• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 Purchase

Coopers7777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
Quite some time ago I had posted regarding TRG-22 barrel lengths. At the time I had decided on the 20” as it would be wearing a suppressor. Long story short, I purchased the optic (from Lazy!), mount, suppressor, and a case before the project fell to the wayside and the parts sat in the safe.

I’ve got the itch again and will be pulling the trigger on one in the next few weeks.

That said, when I was raising questions about barrel length, the rifle was set to be a 308. Now that 6.5 is on the table, I’m scratching my head again. If the 6.5 was available in the 20”, I feel that would be the ticket, but again I have concerns with barrel length / length overall with the can on it. I’m interested in hearing thoughts / opinions between the two.

Additionally, I recall talk (circa 2011) of the next (current) gen TRG receiving 5/8x24 threads in place of metric threading. The can I have sitting in the safe is a Liberty Victory, so if it’s still metic I’ll need to sort that out as well, but I can’t seem to find anything indicating what the newer gen rifles are fitted with. Can anyone comment??

Last but not least, do we have any forum supporters looking to make a sale!?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Coop

Hit up @wade2big for a short TRG22 in 308.

Or below for a 260 20”

As far as muzzle threads I believe they are still metric.

Reactions: wade2big

Or below for a 260 20”

The threads are metric. They are large enough to thread over 5/8x24 without having to chop the barrel and recrown. I appreciate the mention.

I pm'd you a link to my thread OP. Its like buying a new rifle with a steep discount. Its perfect. Shoots too. I assure you there is 5 in this 100 yard group. Either that or I missed the target twice. :) :) It is the one and only 5 shot group I ever shot with the thing so I can honestly say it isn't cherry picked. ;) Factory 175gr FGMM

987158AC-44D6-48B4-977B-99B4FA6A552E.jpeg

Last edited:
18mm can be rethreaded to 5/8? Seems pretty close. I know coarse metric threads on ai cant be rethreaded those need lopped off and new crown. Either way, if you trust a smith enough to rethread for a suppressor, a new crown is simple enough. Then barrel length of original rifle doesnt matter.

18mm can be rethreaded to 5/8? Seems pretty close. I know coarse metric threads on ai cant be rethreaded those need lopped off and new crown. Either way, if you trust a smith enough to rethread for a suppressor, a new crown is simple enough. Then barrel length of original rifle doesnt matter.
I have only read that the threads can be turned down and still have enough meat to thread 5/8-24. I will look for the article that I read that in and post it. I have not put calipers on the end myself to verify. I should have made it clear that this isn't something I have done myself.

You are correct it is easy enough to cut back the 1/2" to thread and recrown as the cost would be the same I would imagine.

You could go with the Area419 hellfire system. They make a 5/8-24 direct thread adapter that you install on your can the use their universal mount on the M18x1 threads on the TRG barrel.

I used this when my TRG has metric thread and my other rifle had 5/8 thread. It works great.

1583416575695.png

You know you want one.
This is with the long barrel and suppressor, chambered in .308.
It shoots as wades (above) does, it really seems to like the 175 grain SMK and Scenar L.
Be sure to have some money for some KRG goodies for it. You will get the itch sooner or later.

View attachment 7265648

You know you want one.
This is with the long barrel and suppressor, chambered in .308.
It shoots as wades (above) does, it really seems to like the 175 grain SMK and Scenar L.
Be sure to have some money for some KRG goodies for it. You will get the itch sooner or later.
His itch is about to be scratched. He claimed mine in the exchange.

i do like that KRG folding stock. May have to get me one eventually.

Reactions: Vargmat
i do like that KRG folding stock. May have to get me one eventually.

The KRG folder is a great upgrade. I will never go back.
I have also had a complete Whiskey 3 chassis on a Tikka T3 some years ago, so I knew I liked it allready.

Older muzzle threads for sure still metric, can’t say on the newest models. My tikka tac a1 is 5/8-24 where as my brothers older tikka tactical is 18mm. I’ve heard the tac a1 is the same barrel as the trg22 but can’t verify that. Either way 18mm is enough to rethread to 5/8 or get an adapter.

I’m interested in what’s going on here myself.

I love TRG22. I'm on my 3rd barrel. My only complaint is I wish there was a lighter stock so it would be a bit easier to justify using as a hunting rifle. Mine is currently at 16.8# with bipod, scope, and magazine.

Or below for a 260 20”

Thanks for the heads up; I've connected with Wade and am looking forward to shooting my first TRG!

Just a heads up you’re gonna fall in love with it. I know that I did.

Reactions: Coopers7777
I used an adapter once when was necessary to put a suppressor on a TRG.

Reactions: swampbuck
I’ve threaded a bunch of M18 TRG barrels down to 5/8-24. No problem.

It’s been a while but I think the root of the thread is still visible at 5/8, but it’s very minor and disappears once you cut the 5/8 thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: wade2big