• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training recomendations for 10 meter airgun?

bark-eater

Private
Minuteman
My next job involves being stuck inside a 80ft hanger for 4 months. I'll be traveling to the job, so I decided to pick up low end 10 meter target air rifle to break up the work, drink, sleep routine. Its a daisy 753:

daisy-953-targetpro-new.jpg

I've got a Tasco 2.5x10 mildot scope on the way along with a Mil-dot Master. I've also got a line on an old Palm pilot that I can put "Balistics!" and pocket SSF (Sharpshooter Friend) on. And I've down loaded enough pages to put a data book together.

My question is: If this set up and 80 feet was all you had, how would you practice your precision shooting? Ive got some classic math aversion so I'm looking for exercises to force myself to do the math. thanks, woody

Re: Training recomendations for 10 meter airgun?

Air rifle bullseye is shot at 10M (33ft).
The 10 ring is .020".
Do a trigger job and have a ball.
25yd will be moderately long range for that rifle.

Animal cracker safari
smile.gif

Leave the crumbs, build a hide, kill the vermin that come to eat the crumbs.

Well according to my advanced math skills a 2" army man is about the right scale for a 1000 inch range. Now Ive got to figure out what color the bad guys are in this day and age.

Some air rifles recoil backwards and are hard on traditional scopes.

An air rifle scope may be more durrable.

I think they make air rifle scopes with mil-dots. Just zero it and leave it alone and use the mil-dots for hold-over

Mil-Ranging, then mil holds
smile.gif

Next, shoot a group a X range. Find the AVG to your group sizes and make dots 1/8" larger than the avg size.

Work on offhand, sitting, prone all as sling work.

John

This rifle a single pump pneumatic, and recoiless. I think I should be able to range with the mil-dots. I've got a chrony so I will be able make a chart for drop and clicks. I have no idea how the Moa adjustments will scale from 1000 inches to 1000 yards.

If the best I can do at 1000 inches is 1 inch, then Im shooting a scaled 3.6 moa. So mini bragging rights might be hard to come by.

I'm going to look into reducing the power of the rifle to increase the drop and time of flight. If i drill holes incrementally down the pump cylinder I can gradually reduce the swept volume of the pump cylinder.. Less air = less power. And parts are cheap for these guns.

I wouldn't drill, just figure a way to mechanically limit swept volume (stroke) if possible.

I think the only way to reduce the swept volume is to alter the tube.The other option would be to increase the headspace of the piston and decrease the pressure with the same volume. Im not sure if the piston is adjustable on this gun like it is with the 700 series pistols, If not its a cutting drilling operation. The brown truck should be here today and I'll know more.

I think daisy makes a little steel box (12 x 6 x6) with 4 little swinging targets in it, pick up one of those and mount it on the wall on a half sheet of plywood, about eye level and work on your off-hand shooting, I have a homemade one that has about 4,000 pellets sitting in the bottom of it. I feel that my off-hand shooting has greatly improved, even with centerfires.
Enjoy, SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bark-eater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle a single pump pneumatic, and recoiless. I think I should be able to range with the mil-dots. I've got a chrony so I will be able make a chart for drop and clicks. I have no idea how the Moa adjustments will scale from 1000 inches to 1000 yards.

If the best I can do at 1000 inches is 1 inch, then Im shooting a scaled 3.6 moa. So mini bragging rights might be hard to come by.

I'm going to look into reducing the power of the rifle to increase the drop and time of flight. If i drill holes incrementally down the pump cylinder I can gradually reduce the swept volume of the pump cylinder.. Less air = less power. And parts are cheap for these guns. </div></div>

Why not use heavy pellets to reduce velocity? A 10.5gr Crossman Premier should be going along at 300fps or so.

Steve

I'm defiantly going to try heavier pellets. The reviews I found on line all stated that the gun preferred very light pellets. The reason being that the 953 has a special fast twist barrel. which is counter-intuitive to me. Plenty of fussing and testing to do before trying to "improve" the gun. I've got a box of beeman silver arrows (11.57 grains) that will get tried out. I cant recall which other.177 pellets are on the heavy weight list.

Pointed pellets are generally not considered to be the most accurate. Domes for longer range, wadcutters for shortrange where you want a nice hole in the paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil-Ranging, then mil holds
smile.gif

Next, <span style="color: #FFFF00">shoot a group a X range. Find the AVG to your group sizes and make dots 1/8" larger than the avg size.</span>

Work on offhand, sitting, prone all as sling work.

John </div></div>

It to a little while for this to sink in. Thanks.