 stuff, unless I has a custom reticle made for the drop and the 5rd mags with non-quick change would hurt.

I have the Savage Mark II that I recently built to use for training. I don't think running my 10/22 would be the same, in fact, it doesn't get pulled out as much as it used to after I really started running long range bolt guns. 200 rounds of .22 off the tripod cycling the bolt and changing targets at different distances gets muscle memory going while I run the bolt . I worry some about building in short stroking as muscle memory, but I train mentally to pull the bolt back for the hard stop. At least my brain will be focused on that. I probably don't do enough shooting all together to build that strong of muscle memory though. It sure was fun to put a couple hundred down range the first time, nailing some poppers at different ranges off a tripod.

Mine shoots really good with Wolf ammo, almost as good with the standard Aguila stuff. It is what it is from the factory, and its fine as is.

I would get the Mark II FV SR if I had to do it over again, cause eventually I will get a suppressor for even more fun. No threads on mine. I also put it into a Boyds tactical stock to mimic my centerfire rifles. The CZ455 in one of the tactical stocks is an out of the box sort of solution to run with too.