• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Training classes near Houston

Looking for a training class near Houston (within reasonable driving distance)

I'm sure there are ones near the DFW area but when I was looking I came across ATX Precision but no classes are currently listed. They are in the Austin area. I plan on taking a Rifles Only course in 2019 when the dates are posted. I'm in Houston as well. Rifles Only is in Kingsville if you didn't know. ~4 hour drive.

Reactions: LC 6.5 Shooter
Not in the Houston area but I thought about K&M as well in Tennessee. It's an 11 hour drive but they offer bunks to sleep on at the facility so you save money on that end instead of booking a hotel. That's doable for me.

3rd or 5th ward after dark if you want combat experience.?

Worked there night shift in the very early 80's. Fun place.

Also looking for a good rifle school near Houston. Thought there was one just outside of Dallas that a fireman ran at his range. Read several posts that stated it was very good.

Would really like to find one pretty much anywhere that is reasonably priced and taught by military snipers.

I'll "third" the motion. I took a 5 day Precision Rifle I and II course at Rifles Only and it was great. Jacob knows his stuff and it was a super learning experience.
Phil G
Did you stay on property or obtained at a hotel room?

Did you stay on property or obtained at a hotel room?
I stayed at a hotel, but the bunkhouse looked great. I had paper work/computer work that I needed to do at night for my job. I figured I would stand a better chance of getting it done without distractions at a hotel.
Phil G

Reactions: 021411
3rd or 5th ward after dark if you want combat experience.?

Worked there night shift in the very early 80's. Fun place.

Also looking for a good rifle school near Houston. Thought there was one just outside of Dallas that a fireman ran at his range. Read several posts that stated it was very good.

Would really like to find one pretty much anywhere that is reasonably priced and taught by military snipers.
Accuracy 1st holds two classes a year at Austin Gun Club. Taught by inactive SpecOp snipers.
Great range...5 lanes, paper at 100 yards, steel at 300 to 1000 yards on every lane. Lane 1 also has steel at 1 mile.

Roberts Precision does classes also. Up here in Spring, shoot PRS out at Navasota at CCC

Agreed. He just worked on my rifle and I talked to him about it. Gonna sign up for one of his classes when he puts out next years schedule then go try a PRS at CCC.

I emailed Rifles Only and asked about the 2 day PR1 classes in 2019. Lisa from RO said that they stopped a lot of the 2 day classes because they wouldn't fill which is unfortunate. I can't take time off right now to spend a week over there. I'm good with a Fri-Sun class though. Speaking of Aaron Roberts, I need to seek his services soon.

Bummer on not many 2 days at RO. Im planning on doing Aaron classes anyways. Much closer to home and just from what little I have talked with him he is down to earth dude and definitely knows his $hit

I like their mission statement....

I have been to classes where the instructors are telling war stories that have nothing to do with the lesson taught.

T.I.G.E.R. Valley Mission Statement
Our goal at Tiger Valley is to supply the best training for the dollar spent. The cost of a class at Tiger Valley is routinely half if not two-thirds of what you would spend at a comparable facility.

High round counts. If you come to Tiger Valley, plan on shooting lots of rounds with little down time. Shooting is a muscle memory activity. You can't master shooting unless you are patterning the action. What you won't get are instructors standing in front of the class telling how good they are. You paid to shoot, not to hear bragging

No waste of ammunition during training. We have one of the only 1000-yard ranges with pit service in civilian hands. We can put 27 shooters on the line with target carriers. This equates to faster and cheaper long-range training. No driving a half-mile to check your target, it's pulled and disked in the pits.

Our goal is no down time. We have bays that are pre-set for specific training needs. When you want to shoot movers, you move to that bay. We have 8 bays set for specific training needs.

Supply the best in target systems. We design target systems for shooter needs. We developed center-mass target systems that are fully clothed. The center of the target has a 4 x 18 inch armored hit plate. This system forces the shooter to focus on center mass shots. We have also developed a shoot back paint ball system. This radio-controlled system mimics stress under fire and forces shooters to use proper cover.

I have a 3 day LE precision rifle class Feb 26-28 that is specifically tailored for LE, will be covering marksmanship, supported positions from tripods and barricades, movers, PID, night shoots with white light and NV, and scenarios each day. I am located in Weatherford, Texas there are several nice hotels in town 10 min from range.

Range features a pistol bay, carbine bay, and 1000 yard range with natural terrain areas for patrolling, stalking, and concealed targets.

I am a former USMC Scout Sniper and 15 years Federal Law Enforcement, I can send you an outline for the course, I have a group coming down from the east coast that requested this class. [email protected] or call 540 834-3864

Also, I am networked with Weatherford College and Texas LE receive TCOLE credit for my courses.

Web site is www.vaportrailtactical.net to get more info on me and classes.

Attachments

• 2009-05-02 16.21.06.jpg
    2009-05-02 16.21.06.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: blcouch
For a first class you can't do better than Rifles Only. I'm a big fan of their doctrine and how they hammer in the fundamentals. More so than most places. Lucky for you, RO is a short trip. Take a PR1&2 class.

Another great option in the area, is Pumps Precision Rifle Training. Chase Stroud is an accomplished PRS and ELR shooter, and is a great instructor. He can do private lessons catered to exactly what you want, and for a decent price.

A great transgression would be to start at RO and get the fundamentals hammered in, and then do "continuing education" with Pumps Precision Rifle Training.

Reactions: Keyrock
^ Unfortunately RO isn’t doing many 2 day classes due to lack of interest which is unfortunate. If I can spend an entire week away from home I’d love to knock everything out.

^ Unfortunately RO isn’t doing many 2 day classes due to lack of interest which is unfortunate. If I can spend an entire week away from home I’d love to knock everything out.

The OP never made a requirement that it had to be a 2 day class. In fact, he said that he "would love to do a 5 day" course above.

For yourself, contact Chase Strouo, AKA "Pump, of Pumps Precision Rifle Training. He is located in Brenham TX, and will do private courses for as little or as long as you want. CCC is one such place he holds private training. Get ahold of him early though, as he's a pretty busy guy these days.

The OP never made a requirement that it had to be a 2 day class. In fact, he said that he "would love to do a 5 day" course above.

For yourself, contact Chase Strouo, AKA "Pump, of Pumps Precision Rifle Training. He is located in Brenham TX, and will do private courses for as little or as long as you want. CCC is one such place he holds private training. Get ahold of him early though, as he's a pretty busy guy these days.
Oh I know. Bunch of folks come across posts like this for whatever training they are looking for be it two days or a week. Good to know anyway.

FYI, anyone interested in a 2 day, Rifles Only has one scheduled March 2/3.

I live near Houston, and we are lucky to have some of the best precision rifle trainers in our back yard. Very local is Aaron Roberts, who is one of the best instructors and shooters that I know, plus he can build you one hell of an accurate and reliable rifle. His ginsmithing is the best that I've seen. He's also an experienced PRS shooter with multiple top 5 finishes. He runs his courses at a well equipped private range near Anderson, where you can shoot from 5 yards to 1000 plus, with a shoothouse, barricades, props, and good quality steel targets just about anywhere you want it. His background is second to none, and I wouldn't do it justice by writing anything, so take a look here:

http://rprifles.com/default.aspx?MenuItemID=150&MenuGroup=RobertsPrecisionRifles+Menu

I've trained with Aaron quite a bit, and a better guy, gunsmith, instructor, and shooter you'll not find.

I'd also make sure to make the drive down to Jacob and Lisa at Rifles Only. Jacob was put on this earth to do what he does, and he's worth every penny. Very highly recommended both in terms of training and facilities. Jacob and Lisa are just great people, and we are lucky to have them in Texas and on our side.

Good luck!

Aaron is a stand up guy. I went there a few years ago to discuss a build. I probably spent an hour at the shop just shooting the breeze. The build got sidetracked but I promised myself the next build I do will go to him. Gotta keep the local and good guys in business.

Agreed. He just worked on my rifle and I talked to him about it. Gonna sign up for one of his classes when he puts out next years schedule then go try a PRS at CCC.

Training is great if you can make it work from a logistic and financial standpoint, but shooting matches can be much more attainable. You can come out and just watch/ spot for free. Talk to people, observe the match flow, etc.

But there’s quite a bit of training value in shooting matches. CCC is good people. Nothing to be nervous over