• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training for WOCS

AJB

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2007
South Florida
Getting my package ready for WOCS. Anyone have any advice that has gone through, or knows what to expect?

I'm 6ft 1in/ 220lbs and 2mi run is at 15:30. I had 2 bulging disks that I have been burning the weight off from the steroids and forced inactivity, and am now recovered from.

Re: Training for WOCS

Is this Army WOCS for flight school? Have you taken an Army PT test to see where you are at?

Yeah, I am trying to leave the Air Force for 153A. I took the test last week on my own just to gauge myself and passed (but could be better). I am coming from a branch that really doesn't PT other than testing. Just trying to figure out how the Army is as far as physical training in a school environment such as WOCS.

Doing the pushup and situp to Army standards is key for them to be counted, and your run is a bit slow. How old are you? That's going to be a factor in what age group you're scored.

It takes a little while to get pushup and situp form, but so long as you know what the graders are looking for, you won't get docked points. If you're going into a school environment, BE IN THE BEST SHAPE YOU CAN! The reason is that you're always being evaluated, and you do not want to "that guy" who has trouble with his PT test. I've seen dudes who have had awesome slots in Army schools get dropped because they *thought* they were in shape but weren't. Don't be that guy.

Good luck for WOCS. It's a solid career if you make it through. In fact, I think it's one of the best jobs in the Army these days.

I'm a 153D WOCS is pretty tame. If you can put up with BS, stay awake in class and not kill your peers you will do fine. Just be able to pass the PT test with out much stress and you'll be fine. Flight School on the other hand can be challenging. The hardest part about 153A is the packet and getting accepted. Good luck let me know if you have any questions I have some good friends down there that are IP's I can tell them to go easy on you if you want
grin.gif

that being said you don't want to be the guy who barely squeaks buy on the PT test. It makes you stand out real bad and if there is one rule to a military school it's be the gray man, attention is not your friend.

I just need to up my push-up count and shave my run time. Its just going to be a big transition going from AF to Army.

The packet is just gonna take time. I got the Petersons guide to the AFAST and im doing great on the practice tests. I'm gonna retake the ASVAB just to try to make my score look better. When I took it I was 18 and flew through it without much care. The letters of recommendation is where it will be tricky, that will require me getting those from the Customs guys that are guard or reserve down here in Homestead or someone from SOC SOUTH.

I'll send you a PM if I have any questions.

Yeah the gray man is what im going for. I don't want to be the punk bitch AF guy that sucks at PT.