• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Training Pistol for Wife & Daughter ...... Airsoft or Pellet?

Sieg

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
After 25 years my wife is motivated to learn and shoot a pistol. My 18 year old daughter as well, though she has some experience and no fear. The wife has a fear of guns even though I've daily carried as long as we've been together.

I want a less lethal yet realistic pistol prior to actual live fire at the range to train them in basic handling skills, dry fire, draw, target acquisition, aiming, and firing.

I'm thinking airsoft or pellet pistol that is a blowback design.

For actual target practice (5-10yds) what are the pros and cons of airsoft vs pellet? Wind deflection is my concern with airsoft.
Regarding power supply Co2 or the less powerful Green Gas?
What guns are out there that best replicate an actual 9mm carry gun?

I'll make target stands and hang reactive metal plates for fire practice and possibly purchase a shot timer to add pressure to the training.

The SIG guns are quite realistic though they appear to suffer from gas leak issues. What brands are the leaders

Fast forward to actually getting them guns..... at this time I'd get them both SIG P365's or similar.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to fast track the process while their desire is high.

Thanks

Just practice with an unloaded real gun. There's no point in buying a practice gun. They're going to get mediocre practice with it for 10 minutes and then it's never going to be used again. If you want to get used to real guns, use real guns. We went through this crap with the girlfriend's .22. She wanted a .22 because it's easy. OK, used it once, never used it again.

Buy a real gun.

DONT buy them a tiny gun. Tiny guns are impossible for noobs to shoot well.

While the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun, having a gun is useless if you can't follow the second rule: hit your target.

Just practice with an unloaded real gun. There's no point in buying a practice gun. They're going to get mediocre practice with it for 10 minutes and then it's never going to be used again. If you want to get used to real guns, use real guns. We went through this crap with the girlfriend's .22. She wanted a .22 because it's easy. OK, used it once, never used it again.

Buy a real gun.
They have plenty of real pistols to choose from when their ready for the range.
9, 38, 357, 40, 44, 45.

They'll get a more than a few hours of practice before any live fire at the range. I've watched too many newbs being taught at the range that were quite uncomfortable and couldn't think straight due to the pressure of being watched by others.

DONT buy them a tiny gun. Tiny guns are impossible for noobs to shoot well.

While the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun, having a gun is useless if you can't follow the second rule: hit your target.
Have you shot a P365? They don't shoot like a tiny gun.

First rule is definitely to have one and be proficient with it..... my wife would never be inconvenienced to carry anything much larger or heavier than the P365. Daughter may step up a notch but not much. They won't dress around carrying a gun like men will.

Getting them comfortable and confident won't happen in a few minutes, neither are wired that way.

Definitely, definitely steer clear of the heavier recoiling cartridges until they have shown proficiency with something lighter (not smaller).

It seems like you have your stuff together and have plenty of resources. As a former range officer though I've seen way too many people change their minds on wanting to carry a gun because what they're shooting isn't enjoyable in the least. It usually results in a husband and wife (b/f and g/f, or parent and child etc...) getting frustrated at each other at the range too.

Finding that unicorn of a pistol that they aren't afraid of and can carry well is quite a task sometimes.

Reactions: Sieg
I always start first time shooters out with a single action 22 revolver. Use shorts if possible. Less snap, less noise too. Keep in mind, a lot of new shooters have a preconceived notion that a handgun recoils like a wild man due to Hollywood. Not all, but some do. A heavy single action mouse fart load will get them accustomed to the whole game. Plus, if they fire then sweep the line afterwards, a SA will not endanger everyone like an auto will.

Work up from there. I never get a new shooter started on a micro 9 or the like. Even if that's what they will eventually carry, it can turn them off early. Work up to a full-size 9 and get them proficient then go from there.

Your idear about a pellet gun may be pretty good. Will definitely improve their basic skills set and not scare them off. The last thing we want to do is scare off a new shooter. Good luck!

For the money, the Sig pellet pistols work very well and have a rather realistic slide cycling and such that gives you a bit of a recoil feel.
The one I have does leak gas if you leave the cylinder in for a long time, so I put a cylinder in, go nail some rats and have fun till empty then toss.

Reactions: Geno C.
Since you are asking pellet or airsoft and not what pistol to start with, I'll tell you what we did recently.

My special needs son is 16 and crazy about guns. The problem is that if he was given one he'd hurt himself or someone else immediately. He has had nerf in every variety but they were never "real enough" (didn't look like mine.)

What I decided on was a gas blow back green gas 6mm airsoft glock. He loves it and shoots it every day. I did have to add a laser so he could see what he was doing as he cannot grasp the concept of front and back sights. Now I know that won't be similar to your situation but here are the take aways.

It matches the feel of my pistol almost exactly. The weight is a bit further back because of the mag but weighted similar enough. My wife shot it reluctantly (as my son wouldn't stop asking her to) and she had a blast, even commenting that she wants one for herself. I could easily see myself setting it up in the living room to shoot from the couch. Lol

I think it's a great idea to use as a training tool. It can be used to teach fundamentals, how to hold it, target acquisition, and the recoil while not as much as a live fire 9mm is more than a trigger click and will help transition to "real" pistols for someone who is scared of guns.

Heads up, they will dent drywall and bounce around so wear safety glasses. I put a cardboard box behind a net target and that stops most of the bbs. And they will shred pop cans if you like reactive targets. My son sure does. Good luck.

This is a hard request!

I agree with others stating don't start off a new shooter with a compact pistol. Sight radius is short, trigger heavy, and it makes them hard to shoot well.

I'd get a full sized single pump pneumatic pellet pistol to start them off with. Many of them are capable of dime sized groups at 10Y. Let them master the fundamentals first and allow them to have fun plinking at reactive targets while at the same time having a paper target at the same distance so they can see exactly where they are hitting or missing. Make it fun and don't put pressure on them.

Don't overwhelm them with holsters, drawing, speed drills, and all that other stuff at first. Safety and fundamentals is all they need to know right now.

I started my wife out with this one. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614. Then went to a 22rf semi pistol. Then the centerfire pistol. In a week of afterwork practice for 20 minutes a day with the air pistol she was hitting 3" plates at 10Y almost every time.

When you get to the firearms they need to know that "follow through" is paramount, otherwise they'll drop the pistol by anticipating fear of recoil and sound of the blast.

I’d at least go .22. Second while the semi auto’s are nice and a better crossover to the bigger semis than the 22 revolvers.

Trying to teach a new shooter to quit snatching the trigger is the hardest thing to pound in their head I think. You cannot will the bullet to the target. Ammo capacity leads to the tendency of oh well I have more.

A single action that’s slow to reload really drives home the idea of I want to hit with what I have so I’m not reloading needlessly. Soon as you had them a semi auto the round count goes up and the hits go down.

practice for my wife and I is done with our carry guns. We have a Ruger MKIV .22 that we take out from time to time for plinking - my wife enjoys doing that every once in a while.

I think either pellet or air soft will work for OP.
One of the biggest things I have noticed when teaching ladies to shoot is the size of the grip vs small hands.
Most ladies really struggle to get and maintain proper grip on many double stack pistols like a Glock 19/17, etc.

See if your wife/ daughter can handle any of the pistols you have, and use that as a guide to choose an air soft/ pellet pistol.

FYI, my favorite trainers for ladies are a S&W 317 22lr. and M&P compact 22lr

I have a spring powered air soft my daughter shoots. I bought it years ago to shoot in the house(don't do that in finished spaces). Its great for teaching gun handling and using open sights. Last weekend she shot a bolt action 22 rifle, knew exactly how to get on target. Good for you on teaching the family.

For the money, the Sig pellet pistols work very well and have a rather realistic slide cycling and such that gives you a bit of a recoil feel.
The one I have does leak gas if you leave the cylinder in for a long time, so I put a cylinder in, go nail some rats and have fun till empty then toss.

That's the trick with CO2. Always remove the cartridge after shooting. Doing this takes pressure off of the gasket/seal and doesn't allow it to compress and then leak.
Leaving the CO2 cartridge in causes the seal to permanently compress. It loses its ability to seal.

airsoft is perfect for training its all muscle memory

This . I purchased an airsoft trainer to supplement my competition training . Same weight , grip and ergo except the trigger . Anything platform that you need to employ proper fundamentals to achieve correct results is ok . Wether you spend just under $300 for a Taurus TX22 or $200 for an airsoft trainer , greengas etc you atill have to put in the work . With airsoft you can ; shoot n your back yard ( if no local ordinances against ) or garage or basement . Make up targets , plates , stages to your hearts desire . And last but not least save ammo costs .
My buddy ,his brother , dad and me used to shoot together all the time . At family barbecues the BB/Pellet guns came out . At one particular BBQ one of the ladies came over to where we had set up soda cans at 20 feet . She started going 9n how we were juvenile and the was no challenge to what we were doing . With a warm smile I handed her a pellet pistol and said give it a try . She would sight , squeeze , miss and let out a hmmph/sigh the equivalent of a tractor trailor stopping with the rush of air and report from the air brakes . After a few misses she handed over the pistol and walked away in astonishment and disappointment . Never dismiss anything out of hand .
Attempt to prove it's worth and incorporate any useable nuggets .

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
X Ring rubber bullets. .38/.44/.45 calibers.

Cheap, reusable, fun, relatively safe. No recoil, best for revolver.

You will need to drill out flash holes, (I notch the rims with a file so they don't ever get used for anything else), hand priming tool, universal de-capping die, primers, a card board box, targets, dowel rods, and some old towels.

For a semi auto, place one round in the magazine, drop slide, aim and fire.
Remove magazine and repeat.

I seat these by hand just above flush in the casing. These are perfect for range pickup brass, especially "NT" (non toxic or clean fire primer) marked brass btw.

They will cut a clean hole in the target and the cardboard at 30ft. Cut 3 "v" notches in the top of the box and hang an old towel over each. Using old thin dish towels, I have seen them penetrate to the last towel. Use in a well ventilated area as normal primer residue is toxic. A garage or basement will work.

I clean the bullets every so often with Armor All.

Last edited:
What I got for exactly the same purpose .
Browning Buckmark replica .177 cal. Feels like the real deal. Maybe a little lighter. Good accuracy. Sportsman’s Guide. $45.00 Break barrel.
9A0C5FE7-4709-410D-841B-3004F9037B66.jpeg

Reactions: Alphatreedog
You may want to Take a look at the Tippmann .22 rifles and pistols.
Exact same setup as AR platform, (it basically is one)
And shoots reliably and accurately. I just placed an order for 3 for training kids and saving money on ammo

Airsoft will help with muscle memory but won't desensitize them to the initial "scare" of shooting. Get them a solid 9mm and good training.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The reason I carry a P365 right now is because I bought their CO2 pistol for my oldest son for Christmas. The seating screw for the co2 stripper the Allen head. I had him write an email to SIG to ask them what he could do to possibly fix it. The responded and apologized for the inconvenience, and sent him a replacement for free. The next week I bought the real thin in the SAS version and love this little pistol! They are almost identical so it would be easy to translation

Right now is a difficult time to go gun shopping.
However, if you can, take them to a gun shop and have them fondle some good carry guns. Find the one that fits their hand the best and is the most comfortable FOR THEM.
Don't insert your opinions on the matter.
Once they have found a gun they like, check online and find a good quality airsoft gun that is identical. They are an excellent training tool that can be used inside the home. They make licensed Glocks, M&P's, H&K's etc...
For example, this is a CZ PO9 airsoft (this is just an example) it will fit my PO9 holster, it has the same controls, it is a blowback pistol, so the slide will function.

I’ve gotten a few of my female relatives and my girlfriend into shooting and none of them had prior experience. Word of advice, don’t go to a indoor range or a crowded outdoor range. That can give a lot of girls and new shooters in general anxiety. Best place I’ve found to take new shooters to is some open land where you can shoot without all the distractions of other shooters around you.

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a SIG M17ASP .177 cal that works with the holsters for my X-Carry. It arrived today and initial impression is good. Finish and weight is very similar to my loaded X-Carry, decent trigger for long mushy travel..... accuracy at 5yds surprised me. The recoil of the blowback slide feels similar to a .22lr pistol.

i-jZPGHVC-X2.jpg

First two 20rd groups at 5yds, R to L.
i-wvVSs3S-X2.jpg

As noted the primary reason is for training the wife and daughter. Wife shot 11rds tonight after some quick grip/trigger/stance coaching, last and only time she's shot a pistol was my .22lr Buckmark 12-15 years ago. She appears to be very motivated to shoot accurately. Can't recall the last time she paid this much attention to what I was telling her. :LOL:
i-89PcjTL-X2.jpg

Red hashes are hers, daughter shot the others earlier.
i-dDm4CrH-X2.jpg

All in all I think this will make a great training platform to transition into centerfire pistol. Not having the pressure of the formal range environment is a major advantage for teaching my wife.

Initial outlay for the pistol, extra mag(s), pellets, and 25 C02 cylinders is just over $220. First C02 cartridge lasted 80rds, last 10 felt a little weak but still on target at 5yds. We ran a total of 140rds through the gun without a hiccup. Ammo expense less than $4.

I have a Comp Pro 2 shot timer in transit, hoping the sensitivity can be adjusted enough to pick up the airgun report. That would be the icing on the cake for efficient backyard self defense training. Teaching them to deal with the additional recoil of 9mm will be easy.

Looking forward to teaching them.

Looks like you took the time at taught her proper fundamentals. Great grip,stance, gun to the eyes, weight forward!! Great job teaching!!

personally I love the bb gun rout , then 22's but what ever keeps you doing activities with your family is a great idea good luck and best wishes .

Buy a real gun.
What? 22 handguns are great fun especially with a silencer.

If your ultimate goal is to enable your wife and daughter to competently use a firearm for self defense, then get a real gun. Getting acquainted with noise and recoil are part of being comfortable with firearms and not let that distract from making accurate shot placements. A 22LR pistol is always handy for plinking and a mild introduction to firearms.
We have plenty of 'real' guns. Being able to get a lot of reps in and coach uninterrupted in the backyard beats dealing with all the typical BS distractions at the range any day. Noise is pretty much my last in concern in a self defense situation. (y)

Reactions: Austan
22rf. Low recoil, cheap ammo, and it won't just end up in a closet it'll get regularly shot.

Who doesnt love a 22rf ?

I taught my girlfriend to shoot rifles by taking her to my backyard with a Pellet rifle. After she learned how to aim and how to safely handle a "firearm" we went to the range with an AR-15 and she started with one round in the magazine for 5-10 shots and then graduated to 3 rounds, 5 rounds, so on up to the full CA 10.