• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Traveling for work

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
I have a great employment opportunity. It is in the firearm industry and money is a bump over my current dead end non firearm industry position. The down side is I will be driving and be on the road approx 3 nights a week.

I was not in the military and have never had a job that required this amount of time commitment. People in this type of position how do you balance work travel and home life? While my wife and I do not have kids, that bridge may be crossed in the future. Any insight?

Take it. Especially if you don't really like where you are now. 1st rule... always say yes, you never know what might happen.

Edit: could she come with you sometimes?

You need to make sure your wife is OK with you being gone 4 days a week.

I mean that...traveling can kill relationships.

I travel about 200 dAys a year...the nice thing is that when I'm home, I'm home no work stuff.

Yep, traveling is hard. I have to spend about 6 to 9 weeks a year out of state for work. Flying commercial is a bitch and you get damn tired of it. That doesn't include in-state travel. That can be another 6 weeks but home on the weekends but the driving can be several hundred miles in one week. You will eventually get used to it but damn its hard on the body and mind. It always sounds glamorous at first but living out of a suitcase, in a hotel, and eating out is a bitch. Wait until you are sick and traveling. Better, a major abscessed tooth or ear infection. It isn't like the military whereas you just report to sick bay. You will need to make plans for such contingencies. Also, make plans for eating right and making time for working out on a tight schedule. I don't care what anybody says. An 8 hour workday on the road will become the equivalent of a 16 hour day at home. Then there is family to think about. Shit always happen when you're gone. The kind of shit only you take care of. But with all that I wouldn't trade it. Every day is unique.

When you are home make sure you make time to spend with the family without work or thinking about work. It takes a strong relationship because a lot of home duties, bills, shopping, etc. fall on your wife. I work away from home for about 6 months a year, sometimes with only a couple days a month home but when I'm home I don't have to worry about work.

At the highest level

1. Traveling is very hard on relationships. I passed up a job that I really wanted because it required being away from home 4 days a week, 50 weeks a year because I knew I would be divorced within the first year.
2. Make sure your wife is capable and willing to handle the various 'issues' that come up at home - car breaks down, home repair of some type, etc. while you are out of town. Not that she needs to effect the repair but that she is willing to deal with the various repair folks while you are gone. You most likely won't be able to do your job and handle all these things from the road.
3. Your life on the road will always seem more glamorous to those who don't travel. Be prepared to come home exhausted and wanting a home cooked meal and your wife wanting to go out to eat because she handled number 2 above plus her own job, if she works outside the home, and you've been 'on vacation' while you traveled.
4. What are the travel allowances for the job? Are you going to be expected to stay at the cheapest hotels or can you stay at the higher end of the scale? I prefer the Courtyard type, I do not like full service hotels. This will really matter to you about week 2 or 3. Are your expenses per diem or do you need to file all receipts and have maximums to spend.
5. Are you expected to entertain clients? Drinking several nights a week yet still maintaining your 'work posture' gets old fast. Yes, when you are out to dinner with your clients you are still on the job. This turns an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day or more.

I just did some traveling for a firearms industry job.. You are away from your friends and family.. as everyone said above, and they and you (can) very quickly get annoyed with that situation. I would just suggest really looking into all the details of traveling for work(in regards to the employers position), like someone said above, could she come with you at all, would the employer allow that? are you required to go straight back to the job when you get back to town, or do you get some down time? What is the employer paying for while you travel, and make sure it is recorded correctly and done in a professional manner, not just here is $100 in cash.. How can the travel add to your resume, is it the type of experience than can move you into a higher earning roll, or another job with more earning potential? Just more stuff to consider. I don't think always saying YES is the right idea, but new can be exciting...

At the highest level

1. Traveling is very hard on relationships. I passed up a job that I really wanted because it required being away from home 4 days a week, 50 weeks a year because I knew I would be divorced within the first year.
2. Make sure your wife is capable and willing to handle the various 'issues' that come up at home - car breaks down, home repair of some type, etc. while you are out of town. Not that she needs to effect the repair but that she is willing to deal with the various repair folks while you are gone. You most likely won't be able to do your job and handle all these things from the road.
3. Your life on the road will always seem more glamorous to those who don't travel. Be prepared to come home exhausted and wanting a home cooked meal and your wife wanting to go out to eat because she handled number 2 above plus her own job, if she works outside the home, and you've been 'on vacation' while you traveled.
4. What are the travel allowances for the job? Are you going to be expected to stay at the cheapest hotels or can you stay at the higher end of the scale? I prefer the Courtyard type, I do not like full service hotels. This will really matter to you about week 2 or 3. Are your expenses per diem or do you need to file all receipts and have maximums to spend.
5. Are you expected to entertain clients? Drinking several nights a week yet still maintaining your 'work posture' gets old fast. Yes, when you are out to dinner with your clients you are still on the job. This turns an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day or more.

All very good points and I have dealt with all of them but the 5th one. Traveling can hurt a strong relationship and will ruin a good one, it takes a special kind of person to tolerate it.

The small bit of traveling for a job you enjoy wont be near as stressful to the family as being stuck in a dead end job.

Everyone has made good points. I started travelling for work 12 years ago. And as everyone has said, your friends may think its all glamorous, but its really not. Yes, you may get to go to some cool places, but you rarely have time to see the sights. I mainly fly, so that can be annoying but you have to learn to roll with the punches and not get worked up over delays, etc.

You mentioned that you would be driving (no mention of flying). If that's the case I would also have questions like do you get a company car, can you use a rental, or are you expected to use your personal vehicle and get mileage? In my mind mileage won't be enough to support the wear & tear on your vehicle and cover gas. If I use my personal vehicle for a nearby engagement, I can expense mileage, or expense fuel, but not both. Something to consider. Also, if doing a lot of driving that can be tiring as well. Some folks I know would rather drive, but for me I'd just as soon fly. If I have the choice of driving 6 hours vs. a flight that overall consumes the same amount of time (flight time, plus airport time, etc.) I'll choose flying every time.

Also be wary of "you'll only be gone three days a week". I was initially told something similar, like you'll travel to a gig Monday mornings and come home Friday afternoon. That didn't last very long when things may demand you're there first thing Monday morning or something like that. Even if driving, do you want to get up and drive 3 or 4 hours to be somewhere at 8, or drive out Sunday night, so you can not be rushed and fresh for Monday morning? Those things creep in.

Also consider you home life as everyone has said but don't forget your personal free time as well. Before my current job, I was extremely active in the shooting sports, actual team sports and off roading. That went by the wayside quick as I just didn't have the time to devote to relationship, my personal fun time, and just normal stuff around the house/yard, etc. After getting home on a Friday, getting up at 4:30 AM the next day to drive several hours to go to some rifle match was just not very appealing at times. Or, Yeah, I'd love to take the jeep on that weekend trip, but I have to head out Sunday night to be someplace Monday morning. My kids were almost grown when I started, so that was not a huge deal, and my better half and I are both very independent working people so there was not this need for constant mutual in person support or dependence.

Something else to think about is if you will be what we call, virtually connected, i.e. you work from home and don't report to a specific office, its much more demanding that working in the office environment. You have to be a self starter and not in need of that office/workplace social fix that many people seem to need. And you will find yourself answering emails, tinkering with some report or some such after normal hours. It's just the nature of things. The last time I had a face to face with my manager was a year and a half ago. In fact at that same time, it was the first time a had met some of the other members of my team face to face. It's different and you're not always in tune with what is "going on" with the company.

All that said, Unless you are working with a specific set of customers/clients, every day is different, every place can be new, and you'll meet a ton of people (some interesting and some not so much). I've built some very good relationships with repeat customers over the years, and have on occasion had time to see and do some really cool things on the road. I work out my home, so when I'm not on the road, I'm home, which is good. I'ts not for everyone, but I would not trade it for the world. I hate the thought of going into an office and sitting in a cube every day.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The small bit of traveling for a job you enjoy wont be near as stressful to the family as being stuck in a dead end job.

+1 My previous job I was home every night but had little family time and hated getting up every morning. I lovingly refer to that job as the 'soul crusher'.

I work in the industry, at least until 12/31. I have been traveling for seven years. I am normally out on the road 3 nights per week but during show season (coming up) as long as three weeks without seeing home.
It is a great job but not as glamourous as it seems. Remember, it is a JOB. You will have customers and they, even gun guys, are not always the most pleasant to work with. Not sure who the manufacturer you're looking at is. Some are good and others not so good. I definitely would not go to work in the MSR arena right now, as they are going to be dead for quite a while.
Why did I leave? Just needed some down time. Family obligations are the big reason. My Mom is old now and not in the greatest of health. Also, after a bout with cancer three years ago I felt the need to (and had the funds) relax and do some things I wanted to do.

Remember, it is a JOB. You will have customers and they, even gun guys, are not always the most pleasant to work with.
I don't think it matters the industry, we have a saying, "life would be grand, if it weren't for the customers" LOL!

Make sure the better half is on board totally.
Make sure your per diem covers your road expenses.
If you put in additional hours, make sure the company has a way of compensating you for that, either OT pay or time off.
Get an iPad and the FaceTime app, you will be able to have a lot better communication with your wife if you can see each other.
If your driving get the DAT truckers app. It will give you roadside rest locations, WallMarts, and fuel.
If you stay in hotels get signed up to their rewards program, I use Marriots Hotels, several free nights per year.
Rewards program for flying as well, I logged 96,000 miles this year.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advise. Job is salary + per diem + $.25/mile. I have to fill out forms for the balance of the $.56/mile fed rate at income tax time. Shows are paid for by company though. This job is similar to a sales rep job, but no selling.

The spousal support is the sticking point. She is not thrilled about the travel. I have read elsewhere that daily communication and facetime are important. I feel like you can't get anywhere by saying no. I also believe you can do anything for a year. Give it a try and if it not for us, I am in the same boat of looking for a new job.

OK, after a long discussion with the S/O this is a go. She is understanding that this is a career move that I want to take and we won't know if it is the right move until we take it and look back. So my only concern right now it the milage rate. Can someone here chime in to let me know it works at tax time? At the given $.25/mile that cover gas only until $4/gal. I am sure it will climb past that this summer like it always does. So am I out of pocket for maintance and wear and tear plus gas that is over $4/gal? I know the current tax rate is $.565/mile. I am just trying to figure out how this will work for taxes next year.

thanks

I work over the road and boy am I glad I don't have a family. I haven't been "home" since July. Save every receipt and get a good tax Guy. I make roughly 700 a week per diem and milage currently. It all adds up end of the year. I am already compiling my paperwork so I can do mine the soonest possible. Working so close to home you wont be able to get it but if your in a place like nd where you are away from home but stationary you can claim a lot more.

I'm gone over six months out of the year. Don't worry you get use to it. Just make sure the wife has a sancho that leaves a few beers in the fridge,leaves two days before you get home;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sit down with your wife and ask yourselves "what is the highest possible good for our family". Once you've determined what that is, identify what's keeping you from achieving that - eliminate or change those things and then do whatever it takes to make "the highest possible good a present tense reality". Whatever you do - don't do this without her involvement and prefer one another in your discussions. Don't be afraid to endure some hardness now (hardness like going to a gym and working out) because that's what leads to mastery and joy in the long run.

I would say take it if your wife is in board. It is very helpful to have a strong support at home. I took a job 2 years ago and travel every other week for the most part. A few two week spells at home here and there. And personally I like it. My company takes good care of me via hotel etc. and I just keep myself busy. Your upside is no kids. I have two older teenagers so it's not to bad, but if they were young I think it would be a little difficult at times. The other side is this something you really want? If so than try, especially since your not currently all that happy anyway.
Just my two cents.