• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Transocean DEEPWATER HORIZON RIg on fire

wickedfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
ORANGE BEACH AL.
Here is an awful thing to post pics of, but this is reality for working offshore. 11 were lost to the explosion, and alot more injured. It has sank in 5000' of water off Venice LA. Lets all say a prayer for the families. I wonder if HAITI will send money to help the families.

2cifki0.jpg

9qd44z.jpg

2h4ykvp.jpg

1444qom.jpg

11szc04.jpg

Re: Transocean DEEPWATER HORIZON RIg on fire

Dam. I know we have members here in that profession, I hope they're all safe.

Is that a water spout in the smoke back there?

wow sure is a water spout. this is a horrible deal. Here is a very sad post from one of the guys missing. He was on the drilling deck when it happened supposedly. This was his facebook status just before the explosion:
Ready to go to the house but I am stupid and decided to work over on the stack... One day it will all pay off I just hope my little boy will understand one day... Missin Blaine and Natalie.

Thats sad stuff there. his pic on facebook looks like he is about 22y/o or so

I take it you work for Chuest??? I work inshore myself...and we had a barge blow up yesterday afternoon up river from us.

Thats horrible. Feel for the families of the people lost.
Any plans to retrieve the rig from the ocean? or is that even possible?

I dont know anything about oil rigs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats horrible. Feel for the families of the people lost.
Any plans to retrieve the rig from the ocean? or is that even possible?

I dont know anything about oil rigs! </div></div>

Depending on the size of the rig a salvage company can break it apart under water to retrieve the metal. There is no real way to retrieve that thing whole.

I have a friend who does salvage diving in the gulf for the oil company's. I wonder if he knows anything else...

ETA: Salvage is dependent upon depth of the wreck.

Idk much about underwater salvage but, I do know a lil about diving and unless they got subs to remotely cut it apart and attach straps, I'd say that baby is gone. Where its located is in 5000ft of water. thats almost a mile down. aint no divers goin down. Not saying it can't be retrieved but thats way beyond my knowledge of underwater salvage.

Met up with a friend today that was on that rig, he walked away with a broke finger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I presume you meant Edison Chouest Offshore.

Gotta love that creamsickle paint scheme...
laugh.gif

</div></div>
yes my bad spelling...I have a buddy working for them...dont know if he was out there or not

Trey Warren said:
This was his facebook status just before the explosion:
Ready to go to the house but I am stupid and decided to work over on the stack... One day it will all pay off I just hope my little boy will understand one day... Missin Blaine and Natalie.

Thats sad stuff there. his pic on facebook looks like he is about 22y/o or so [/quote
that is tuff. if you work out there it really gets you thinkin.

anyone hear a route cause yet? i'm not a drilling engineer by any stretch of the imagination but from what i have gathered from my time on the water is the only thing that could have caused this accident was a bop failure. in ultradeep drilling arent the bop's subsurface?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. What is already a terrible human tragedy is about to become an environmental disaster as the 1800+ square mile oil slick nears landfall.

I hate to wish it on anyone, but I hope it goes to the touristy white sand beaches further east than our remote marshes and mangroves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is already a terrible human tragedy is about to become an environmental disaster as the 1800+ square mile oil slick nears landfall.
</div></div>

thats the sad part. cnn is reporting more coverage over the potential environmental impact than they did over then actual accident.

Sounds reminiscent of the Exxon Valdez disaster, and no, I wouldn't wish that on you at all.

Not in the least.

I fortunately don't have access to a tv right now, but would expect nothing less from cnn.

I got a bird's eye look at it today and there certainly is a massive cleanup effort underway (containment booms, skimmers, dispersal agent applicators [both via boat and air], etc.). Unfortunately it has been very windy the past few days which further hampers any cleanup efforts. I saw a lotta whales, dolphins, turtles, and birds today, but nothing in trouble.

Oh and ps: my comment about hoping it landfalls on a sandy tourist beach is purely practical and biological. We can keep people from swimming in it...and clean sand. We can't tell all the rookeries of brown pelicans to pick up their nests or flightless young and move...nor clean the heavily vegetated deltaic wetlands.

North winds are keeping it adrift, but the winds remain problematic for cleanup efforts. The nearly 30k feet of boom that has been deployed isn't doing much, 30k gallons of dispersant has been applied, and the skimmers have recovered a mere 3600 barrels of oil thus far (rig continues to leak ~1k barrels/day). Still no verdict on efforts to activate the BOP, but a relief drilling rig arrived on scene last night and another has been mobilized. If the BOP is successful, the leak could be stopped in a few days. If the relief wells are successful, the leak could be stopped in a few months. Yep, months.

The USCG Rear Adm just spoke of initiating an in situ burn-off.

My hat goes off to those involved in the cleanup. Here's a current map of the slick location. It is now within 20 miles of our marsh.

sheenlocation27th.jpg

15-20 kt SE winds are forecasted for Wed night and into Thur. Rumor has it this has the potential to make the Exxon Valdez seem like a fart in a pillow factory.

Definitely an awe inspiring yet tragic accident.

Brave men to stay on a floating fireball waiting to happen.

Condolences and prayers to the families, what a sad way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bop was on the platform </div></div>

Just clarification...the BOP's on these deep-water floaters are on the sea floor. They have a marine riser that attaches the rig to the stack.

I am a company man for a major oil company here in the Gulf of Mexico and I work on these deep-water MODU's. I can stipulate as to what has happened as can all of you. I have heard conflicting stories of what happened but for the most part one thing will come to light & that is that I am sure that once the investigation is concluded into what caused this incident it will be, more-than-likely, due to human error and it will, more-than-likely be several things that lead up to this not just one thing. The old "Swiss cheese effect"...all the holes lined up.

It was a very tragic incident and it is going to have some wide reaching impact for the oil and gas industry, as a whole, for a long time to come. There are going to be more strict rules and regulations put in place by MMS once it is all said and done. Additionally, this comes at an even more inopportune time since we are trying to expand our drilling projects/activities in Alaska and off of the eastern sea board that the current administration opened up several months back.

My prayers and condolences go out to the families and friends of those that were lost and/or injured. We are all out here just making a living for our families but everyone that works out here knows that this is one of the realities of this job that we face day in and day out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. Rumor has it this has the potential to make the Exxon Valdez seem like a fart in a pillow factory. </div></div>

idk man. maybe in the sense of environmental impact. if you look at the raw numbers this well would have to leak for a long time. the valdez was 11,000,000 barrels. this well is leaking 42,000 gallons or 1,000 barrels per day. if you run the numbers this guy would have to leak for over 30 years to rival to volume of oil spilled.

i got word this morning that we got the call to send guys out to assist with the clean up. i'm sure every spill response company from jay, fl to brownsville got the same call

from what I've heard on a few places, as crazy as it sounds is that they are going to light it off where it is surfacing and let it burn off. I've heard that from several sources. supposed to happen today

just read another report saying they will light it around noon in various places. said that its been approved and that they are going to burn some of it off