• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

WeisGuy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2019
Bismarck. ND
Any other trap shooters here. Been shooting trap for about 6 years now and just started sorting Clay's 2 years ago. Shot a BT-99 grade III for years and just switched to a Citori 725 Pro Trap.

What events is everyone else shooting and what's your scatter gun of choice?

Reactions: Dan M
We had a trap range close to my house about 10 years ago, I sure miss it. I'm a auto fan so I always shot my Benelli M1 Super 90. Never had the coin to shoot a nice gun. Nice profile pic btw.
IMG_2950.JPG

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
i started with an old Remington 1100...loved the sport so much. Then transitioned to a BT-99, then to a BT-100 and finally to a Perazzi over and under.

Tragically the military closed our spectacular facility (Miramar). That pretty much killed it for us here.

Met so many nice people shooting the sport, took a bunch of classes. It was great fun.

Used to for about 30 years. Many, Many State shoot's Fla, Ga, Al, Ms, an Tenn plus the southern grand all the time. Home field was Silver Dollar in Odessa, Fla. A few live bird events along the way as well. Started with a 870, then won a 1100TC then a Browning Broadway, won a few after the Broadway but she was like a knife fork an spoon to me only parted with her 5 years after I stopped shooting reg birds. Still have my ATA cards somewhere an one day will look at the reg bird count an think what I could have have bought with all that money. LOL

I shoot trap often. I currently use a Browning’s Citori 725 Unsingle. Used to have a Citori XT over/under, and I shot one season with a Ljutic Mono gun.

i started with an old Remington 1100...loved the sport so much. Then transitioned to a BT-99, then to a BT-100 and finally to a Perazzi over and under.

Tragically the military closed our spectacular facility (Miramar). That pretty much killed it for us here.

Met so many nice people shooting the sport, took a bunch of classes. It was great fun.

How does that perazzi treat you? My "old guy best friend" and trap mentor shoots a Kolar and his boy shoots a Beretta DT11. Between the two of them I get spoiled with shooting some incredible guns.

No I haven't. Not many others around that shot so I never got to shoot others guns. Stayed true my m1 and thought it was best to not be cheating on her.

Shot sporting clays weekly for about five years for fun and competition, shot some bunker trap as well last year. Taking some time off from clays shooting. Shot a few different guns but settled on a K80 five years ago.

870; I shoot at a local club just for fun. I think they are cheating on me. When I watch everybody yell pull seems like their clay is going relatively slow. When I'm looking down the barrel and yell the thing is flying like a bat out of hell. Several rounds of trap 12 gauge gets you used to recoil. Why I'm not too emphatic when it comes to brakes and people crying about recoil :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot trap your about 13 years, burnt out shooting, running the shoots, maintain. Traps. Switched to skeet 20 years ago. 20 years consecutive world shoots attendance. New to long range rifle game , approx 2 years. Shoot a Krieghoff K80 with subgage tubes for skeet. Skeet two days a week and rifle two days also.

Shot trap your about 13 years, burnt out shooting, running the shoots, maintain. Traps. Switched to skeet 20 years ago. 20 years consecutive world shoots attendance. New to long range rifle game , approx 2 years. Shoot a Krieghoff K80 with subgage tubes for skeet. Skeet two days a week and rifle two days also.

A guy at the club shoots a Krieghoff, and I'd sure be lying if I said I wasnt a bit envious.

I shot trap and skeet growing up, Browning BT99 then a 100 and a Beretta DT. Last couple years I have been shooting sporting clays. I bought a Blaser F3 last year and love it.

i love the over and under, just feels right and enjoy the manipulation of the action. Has that nice bank vault feel when you close the gun. The Perazzi (MX2000) had a custom stock so it fit me well and looked so pretty.

My better half had a MX-3 Special that was particularly comfortable to handle.

That K-80 sure looks gorgeous. There was a great shooter at our club that shot a KX-5 if i recall...It was amazing to watch him dust clays.

I took a class by the late Leo Harrison, a giant of a man and an amazing shooter. I recall how he (with permission) took a shortened shotgun off the rack from one of the petite women in the class, shouldered it and dusted a bunch of targets. It was absolutely incredible.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I have shot a little trap and liked it. We have a local range here and I plan on starting up again. Will probably shoot a Beretta 390.
The most fun I have had with a shotgun shooting at stuff is paddling around in a canoe and trying to shoot the mullet that jump out of the water. It is quite enjoyable and tests your reflexes. If you use a tight choke you get a bunch of fish left too.

Reactions: thejeep
Me and a friend use to shoot a lot of trap, when I say alot I mean we would but shot by the ton. We mostly shot Annie Oakley I shot a Winchester 101 live pigeon gun for years until the rib came off, then I found a 101 trap combo. I loved that gun it seemed like if it was pointed anywhere near a clay it broke. I sold it and bought a Berreta but we have not shot for the last 15 years. It seemed like people just quite shooting, we used to go to a shoot every weekend and we shot 400 to 500 shells a week.

Leo was a friend of mine and has been to my home we enjoyed many conversations together, he also loved fishing and hunting. Leo's old pal and fellow all american Brad Dysinger lives in the area as well, I miss the times and "discussions" we had. Leo was the best in my opinion. Just like rifle shooters we collect a lot of guns over the years. Here's my first K-80:

i-dzPS3fb-M.jpg

beautiful shotgun

Yes, Leo was a fine gentleman. I learned so much from him. I loved the way he owned the shotgun, it became an extension of himself not a distinct entity....and to watch him dust doubles was just unbelievable. they seemed to disappear in a cloud right in front of you, so fast, so perfect.

Reactions: Badfinger
Shot trap for decades using a Citori Plus O/U.
Tried a 99, but it was so lite, I had to add a lot of weight to keep me from whipping it around.
It looked like crap with all of the weight added to the barrel, So I sold it and bought an XS 28ga and shoot more sporting clays and five stand now.
I break out the X full choke and shoot trap with the 28ga a couple of times a year, just to show the 12ga dudes that you don't need all that noise to break a clay.
SJC

I shot trap for years, (several years ago) some skeet, sporting clays and a little live pigeon. While in high school, a friend and I started and ran a very small trap range. I started with my trusty Winchester 59, then some Model 12's, Beretta 303's, Win 100 O/U, Beretta 682X Combo and finally back to Beretta 303's. My favorite was the 682X, sorry I sold it. I recently shot a few rounds of sporting clays for the first time in forty-plus years, and really enjoyed it.

Leo was truly a gentleman. He competed with the best and often won. The difference I noticed was that he did not travel with a squad and shoot on selected traps at selected times. He would shoot with any bunch of kids, ladies, experts, beginners etc. I saw him more than once shoot 100 straight and walk over to some young kid and congratulate him on a 25 straight on that trap. Just a class guy.

Leo, Gene Sears, Bill Jacobson an many others were class acts in the shooting sports. The brothers from Ill were a hoot at times as was Dan Bonillas. The one that taught me was Normal Hilton, (yes that one) from Skyway Trap an Skeet in St Pete Fla, back in the early to mid 70's. She was a class act,... except outside of the club, LOL

a used 3901RL model is a good starter.
depending on his size
browning BPS micro ?

Leo, Gene Sears, Bill Jacobson an many others were class acts in the shooting sports. The brothers from Ill were a hoot at times as was Dan Bonillas. The one that taught me was Normal Hilton, (yes that one) from Skyway Trap an Skeet in St Pete Fla, back in the early to mid 70's. She was a class act,... except outside of the club, LOL
Gene is who we bought all of our reloading supplies from one hell of a nice guy

I shot registered trap as a kid but haven't shot much since then. I shot like shit when I went a few times with my dad the last couple years and said fuck it. I sold my bt99 last year to fund a suppressor. I used to enjoy watching Leo shoot, the man had a gift. He made it look so damn easy when he was on the line.

I shot trap years ago. I still have my Beretta S58 trap, wonderful o/u. Not a Perazzi though. I also had an A303 trap.

Trap hates me, the clays' move the millisecond I pull the trigger. Skeet tolerates me, a good day is busting 20+ a couple of times an evening, still just love the feel of a nice O/U. Kind of like shooting a good Garand.

Always wanted to go to Vandalia, sorry i didn't go when i had the chance.
Thanks for reminding me of Dan Bonillas, i took a class from him as well. Very funny and talented guy.

Man i miss Trapshooting

Many dreams were broke an made on that dirt. The adage it's only a one bird race, over an over, was enforced to the max there many times over.

I always laughed at the guys that sandbagged all year in hope of going there on the 20 or 21 yard line and winning big.

It was an amazing place, wouldn’t be great to see PRS grow to that size.

GrandAerial0000-XL.jpg

Was shooting the state shoot at Silver dollar one year w/o the wife tagging along, an hotties were all over the place. Long short, they were hired to run interference on a few guys that were bid off in the Calcutta. Seems one of the old guys with money an major money on a buy the night before, remembered how a young mans brain works. That WILL add distractions to ones shooting ability,.... always know an remember the basic rule,... it's but a long,... one bird race. LOL

Any other trap shooters here. Been shooting trap for about 6 years now and just started sorting Clay's 2 years ago. Shot a BT-99 grade III for years and just switched to a Citori 725 Pro Trap.

What events is everyone else shooting and what's your scatter gun of choice?

Shooting sporting clays for 18 years ... own 3 krieghoffs ... shoot every weekend 200-300 rnds

Shot trap for years, but haven't in the last 25. Started out with a BC Miroku Charles Daly (same as Win 101), had it pro-ported and forcing cones lengthened, then moved up to a Beretta 682X un-single combo that I still have.
Loved going to the Grand at Vandalia! Where I live is only about 20 minutes from the Michigan Trapshooters Assoc. home grounds, so I used to shoot the whole program at the Great Lakes Grand every year as well as all the other big shoots they hosted.

The first time I ever shot registered doubles, there was only one other guy on the line. I'd be a liar if I said that I wasn't a bit intimidated at first, because that one other guy was Kay Ohye. It turned out to be a good thing though, because shooting with him helped me establish a rhythm that worked. Had a great conversation with him and Nora Martin afterward.
Ahhh.....the good ol' days!

Squad rhythm is what pushed me to always start on post 1 with 16's an H/C, after the 3rd-4th year into tarp. Doubles, I liked to start on Post 5 as I would get 4 looks on where I want to holed before banging each post. Shooting on a good rhythm squad was always a good day for me.

Shot a K80 for trap but 10 years ago switched to sporting clays. Currently shooting a DT10L.

Oh my heavens that dt10 <3...

One of the guys showed up the club with a DT 11 black pro the other day and I was speechless and how comfortable that gun was. Far from traditional but a joy to shoot.

I shoot trap and skeet and use a Browning XT Trap and Browning XS Skeet. Wouldn't mind trying something a bit more expensive but I shoot both of these pretty well. I haven't shot Sporting Clays but am looking forward to trying this spring.

Just bought a zoli expedition setup for sporting. Would rather watch paint dry than shoot trap ???

Just bought a zoli expedition setup for sporting. Would rather watch paint dry than shoot trap ???
Trap is not for every shotgun shooter, just like running 500+ straight. Trap is a one bird at a time mental game. That is the reason when big money is on the line you see, rent a sluts, all over the place. That is not by accident,... old tactic that takes many guys off their game for just a few seconds an that all it takes in a major shoot. Now that woman are in the big money, I have seen rent a "chip an dale" as well. Tarp shooters are some of the devious SOB's, I have ever met when money is on the line.

Yeah I hear ya. It's like indoor archery. I shoot it for practice and a bunch of my buddies compete. Shooting the same 3 targets over 100 times a day, 365 days a year.

Boring as shit. At least 3d and some of the other events simulate hunting a require thought. That's what's great about SC, courses always change and you can't cheat the shot. Have to learn to shoot to break and unknown target, just like hunting.

I honestly don't understand how people enjoy it. Won more than a few turkey shoot becuase let's face it, target is an easy smoke.

Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporting. 95% sporting clays, 4% bunker trap, 1% American trap and skeet.

I find American trap and skeet tediously boring. My attention span can't handle the monotony. Trap doubles is fun tho.