• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tranquilizer rifles for livestock

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
My mother in-law called this morning with an odd question. My in-laws operate a 200 head purebred cattle farm. They have some temperamental animals that need meds, but they can't get near them. She called her gun toting son in-law and now I'm asking you guys.

Can I get one of these? How do I get the darts for large animals? How quickly do they act? what kind of range do these things have? Help me out here. It's rare I can look good with the in-laws, but that's another topic.

Thanks.

Re: Tranquilizer rifles for livestock

Tranqs are for vets only as far as I know,

the rifles might be available or at least a makeshift blowgun C02 barell hovever darts and meds are not.

ohh I forgott, cattle as the herd animals they are do not do well being sedated, they tend to run very hard and will suffer from sedation.

I wish you the best of luck.

Chris

You don't have to be a dvm, but the immobilization drugs are highly regulated and you need to be licensed to obtain and posess them. I am certified for wildlife immobilization use, but suspect there are even more regulations for their use on domestic livestock.

You have to accurately know animal weight for dosage and distance for power charge. F*ck either up and you have a carcass on hand. A corral and squeeze chute are much easier.

So it's not the most feasible idea. I got it. Appreciate it guys.

Get a count on how many there are and then get enough sacks of feed to get 'em to a corral or to load 'em into a stock trailer.
Quickest way to a stupid cow's heart is through it's four stomachs.

I've chased enough of those idiots around here lately...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slip them a Roofie. It works for me. </div></div>

talking cows not women......

My dad and I were actually kicking around this idea yesterday for other purposes than cattle, mostly mischief, but here's a link to a company that makes the things.

http://www.daninjectdartguns.com/articles/co2_injection_rifles

As to the meds needed I have no clue and from the rest of the thread it doesn't sound great, but at least here's the delivery system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slip them a Roofie. It works for me. </div></div>

talking cows not women...... </div></div>

Depends what members you're talking about, but that's an interchangable definition.

A local cowboy does it for us when we need it. He has a gun that works with 2 22lr blanks. One to fire the cartridge, and one in the cartridge to fire when it hits the animal (to inject the drug) . He still has to be fairly close though FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slip them a Roofie. It works for me. </div></div>

talking cows not women...... </div></div>

Depends what members you're talking about, but that's an interchangable definition. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more.

3 or 4 ropers on four-wheelers.
Problem solved!

TC

no squeeze-chute? If not, roping is the way. Good luck!

Can you drive them into a corral and then into a squeeze chute?

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Finally I question at SH that I am qualified to answer. Capchur tranq guns, thay can be ordered from Valley Vet supply online. The drug you need to use would be rompum, not for sure on the spelling, depending on the size of the animal, anywhere from .3-.7 cc will do the trick. It will take about 10 minutes to lay one down. Do not exceed 1.5 cc, it could put em down for the count depending on attitude and lbs. I have worked on 6 different places over the last 15 yrs, all primarily show cattle oriented, but with enough mean cows to know what works and what don't. I have seen quite a few cow wrecks and 3-4 ropers on quads would qualify for one. All ropers would have to catch one leg or at least 3 legs and the 4th catch her neck, tie off and set their quads pretty much at the same time. Depending on the breed in question, we could be talking about a 1300-1900 lbs determined and pissed off cow, versus a 600 lb quad, hence all would have to catch her at the same time. What breed is it, is it a more docile breed like Hereford, or something more nutty like a Chi-Angus or Charlois? If you have her roped, have 2 ropers on horseback instead of quads, to stretch her out, it is safer for the guys and the cow. How seriuos is it to catch her? Is the cow in dire need of meds? If not they might try to call and feed the cows in a penned area for a few days until the wary one comes in. Then just shut the gate. All our pastures have feed traps, the cows get just a little feed everyday so they come into the trap to eat. If you need to catch one, you just call em, feed em, and shut the gate. There is also a corral and chute in each feed trap.

Marlin made a dart gun that run on blanks. You had a dial to let more gas push the dart for longer shots. A local farmer has one that he borrows out, or helps people who need it. Said he has shot a couple over 60 yards. Said he never over drugged one. But if chased and the animal is amped up one dart won't do it regardless of the cc's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally I question at SH that I am qualified to answer. Capchur tranq guns, thay can be ordered from Valley Vet supply online. The drug you need to use would be rompum, not for sure on the spelling, depending on the size of the animal, anywhere from .3-.7 cc will do the trick. It will take about 10 minutes to lay one down. Do not exceed 1.5 cc, it could put em down for the count depending on attitude and lbs. I have worked on 6 different places over the last 15 yrs, all primarily show cattle oriented, but with enough mean cows to know what works and what don't. I have seen quite a few cow wrecks and 3-4 ropers on quads would qualify for one. All ropers would have to catch one leg or at least 3 legs and the 4th catch her neck, tie off and set their quads pretty much at the same time. Depending on the breed in question, we could be talking about a 1300-1900 lbs determined and pissed off cow, versus a 600 lb quad, hence all would have to catch her at the same time. What breed is it, is it a more docile breed like Hereford, or something more nutty like a Chi-Angus or Charlois? If you have her roped, have 2 ropers on horseback instead of quads, to stretch her out, it is safer for the guys and the cow. How seriuos is it to catch her? Is the cow in dire need of meds? If not they might try to call and feed the cows in a penned area for a few days until the wary one comes in. Then just shut the gate. All our pastures have feed traps, the cows get just a little feed everyday so they come into the trap to eat. If you need to catch one, you just call em, feed em, and shut the gate. There is also a corral and chute in each feed trap. </div></div>

They run Brahma/Angus. They also have a squeeze chute, and certanly aren't new to cattle farming. From what I'm told these can be a temperamental breed, but their weight gain, and ability to withstand the heat makes them beneficial. I'll find out how dire the cow is. Thanks for the help.

Cap-chur is the best....albeit expensive.....and I speak with experience. There are times when its the only option and also works well for treating sicks in a group without extra handling.

Equipment is NOT vet only....but the drugs are.

That dosage of Rompun (actually Xylazine is the drug, rompun is name brand that is discontinued) is off...regardless of the concentration used.....Did you realize that xylazine comes in 20mg/ml and 100mg/ml concentrations? Guess not. Leave the drugs to the docs.....although those dosages listed will not get you in trouble on adult cattle. Mainly they will laugh at you.

Regardless...cap-chur is my recommendation and I wouldn't be without my dart gun and the PROPER drugs.

Depending on the severity of the illness this might not be a one time treatment!

And i dont know about your inlaws but i personally woudn't try to give a shot of Micotil or Nu-flor to an animal that wasn't totally imobile!(i.e sgueez chute)That shit is damn spendy and it's deadly to humans if you fuck up and inject yourself.

If they have to go with a 2 or three day treatment with something like Bio myacin or LA 200 that would be a real big pain in the ass darting an animal three days in a row.

Brangus cattle can be real ornery but they are better than some. Just be glad they are'nt soliers.(I think i spelled that right?)

This may help out
grin.gif
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5NBVzfrMiM

Good luck!