• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 Rebarrel

Choid

Anti Bodyfat Activist
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Hi, I have a TRG-22 with some major issues. Mainly, the front rail screw was stripped out and apparently to get it out the original owner tried to drill it, and he went all the way through the chamber. Needless to say, this is a bit of a cluster, but I took it on because I love the rifles in general. Anybody know a smith who does a good job rebarreling these? I know I could get a nut from KRG, but want to look at other options first.

Short action customs does bang up TRG rebarrels. I had a proof in 6.5 creed from them and it shot lights out. That’s who I would look to or a barrel from PVA
Try Doyle Anglin at Dixie Guns in Winder GA. He is a machining and precision rifle builder wiz.
EJ

Short action customs has done barrel work on two of my TRG’s and I’ve been very happy with them. I would highly recommend their work.

Attachments

• 60096539-1F95-4FC3-86D4-EDEF47BB1E1A.jpeg
    60096539-1F95-4FC3-86D4-EDEF47BB1E1A.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 37
You may want to consider a DIY approach. I went with KRG’s barrel, barrel nut and action wrench. It was surprisingly easy to change out. I did have to take it to machinist friend to make a relief cut to get the barrel off. You will also need a good barrel vice. The upside is no shipping or waiting. Setting the headspace with go/no go gauges was much easier than I anticipated.

PVA is doing shouldered prefits for TRGs

You may want to consider a DIY approach. I went with KRG’s barrel, barrel nut and action wrench. It was surprisingly easy to change out. I did have to take it to machinist friend to make a relief cut to get the barrel off. You will also need a good barrel vice. The upside is no shipping or waiting. Setting the headspace with go/no go gauges was much easier than I anticipated.

PVA is doing shouldered prefits for TRGs
I really like the people at KRG, and would go that way, but my hesitation is getting the barrel off. I'd still need to do that if I went PVA, and I am not sure I want to go that route.

KRG has a specific recommendation, I’ll need to pull that up for you, and I just picked up another TRG-42 in 300WM myself.

So I also need to send out my barreled for a rebarrel on my original...

I have pulled a few trg barrels. Easy. A couple whacks with a rubber mallet on the action wrench handle and they pop free. Pick up a $90 mechforce vice. Throw the leather away that comes with it and just wrap the barrel with a wrap or two of computer paper. Will not slip with the bolts snugged down moderately tight. My 13 year old son pulled the barrel off one of mine. @bohem (PVA) has spun me up a few shouldered TRG barrels and they all headspace perfectly and shoot accurately as they should. I recommend these guys for sure.

Reactions: bohem
I would be reticent to pull a barrel at home if the front screw was drilled all the way through the chamber. You don't know if the thing is going to burr up in the tenon and drag the threads along with it. I have seen it happen in a couple of receivers before.

If you break it loose and it hangs up, feeling like it doesn't want to turn then stop and get the stub machined out.

If it spins off then no worries.

We can take off the barrel and make a new one for you, I have a pretty fair bit of experience hanging new tubes on TRG22s including my own.

Great rifles, if Sako would make lefty versions I probably would own several more.

You really can’t go wrong with Short action customs, Patriot Valley or GAPrecision. Trg barrels are known to be very hard to break free. I would have it done professionally at least for the first rebarrel. I was recently in the same boat and for me it seemed like each company backed a different caliber for what I was looking to do. So I went with the company that at the time was running in prs what I wanted. That ended up being GAP. In 6creedmoor. It shoots amazing. I feel like had I chosen the 6.5x47 which is what I think SAC was running at the time that would also shoot amazing.

If you know someone who has a lathe that can make you a relief cut it’s not hard to pull the barrel off a trg. I tried everything I could to get mine to break loose and had to have the relief cut by a buddy of mine and it spun right off. I used KRG’s action wrench and their barrel nut and actually ordered one of their barrels as well and it shot lights out for me. If you’re not into sending your rifle off I highly recommend that route, or any of the other options put forth in this thread. Can’t really go wrong any direction you choose

Thanks guys. It is headed off to SAC on Monday.

Reactions: Estes640
So I got a Mechforce vice I tried the whole paper thing with a 3 foot breaker bar... And the TRG 42 laughed at me.

Even properly torqued the barrel rotates in the vice whether you use a piece of paper or you use the leather pieces.

I suspect I’m just gonna have to send that bad boy out to somebody and have them cut the barrel off.

So I got a Mechforce vice I tried the whole paper thing with a 3 foot breaker bar... And the TRG 42 laughed at me.

Even properly torqued the barrel rotates in the vice whether you use a piece of paper or you use the leather pieces.

I suspect I’m just gonna have to send that bad boy out to somebody and have them cut the barrel off.
On both of mine all I had to do was hold pressure down with one hand and whack the handle with a decent size rubber mallet using the other. Two or three wraps and it was free. Did you try this or did you only use direct pressure? Also make sure the action wrench is just snug and not tight. I use finger tight with no play. You do not want to wrench down hard with an outside action wrench as you will bind the threads. My mechforce vice never slipped once I realized that the leather was junk. If you did the above then your barrel is just on their freakin tight.

I used no cheater pipe, but maybe you can hold down firm pressure with a cheater and have somoene else whach the handle to deliver that shock. All else fails then send it to PVA.

If the rest of the original barrel is ok I would just set it back with new threads and chamber.

TRG-42 2, GB 0

Whacked it with the dead blow hammer...

...broke my workbench!

Hummmm... I wonder if a TRG-42 can be used to start a chain reaction?

“Today in Maryland, a large radiation spike was detected in a suburban Maryland home. The home owner claimed is was just trying to remove a barrel from a Finnish sniper rifle, but on the third wack of his hammer he noticed the blue glow of Cherenkov radiation...”

The trg action is to nice a piece of equipment for me to learn on. I would give up while the action is straight. If you must continue doing it yourself keep me in mind for the trigger and stock if you damage the action. Just sayin.