• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 For 1000 Yard Competion

Dark Horse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Albany, NY
I would think this rifle with the right load would have no problem holding its own at this distance. Since I cannot use my TRG-42 due to the muzzle brake and F Class regulations, I would like to hone my skills at this distance but keep the tactical setup. Anyone shoot competitively with one out to 1000 yrds? Not looking to shoot benchrest, just long range prone.

Re: TRG-22 For 1000 Yard Competion

I'd be interested in hearing any info on this too. I was drooling over a TRG 22 at a local shop a couple weeks ago and had to put it down quick before it came home with me.

Bumping this thread up for a fellow NY'er

I use one and it reaches just fine. I had no issues with factory FGM 168s. Just get a base with MOA built in or a scope with enough adjustment and your good to go. Th factory sako or the near mfg, or uso, or badger.... the list goes on.

Any .308 load will get there, some just fly better then others. Many like the 175s, others like the 155s. But you are right in saying no problem at 1000.

I cant say enough good about the sako TRG 22. Its one of absolute fines shooting rifles I have ever owned. If you are wanting one but are a little hesitant, let me say you will never regret that rifle purchase. ALL sako trgs shoot great. I have owned 3 and have one sitting in my safe right now.

I couldn't agree more...I shoot the older Sako TRG-21 which is basically a 22 minus the stock cuts. I use it straight out of the box. I had bought all the stuff, Sako bi-pod ($400), Sako scope mount ($250), Sako compensator($100), Sako extra mag ($224) and Sako rings($120). That is a waste of money! First off all of these pieces mentioned are way over priced. Here is what I ended up with: Harris bi-pod ($70), Harris bi-pod adapter (needed metric)($10), Near 20 moa rail ($100), IOR Rings ($120), NightForce 5x22 NXS scope($1500), I got a deal on that. Keep this in mind, match shooting doesn't allow loaded magazines or a compensator. So there is no need to have and extra one. You load one round at a time. Next the Near rail gives you the moa required for this distance. The rifle will do the rest. I've beaten custom made guns with Broughton barrels and Barnard actions. Your loads are very important it this game as well as technique. I'll be shooting my Sako at the Nationals Match F-T/R class in Oct at Camp Butner NC. That being said...go for it. BTW I shoot 185 Berger VLD's at 600 thru 1000 yards.

Rooster

Mine shot sub 1/2 moa with 175's and lapua 155's. No problem at all reaching 1K.

+1 on not using the Sako bipod for 1000yds. Too much tilt to control if one is used to a Harris with pod-loc. Switched out to a Harris with a 6A adapter and am much happier. Must say I prefer my Broughton barreled 700 for F-Class as I think (?) subjective...my results only...that the much heavier taper of the Broughton is better suited to string-fire. If one takes his time, though, a TRG-22 is gtg. I plan to work some more with the 22 and get all I can out of it. Shot four targets down from Rooster last weekend. Digged the TRG-21 with ss barrel!

AG in NC

What kind of groups/ scores are you guys getting at 1k w your 308s?

As I recall, on a 20 round string @ 1,000 yards AG scored around 15 to 20 points lower with the TRG (w a 32x NF) than he did with his custom F(tr) rifle (w/ a 25x Leupy). I don't think that the load was developed specifically for the TRG, but I do know that it was the 1st time that his custom rifle had been shot at 1,000 since the recent rebarrel; so there wasn't a lot of load development put into it either.

IMHO - I don't think his TRG (even though it cost more) will ever keep up with his custom rifle at 1,000 yards for a 20 round string. But then again, it wan't designed to. His TRG is badass, but a true F(tr) gun it is not.

Last week I shot ok. It was more for getting back into the groove since I hadn't shot for 2 months. I was also using virgin brass and the wind was all over the place. I shot 137 with 2 "X"'s on the team match for 15 shots. I also shot an "X" on my first spotter. For the Nationals I'll have 1-shot brass which will make a difference since the case's head space will be geared for my TRG-21. For 20 shot matches I was able to shoot 187ish and 6 "X"'s. I'm still adjusting my loads, but I think I found what works best for my rifle.

Rooster

So guys, let me ask... what is the specific match class that you can get away with using a TRG-22/42 in?

Several of our F/TR shooters use the TRG22 in combination with the 155 scenars and they compete just fine.