• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Transferring a rifle

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    I'm getting ready to list a rifle for sale on this forum and have a few questions.

I know if I do a private sale in my state (WY) there is no transfer or background check needed. So if I sell a rifle and need to ship it, do I send it to an FFL, or do I take it to a gun store and have it shipped to an FFL from there?

Also, once it is sent to an FFL, does the buyer fill out a 4473 at that location?

Interstate transfer requires a 4473. Some FFLs will accept shipment from private parties, provided that they provide adequate documentation of ID. Others will not. Find out first, and make sure that you use a common carrier if you ship directly.

By common carrier do you mean FedEx or UPS?

Yeah, exactly that. We don't get the luxury, technically, of using USPS. My regular FFL about had a bird when some guy shipped him a shotgun receiver for transfer to me via the mails.

That would require registration, which isn't done in Colorado where I bought it, or Wyoming.
    On the very rare occasion that I sell something, I always transfer it out, without exception. Hate to burst your bubble, but there is a trail, unless you bought private party and they didn't transfer it to you.

It's all good with out a transfer UNTIL god forbid the firearm gets stolen or the guy you sell it to uses it in a criminal act. Then you local police come knocking on you door.I have sold 4 times to out of my state and I always have shipped to an FFL in the state its going to. All I did was contact the FFL and let them know it was coming and give the buyer a tracking number. If the firearm is not in my possession I want my name off it.

It's all good with out a transfer UNTIL god forbid the firearm gets stolen or the guy you sell it to uses it in a criminal act. Then you local police come knocking on you door.I have sold 4 times to out of my state and I always have shipped to an FFL in the state its going to. All I did was contact the FFL and let them know it was coming and give the buyer a tracking number. If the firearm is not in my possession I want my name off it.

I believe strongly in the concept of stewardship. While my name is on it, I'm responsible for it. I believe just as strongly in taking the lawful and wise approach to disposition of firearms. Anything, short or long, that goes out of state goes through an FFL. Anything long in state doesn't require an FFL, person to person, but I either ask for department photo ID and/or an LTCF and provide my LTCF in return. It's just smart. And anything that is a firearm by definition in this state for purposes of concealed carry licensure goes through an FFL without question.

So what the fuck does a crime by someone else have to do with the fire arm in the first lace, no matter who owned it. You shouldn't have you name on a firearm in the first place so it should be no different than the hardware store owner selling an axe to someone named Lizzy. Its nobodys business at all.

Reactions: Redmanss
    My intention for asking the questions I did is to make sure I follow the law as it pertains to interstate transfers.

Whether I agree with the law is another matter.

Reactions: JimLee
    I hate to burst people's bubbles but "Transferring it out" does not take your name off it.
    Your name is still on it if you bought it new and will always be. If they do need to trace it down, & it's something where they actually decide to follow up the ownership chain, you would still be the first one they contact.

All the "Transferring it out" does is provide you a paper trail so you can prove it was not yours at the time.
    The same can also be done in many free states legally by simply keeping a record of the serial number and information and when it was sold / given and to whom it was sold or given.

In many free states this is not even required, just your reasonable statement, but it's often nice to have a bit of backup paperwork.

Unlike it goes down in TV & Movies, tracing the gun's original owner is not usually that important of a part of many crimes, since most criminals will use stolen / lost guns or guns that are many years away from their original owners. It's usually done, but I'd say the Majority of guns traced down through paperwork never actually lead to the criminal, rather just to the first owner who sold it, got it stolen, gave it away, lost it etc.

Now if the Feds are trying to pin something on you to cover up their own stupidity in letting something big and public go down, sure, they'll be matching up your fingerprints off bullets you sold to somebody and knocking on your door shortly. So if some "terrorist" uses a gun you once were the original purchaser of, expect to have some suit wearing oppressor types show up to grill you.

Reactions: wildcats
    JM.
    There was a decent list of FFLs on here that accept from a private party.
    Mine at the range I use stopped accepting those (which is complete BS and a racket) so now i have to pay whoever I buy from on here to ship from an FFL.
    I get a good discount on the paperwork form them and most if the shops around here have started with that.
    Perhaps check what your FFL up there will charge just in case.

Whatcha selling? Im always interested in buying..... ? Im just down in Denver.

... If they do need to trace it down, & it's something where they actually decide to follow up the ownership chain, you would still be the first one they contact.

Probably more like 4th. Manufacturer, Distributor, Dealer, You.

Per fed law (I don't know anything about your State), you can ship it In State direct to the buyer as long as you don't have reason to believe they're prohibited or not a resident of your State. USPS is fine because it's not a handgun or concealable. No paperwork required per fed law; anything you do in that regard would be going above and beyond, but could be argued it would be wise.

Yeah, exactly that. We don't get the luxury, technically, of using USPS. My regular FFL about had a bird when some guy shipped him a shotgun receiver for transfer to me via the mails.
    Your FFL doesn't know what he's talking about.

Non licensees are 100% authorized by law to mail long guns. Only FFLs are authorized to mail handguns. I use "mail" in the same context used in GCA68.

I can provide references if you'd like.

A receiver may not be mailable through the USPS. It could fall under concealable or not a shotgun if never assembled. I wouldn't mail one through USPS. I do sometimes mail rifles and shotguns through USPS.

Your FFL doesn't know what he's talking about.

Non licensees are 100% authorized by law to mail long guns. Only FFLs are authorized to mail handguns. I use "mail" in the same context used in GCA68.

I can provide references if you'd like.

I just provided the absolute reference one post above yours, Sor María. Normal-length rifles and shotguns are, in fact, permissible. And it was a receiver: as @MtnCreek notes, it could be a case for plausible constructive intent to possess a non-taxed SBS. INAL, and who knows what BATFE might think anyway?

I'm getting ready to list a rifle for sale on this forum and have a few questions.

I know if I do a private sale in my state (WY) there is no transfer or background check needed. So if I sell a rifle and need to ship it, do I send it to an FFL, or do I take it to a gun store and have it shipped to an FFL from there?

Also, once it is sent to an FFL, does the buyer fill out a 4473 at that location?

I use www.shipmygun.com Fill out the form on the web sight and they will email you a FedEx shipping label. Next day air is usually $40 to $80. This includes insurance. Take the package and label to a FedEx terminal and they will put on the shipping label for you. They have a special agreement with FedEx.

FedEx here in Cheyenne won't ship firearms from a non ffl. The manager there is anti gun. She wouldn't ship ammo I brought there either.