• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 22 BARREL REMOVAL

ACK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2004
So. Ca
I would like to remove my 308 barrel. I found the removal tools from KRG and Bugholes.com as well as using a Wheeler #1. Which tool is the best for this application? I read comments on the KRG tool type regarding possible receiver damage.
I may want to reinstall the 308 barrel in the future

Thanks

Last edited:
Initial barrel removal for my TRG was the same as my Tikkas, torqued on by Thor…
Don't use an internal action wrench for initial factory barrel removal, use the external Wheeler and a barrel vise.
Just my experience. GL.

Use the Wheeler #1 and a barrel vice snugged down tight to remove the factory barrel. You will need a rubber mallet in one hand to whack the action wrench handle a few times as you hold a bind on it with the other. It will break free. I’ve pulled a few TRG barrels with no trouble at all. Same for several tikka barrels although most of these weren’t much more than hand tight and a whack with my palm did the trick.

@GBMaryland - you've pulled a factory barrel off of a TRG-22, right? Did you use the internal type action wrench or.....??

Thank you that was my original assessment.
Anyone used a hydraulic press with oak blocks in lieu of a barrel vise? We have one at work, considering cutting a v groove and sandwiching the wood blocks between steel plates prior installation on the hydraulic press. Compression is easily controlled.

Thank you that was my original assessment.
Anyone used a hydraulic press with oak blocks in lieu of a barrel vise? We have one at work, considering cutting a v groove and sandwiching the wood blocks between steel plates prior installation on the hydraulic press. Compression is easily controlled.
I tried something similar with a hydraulic press and had no luck breaking factory barrels. All I had on hand was soft wood. Hardwood may give better results.

A mechforce vise is $100 and well worth it. A viper vice is $25 less expensive but I have no experience with that one.