• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 or AIAE

Re: TRG-22 or AIAE

TRG but I think they are both great rifles.

I have two TRGs
TRG-22
TRG-42 .338LM
Love them.

Big AI man here, but can't go wrong with either. Or better yet, buy both.

Do both manufacturers have service centers in the US? Would that help with your decision?

Thinkin this is a personal preference type of question here. Judging by the vote count plus the fact they are both awesome platforms, I'd try and get behind each and see what fits you best and go that route.

It really depends on which fits you best...they are significantly different. Both good but regarding ergos are very different. Personally I prefer the AI ergos; however, I like the TRG trigger better.

I just decided to go ae mkiii. Now that it has the aw bolt, it just makes even more sense.

I do like the trg trigger and bipod though...

Yeah they both shoot lights out. Only factory rifle I would ditch my TRG for would be an AI.

Can you change calibers yourself with the trg? Can you shoot short action magnums with a trg 22?

Oh tough call and for once two very comparable choices.

I have owned 3 AI's and consider myself a fanboy. Love the action not fond of the ergos. Current rifles wear A5s and TRG has a similar feel.

Construction is about the same and neither is an AW but that's another step up in pricing.

In the end I choose AI because of commonality and abundance of mags and parts and also because of the people who represent them such as Stacey B. Never seen anybody from Sako or Beretta on here.

If comfort was the deciding point it would be the TRG. Everything else its AI all the way.

Can someone post a very brief description of AIAE. I've done searches on both google and sniper's hide, but can't find anything definitive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A2DownRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone post a very brief description of AIAE. I've done searches on both google and sniper's hide, but can't find anything definitive. </div></div>

My Review Article
http://8541tactical.com/AIAEMk2%20article.php

I don't own and have never shot the TRG. However I did compare it when I bought the AE MkII. Get hands on if you can, but in the end it was the AI reputation that sold me. It hasn't let me down so far.

AI due to the superior support from the manufacturer. A multi-month wait for a broken bolt stop pin? No thanks! AI can get anything you need in the mail to you the next day.

—Andreas

I have shot both. My mates TRG hammers. I picked the AI cause I like the ergo's and it fits me to a tee, and this rifle hammers also. I just love AI's in general.

Chose the AE though I really don't want either. Anbody intrested in starting a poll like this between the TRG-42, the AW, and the AX ?

I have a TRG in .338 and they are a good rifle. Are they as good as an AI? Probably not but the AI isn't 2-3K better in my opinion. The accuracy will be pretty much identical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRG in .338 and they are a good rifle. Are they as good as an AI? Probably not but the AI isn't 2-3K better in my opinion. The accuracy will be pretty much identical.
</div></div>

An AE doesn't cost $2-3K more than a TRG, more like $200-300 more. By time you factor in a few mags for each one the AI will cost less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRG in .338 and they are a good rifle. Are they as good as an AI? Probably not but the AI isn't 2-3K better in my opinion. The accuracy will be pretty much identical.
</div></div>

An AE doesn't cost $2-3K more than a TRG, more like $200-300 more. By time you factor in a few mags for each one the AI will cost less. </div></div>

Really depends on the options you choose (2.0, muzzle brake, etc) but you are right, it is very close especially if you buy Sako accessories.

I am a big fan of the AI's. I have shot a TRG, and I have owned both the AW and AE. I still have the AW and wont part with it.

I'd pick the AE without a moments hesitation. The bolt/action/trigger is unmatched in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRG in .338 and they are a good rifle. Are they as good as an AI? Probably not but the AI isn't 2-3K better in my opinion. The accuracy will be pretty much identical.
</div></div>

An AE doesn't cost $2-3K more than a TRG, more like $200-300 more. By time you factor in a few mags for each one the AI will cost less. </div></div>

Really depends on the options you choose (2.0, muzzle brake, etc) but you are right, it is very close especially if you buy Sako accessories.

</div></div>

If your talking about those options the AI gets cheaper really quick. You can get a AE folder with threaded muzzle and brake for $3800 if you shop around. TRG folder is $5000+ and that doesn't even include a muzzle break.

Here's a fully decked out AE MKIII with the AW bolt for $4100:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261822250

For what Sako want's for their folder you can get a AW folder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRG in .338 and they are a good rifle. Are they as good as an AI? Probably not but the AI isn't 2-3K better in my opinion. The accuracy will be pretty much identical.
</div></div>

if your going to compare apples to apples don't compare the trg gen 2 folder to the aiae, they just flat out aren't the same. With the gen 2 folder you get flush 10rd mags, quick adjust comb/lop/target buttstock, monopod. You can't even get those options on the ae. However if you put those options on the comparable aw or ax you get into the 7-8 grand department.

I say all this from actual experience i own a gen 2 trg folder, and my buddy own both aw and ax. I will admit the ae/aw have a much more robust feel to them and i would pretty much guarantee to win in any durability test. I am only a match shooter and won't be taking the rifle to battle ever so the trg is plenty tough enough for me.

They are both fantastic rifles and truly what i believe to be the pinnacle of precision field rifles.

</div></div>

If your talking about those options the AI gets cheaper really quick. You can get a AE folder with threaded muzzle and brake for $3800 if you shop around. TRG folder is $5000+ and that doesn't even include a muzzle break.

Here's a fully decked out AE MKIII with the AW bolt for $4100:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261822250

For what Sako want's for their folder you can get a AW folder.</div></div>

if your going to compare apples to apples don't compare the trg gen 2 folder to the aiae, they just flat out aren't the same. With the gen 2 folder you get flush 10rd mags, quick adjust comb/lop/target buttstock, monopod. You can't even get those options on the ae. However if you put those options on the comparable aw or ax you get into the 7-8 grand department.

I say all this from actual experience i own a gen 2 trg folder, and my buddy own both aw and ax. I will admit the ae/aw have a much more robust feel to them and i would pretty much guarantee to win in any durability test. I am only a match shooter and won't be taking the rifle to battle ever so the trg is plenty tough enough for me.

They are both fantastic rifles and truly what i believe to be the pinnacle of precision field rifles.

AIAE, just for the fact I already have a TRG

i shot both then bought a TRG; stock fits me better, the thumbhole is too tight for my hand; and the trigger is better in the TRG. Both are very accurate.
can't go wrong with either one except for the little preferances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shot both then bought a TRG; stock fits me better, the thumbhole is too tight for my hand; and the trigger is better in the TRG. Both are very accurate.
can't go wrong with either one except for the little preferances. </div></div>

Same here.

The main reasons I picked TRG was the lighter weight and reputation for having a top notch trigger pull.

Lovin my custom TRG42 in 7 mag!

Accuracy-wise, it's a wash. Pick the one with the ergonomics that work for you. They are very different, but neither has the edge on accuracy.

My duty rifle is TRG. I have shot an AI and loved it.

Whichever you do, you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I love the AIAW and AIAX and have no experience w/ the AE but would think they would be close to the AW. I hands down pick the TRG for me. Here is why:
The trg fits me better and it is much more adjustable than the AI series of rifles.
The TRG has a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">much</span> better trigger than the AI series (although the AIs are very good)
I like the action better on the TRG (feels more natural to me).
I like the fact the 10 round mag sits flush with the stock, and I think its easier to insert into the rifle under stress.
The TRG is lighter.
I truely dont feel the TRG is a rifle that has reliability issues although the AI series are as tough as it comes (atleast the AW and AX are).
I actually like the "over priced" TRG bipod better than any other I have shot (which I have shot many).

Now keep in mind I have a LOT of time behind a TRG and a lot less (but still a fair ammount) behind a AIAW and AIAX so my opnions may be a bit 1 sided.

I don't see much talk about customer support in North America for the TRG. The last I heard, it's very hard to get spares for the TRG in the US and finding a replacement barrel can also be a challenge. Has any of these changed?