• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training ammo that performs similar to Speer Gold Dot 9mm124 gr +P

jacketed_love_point

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2023
Virginia
I was just sighting in a new red dot for my carry pistol and I made my fine-tune adjustments using carry ammo Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P. I was happy with the zero at 15 yards.

I shot a few more with the carry ammo and was satisfied. But when I then switched to American Eagle 124gr, I was significantly off in point-of-aim point-of-impact. And by significantly, I mean about 2-3in at 15 yards.

So my question is if anybody knows of any 9mm that performs similarly to the Gold Dot +P? More generally, is it sufficient to have a lighter bullet but faster velocity to train with?

I would like to have some ammo where I can put in some reps and have a reasonably similar point of impact as I have with my carry ammo.

Thank you!

If the deviation is anything other than straight down, as in weaker ammo, I suspect your trigger control is not ideal.

15 yards is nothing, the ammo itself should impact within 1/2" IMO.

If the deviation is anything other than straight down, as in weaker ammo, I suspect your trigger control is not ideal.

15 yards is nothing, the ammo itself should impact within 1/2" IMO.
The shots are off straight down with the training ammo regularly low. I also agree that it might be due to my own bad habits. I have also never used a red-dot before so the unfamiliarity with this new sight system may be the cause.

But is it possible that the difference in ammo could be a factor in the discrepancy between my point of impact between the two ammo types?

If the recoil is dramatically different, it is possible. If jerking the trigger, usually that is from anticipation with more powerful ammo, so you might be on the right track.

In both my P320's, using training ammo and 124 grain +P Speer gold dot, I never noticed any difference in POI. I would try some other training ammo and see what happens.

I use 124gr gold dot , standard I guess , bought 500rds 4 years ago bulk from sg ammo , and use 124gr blazer brass for practice same poi ,hard to believe power + would make that much difference , might try some 115 fmj just for grins to see if it's close , that's about all you'll find on sale in bulk for practice anyway.

fed syntech, their training ammo, the purple box, is supposed to match their 124 hst loads. but not sure how that compares to gold dot.

How about training with your issued ammo. Most of us have to buy our own ammo. But then we have enough sense not to post this stuff in the bear pit.
Be gone glow shill.
Screenshot_20231006-185613_Gallery.jpg

I use 124gr gold dot , standard I guess , bought 500rds 4 years ago bulk from sg ammo , and use 124gr blazer brass for practice same poi ,hard to believe power + would make that much difference , might try some 115 fmj just for grins to see if it's close , that's about all you'll find on sale in bulk for practice anyway.
This is my procedure as well. Gold Dot 124 standard. 124 Blazer brass. Virtually identical in all aspects of performance.

Edit: Did not see the stats on the poster. It just all gets so tiresome.

How about training with your issued ammo. Most of us have to buy our own ammo. But then we have enough sense not to post this stuff in the bear pit.
Be gone glow shill.
View attachment 8243304

It appears that the fact I just joined so that I could ask a specific question was a bit too much.

I am sorry that this is happening to you. Is everything ok?

If the recoil is dramatically different, it is possible. If jerking the trigger, usually that is from anticipation with more powerful ammo, so you might be on the right track.

In both my P320's, using training ammo and 124 grain +P Speer gold dot, I never noticed any difference in POI. I would try some other training ammo and see what happens.
I just came back from the range and it is most certainly shooter error. I'm using a sig p365 xl and the thing might be too small or I'm not quite adjusted to it. My trigger finger is wrapped pretty far around the trigger so I'm not shooting with the pad of of the index.

But when I took care to break the shot without involving the other 3 amigos, we were on target with both the gold dot and the fmj.

All that means is that I have to train more!

At risk of responding to the OP….

I carry 124gr +P HST. I have found most 115gr FMJ has the same point of impact, for training.

I just came back from the range and it is most certainly shooter error. I'm using a sig p365 xl and the thing might be too small or I'm not quite adjusted to it. My trigger finger is wrapped pretty far around the trigger so I'm not shooting with the pad of of the index.

But when I took care to break the shot without involving the other 3 amigos, we were on target with both the gold dot and the fmj.

All that means is that I have to train more!
You are practicing, not training. Learning from a pro is training. 95% of accuracy is trigger control. I took about a dozen pistol classes, mostly from OpSpec training. Until the classes, I did not have a clue what trigger control was.

When I took my CCW practical test I scored 497/500. It would have been an even 500 but I pulled three shots to the left because I was nervous. The instructor/tester was suspicious of the high score, so at the end he came over and checked my pistol again for a light trigger. I am sure he realized that I was a much better shot than him or anyone else working for him.

99% of the persons on this forum can obtain the exact same performance I did. There is nothing magic about it, just obtain quality professional training. Mostly I learned from Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones, etc. from Operation Specific training. I am sure thousands of their other students shoot just as good as I do, and some better.

Note that for ever live round I shoot, I dry fire 100 doing draw and press outs. Also the bump drill, which is even easier.