• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 42 bolt knob

Re: TRG 42 bolt knob

I have recently thought about doing a TRG knob. If memory serves me right there was a post a while back about the bolt having different options on the handle. Mine is threaded and has the plastic looking ball on the end. PM with what you are looking for, maybe I'll experiment with one.

There is a thread about those, it is in the gunsmithing section I believe. I want to say there were at least 3 different versions just in that thread. Of course that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

As far as I'm aware, no one is doing any TRG knobs as a standard service/product.
Justin

Funny, the rifle is beautiful but the knob seems a little cheesy. Not that big of a deal but surprised no one makes an after market piece.

I see nothing wrong with the factory bolt knob... WAYY better than a factory Rem 700 or savage bolt handle....

I turned this one the other day. 6061 aluminum Duracoated tactical black.

KNOBTRG.jpg

I dunno, I'm cool with the OEM knob. I think Sako paid a lot of attention to weight on the trg, and the plastic ball is an artifact of this.

My TRG42 338 weighs less than my savage 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I turned this one the other day. 6061 aluminum Duracoated tactical black.

KNOBTRG.jpg
</div></div>

Gordo, how did you affix the knob to the handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gordo, how did you affix the knob to the handle? </div></div>

Mine has a 8mmx1.25 threaded stud on it. Had to cut a slight counter bore in the knob for a smooth transition.

I understand that there are different versions of the plastic ball attachment, the threaded stud is easy to deal with.

Unfortunately my bolt handle ball has plastic extensions for lack of a better word on the bottom which is a press fit into the handle. Then you screw a long set screw through the bottom of the knob which then spreads the plastic extensions into the hole in the handle providing a firm connection. Any body else have this type knob on their handles? My gun is brand new this month and was purchased from Euro Optics. I believe it would take some machine work to get rid of the cup at the end of the handle for the knob and possibly threading what ever straight part of the handle was left to screw on a new knob. Of course I would like the overall length of the handle and knob to be as close the stock configuration.

Thanks, T.Kifer

I actually love the stock bakelite/plastic knob on my TRG-22. It doesn't look as nice as El Gordo's (which is a very cool design)... but I can cycle it very comfortably, there is no knurling to hang up and it won't snag on gloves. You can put a solid grip on it and it just slides in the fingers.

I think Sako did put a lot of thought into that knob and weight isn't the only plus... it's smoothness. That polished factory knob is the best 'feeling' bolt I've ever worked.

What's the saying: "Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast?" I think the TRG smooth bolt knob was designed with that saying in mind.

That said... I still 'covet' El Greco's bolt knob design. That just looks great.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hi!
I mounted this on my TRG. it is in black titanium and is produced in Italy by the RDP.

RDP

The above post got me to thinking so I made this conversion handle. It's 5/16x24tpi on one end and 6mmx1.0 on the other to thread into the TRG bolt body.
It's .315" in diameter and appx the same length as the factory handle with round knob. Went ahead and milled flats on it for ease of install.

knobhandleTRG.jpg