• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Training in the Greater Las Vegas Area

Paul_H

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 20, 2019
Norwich, CT
I have to be in Las Vegas for a work conference the middle of August and was looking to try and add some training before or after my required time there for work. Since someone else is paying airfare thought it would be worth while to try and set something up if I can. Can anyone recommend a training facility? I'm still very much a beginner so a class that focuses on basics would be ideal?

Thanks,
Paul

I know Frontsight is out there, but I don't know many who've actually gone there for training. Max Ordinate Academy is based out of Vegas, but I think their training classes are in Apple Valley, CA still. I'd check with them before anyone else in that area though.

I go to front Sight once in a while, the Practical rifle class is an AR class, the Marksman class is more of a bolt class. That said, if you are a total newbie you'd likely learn some good stuff. If you've already got some training it might not be worth the time. Oh, and August is hot as balls so they run classes real early and end noonish.

If you are a newer shooter- 100% suggest front sight.

You can buy a certificate for your first class for under $50. Then it's another $50 for a once per year background check (it's a BS fee)

For that, you can take a 4 day class and get formal instruction on shooting safely from the holster and from concealed.

Mind you it is HOT in the desert that time of year...if you are not peeing every other time you shoot, you are not drinking enough.

You cannot get caught up from dehydration.... you have to stay ahead of the curve... it will take 12-34 hours in an AC room to recover from dehydration.... so you will miss a full day

they offer a 2 day and 4 day class... the 2 day is worthless... day 1 you don't shoot much as they are going over
Drawing and reholstering
drills t teach and demonstrate
sight alignment
Sight picture
trigger break
and trigger reset.

Day 2 they also teach malfunction drills/ stoppage clearance drills
Day 3 is when you get to practice slicing the pie, clearing doors and a shoot house or 2.
Day 4 is a lot more shooting and a man on man shoot off....

The offer an extra hour of dry practice before class on days 2-4 so you can go over things that you need help with...
presentation speed
malfunctions- setting them up and clearing them or just more repetitions

it's amazing how many guns work for normal drills... add the stress of shooting against another person- same course of fire and the same time- guns start to malfunction... stress induced malfunctions are too common

you can drive from vegas- it's about 1:10 to the rage outside of Pahrump or about 30 min from Pahrump.

if you like it... then you can buy a second hand life membership for all their classes... those run $100-$200

( even with the life membership, CCW/CHL or LE credentials, you still pay the $50 once per calendar background fee)

Last edited:
Has anyone actually taken a precision rifle course at front sight? I live in Pahrump. I have a friend who is a pistol instructor at their facility, co-worker who is a lifetime member and offered me a membership. I will go take a pistol class after it cools down out here. Just wondering about the precision rifle stuff there though. I want to learn proper technique from the get. Don’t want to relearn from having bad habits from bad instruction, I am sure I will have plenty of that all on my own! Just wondering if it’s worth my time. My buddy is an ex Air Force sniper, just can’t seem to get him out to shoot ever as that was my hope to get some fundamentals through his knowledge. He drills consistently @ 1000-1200 meters on man size steel with a fixed 10 power scope and .308, figured that was pretty darn good enough for training my dumb ass! 1000 would be awesome, I would be happy to get good out to 800 personally. I got a few decent rifles tikka t3x ctr 6.5 creed, rem 700 sps .308, Seekins sp10 .308. Tikka t3x .270, browning x bolt 300wm. Couple decent optics Premier heritage 3-15 power and a Sig tango 3-18 power. Just need the skills to put the goods to use properly, Put that to use on an elk next year hopefully. And a big preemptive thanks again for any help as usual!