• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tremble nomad FFS

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
Anyone using the nomad with FFS linked up to kestrel BT? I have the kestrel BT version but run ballisticAE app on my iphone and the kestrel doesn't pair up to the iphone so looking into getting a nomad.

Yep, that's one of the advantages of FFS over the phone apps, though it comes at a price. It'll also interface with the Vectronix line of rangefinders (except the Terrapin) with the data cable.

It works great and gives you real time atmospheric data that you don't have to enter in manually but it will exhaust your Nomads battery realitively quick so you'll have to toggle on\off to use over a longer length of time.

Apple does not allow any device other than sound devices to pair up via bluetooth.

Besides, how often is your weather changing to need a continuous connection ?

But yes it does work with a Nomad, as others have noted your battery will soon feel it if you leave the connection open.

ColdBore will connect as well, and you can have both ColdBore and FFS on the same device if you so choose.

What is the real advantage of the nomad besides running the software and pairing with the kestrel?

It's built like a brick shithouse, where as smartphones are most definitely not. It all depends on your perceived chances of dropping the device, or getting it wet; if those odds go high enough, the Nomad starts to appear as a smart choice.

An in-between option would be running the Horus or AB software on a Kestrel 4500; while this is not as robust or full-featured as a Nomad running FFS, it's probably good enough for many users.

FWIW, I have successfully gotten my Kestrel to link via Bluetooth to an Android tablet (Motorola ET1) running the AB software, so that's yet another option (an "enterprise tablet" like the ET1 isn't as robust as a Nomad, but it's tougher than a typical smartphone).

As an additional sidenote, Apple does allow other Bluetooth devices to link to their phones... if said devices have the Apple authentication chip. The process of getting device approval is not necessarily simple, and there is a per-instance cost as well.

E bryant that's the main reason I want one is they are tuff and I like the idea if the GPS but I have never played with one so I don't know of they are a pain to use or set up fairly simple or if the GPS is any good for the cost of the unit...

You will love the Nomad with FFS. Gps is good on the 900 and a little slower on the 800. If paired with Kestral, battery only lasts about 10 hours but is rechargeable. Other features make the cost worthwhile. I just got my PLRF setup and am using it to get gps locations of the targets without having to go to each target. It is pretty cool be able to ping targets with the rangefinder and it automatically create a target list with associated dope.

Last edited:
Trimble Recons can be found with Bluetooth, mine doesn't have it but Horus AtragMX still comes in CF format so was a cheap way to get more durable PDA than the fragile old iPaqs etc. NOS Recons can be found for under $500 but be sure you're getting the new battery. The car chargers are a must with them, but run time is easily 8 hrs or more depending on your screen brightness setting.

The Nomad is hardened for field use, has a very long battery life, interfaces very well with the Kestrel and Vectronix. The ability to interface with my Vectronix 10C via the trigger cable is huge. Building a range card is as simple as lasing targets. Updating environmental data is as simple as pressing the enter button. While most of the environmental data doesn't change very quickly, the wind does. A quick press of the enter button updates all of your firing solutions with current wind holds. The GPS in my 900L is very good. FFS is an awesome tool.

The smart phones aren't meant for hard use, but they can be adapted with certain water resistant cases. At the end of the day, they are a compromise with short battery life compared to the Nomad.

The Nomad/FFS does come at a price both in terms of $, weight, and size. Not everyone needs all of this functionality, but if you can swing it and it meets your needs, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E bryant that's the main reason I want one is they are tuff and I like the idea if the GPS but I have never played with one so I don't know of they are a pain to use or set up fairly simple or if the GPS is any good for the cost of the unit...

Sorry, but I can't help it: that is the most awesome run-on sentence I've read today! :)

With the cheap rangefinder

With spotter instead of Nomad. Nomad now goes on the upright or leg of the tripod.

Last edited:
And this:

APO TACT3 S tripod
APO Electro Optic Rail Grabber
APO TIM
Leupold MK4 12-40x60 TMR with ARD
Vectronix PLRF 10C
Vectronix SEV78 data cable with trigger (not shown)
Trimble Nomad 900L with FFS Delta V

Last edited:
Isn't it a tad frustrating that the expensive Electro-Optical Rail Grabber from APO is basically an Elcan mount? However, it sure does work well...

And this:

APO TACT3 S tripod
APO Electro Optic Rail Grabber
APO TIM
Leupold MK4 12-40x60 TMR with ARD
Vectronix PLRF 10C
Vectronix SEV78 data cable with trigger (not shown)
Trimble Nomad 900L with FFS Delta V

How do you like having the LRF above the spotter? I was thinking that they would be better with them side by side but after looking at yours, I might build a new one.

I like it. The LRF can be slaved to the spotter so that you can utilize the the higher magnification on the spotter for lasing. The The Rail Grabber has azimuth and elevation adjustments to make that possible. It's a pricey piece of kit though.

Just got off the phone with Ashbury precision and they were telling me about the vectronix 10c. I was originally planning on running the terripen but I might need to step up in grade to get it to work with the nomad with BT, or can you manually type in a range to the target just as easy and not haft to drop 4-5k on a range finder?

I like it. The LRF can be slaved to the spotter so that you can utilize the the higher magnification on the spotter for lasing. The The Rail Grabber has azimuth and elevation adjustments to make that possible. It's a pricey piece of kit though.

Oh I totally agree - it makes for a great combination! I was just commenting on the fact that it looks like they basically took an Elcan mount/base and made some modifications, which makes the price kind of sting.

Spotter60PLRF_zps1c470b5c.jpeg

I have all NF scopes with either the mil dot or MLR reticle. My Leupold spotter had a mil dot, but I sent it back and had them swap the reticle to the TMR. This matches up nicely with the MLR reticle. The one mil dot scope I have is one of the U.S. Army contract overruns. My preference is to standardize on FFP MLR, but the Army scope is nice. I like the TMR over the mil dot for giving corrections.

DT, is that an Elcan or APO mount in your photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run USO glass with the Horus reticle on my DTA. I was just thinking the Horus in the spotter would be a lot going on in the spotter for watching trace abd just using for looking for impacts.